How do I use backup?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I want to use the windows backup program to be able to "reinstall"
my computer to a known state. Basically, instead of every time
installing, applying patches, and reinstalling apps, I want to save
the current situation of my computer and to be able to get back to
this situation in future. I am a bit unsure how I should use the
backup utility as I currently have my system on D but all the boot
files are on C, i.e. boot.ini and config.sys and autoexec.bat are
on C. In dos terms C is my primary partiotion, and D is my extended
partition. However, because my extended partition was created by
win2000 setup, D is not a bootable partition, only C is bootable.
With that in mind, I am able to make a backup, but how would I
do a restore? I assume I cannot restore D while using D, or else
many files might be locked, and if I restore to C, then my boot.ini
will not know that the system has moved from D to C, and will only
offer to boot D. Any ideas?

Hi,

I don't think a backup on the same physical drive is a ggod idea. If the
drive fails, which it will some day, you're totally out of luck. You're
much better off using a second hard drive and using a program like Ghost
to clone your main drive. Ghost has an option to clone your drive so
your backup drive is bootable.

When your main drive fails it's just a matter of switching your drives
jumpers and cable location and you're good to go again. I normally clone
my main drive every Friday night. I actually have my second drive in a
removable tray so I can isolate it from the system until I want to
update its contents.

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor

In news:u6Kx45EpFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
js <js> typed:
> I want to use the windows backup program to be able to "reinstall"
> my computer to a known state. Basically, instead of every time
> installing, applying patches, and reinstalling apps, I want to save
> the current situation of my computer and to be able to get back to
> this situation in future. I am a bit unsure how I should use the
> backup utility as I currently have my system on D but all the boot
> files are on C, i.e. boot.ini and config.sys and autoexec.bat are
> on C. In dos terms C is my primary partiotion, and D is my extended
> partition. However, because my extended partition was created by
> win2000 setup, D is not a bootable partition, only C is bootable.
> With that in mind, I am able to make a backup, but how would I
> do a restore? I assume I cannot restore D while using D, or else
> many files might be locked, and if I restore to C, then my boot.ini
> will not know that the system has moved from D to C, and will only
> offer to boot D. Any ideas?

You would be much better off with third party imaging software that could be
set up to do this for you - I personally like Acronis True Image better than
Symantec Ghost. NTBackup is not really ideal for the purpose you describe.
I'm not sure how your somewhat complicated partition/drive scheme enters
into this, however - or why you have it that way.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> You would be much better off with third party imaging software that could be
> set up to do this for you - I personally like Acronis True Image better than
> Symantec Ghost. NTBackup is not really ideal for the purpose you describe.
> I'm not sure how your somewhat complicated partition/drive scheme enters
> into this, however - or why you have it that way.

Hello, Lanwench!
I give preference to Acronis True Image
[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/] too. I think
it's the best and quickest backup solution.
You may create an exact image "clone" of your HDDs configuration. It
doesn't matter on which partition you'll save your backup file, as
Acronis has secured zone for keeping images or save another copy on
DVD, as well. Also True Image has Startup Recovery Manager which allows
you to restore system automatically from HDD. Just press the F11 button
during the PC start up and you'll be able to restore your system in
just minutes. I really recommend you to try this way.
Good luck!

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:42:02 +0100, <js> wrote:

>I want to use the windows backup program to be able to "reinstall"
>my computer to a known state. Basically, instead of every time
>installing, applying patches, and reinstalling apps, I want to save
>the current situation of my computer and to be able to get back to
>this situation in future. I am a bit unsure how I should use the
>backup utility as I currently have my system on D but all the boot
>files are on C, i.e. boot.ini and config.sys and autoexec.bat are
>on C. In dos terms C is my primary partiotion, and D is my extended
>partition. However, because my extended partition was created by
>win2000 setup, D is not a bootable partition, only C is bootable.
>With that in mind, I am able to make a backup, but how would I
>do a restore? I assume I cannot restore D while using D, or else
>many files might be locked, and if I restore to C, then my boot.ini
>will not know that the system has moved from D to C, and will only
>offer to boot D. Any ideas?

A freeware solution using NTBackup can be achieved.

1. Install an alternate copy of W2K in D:
2. Edit c:\boot.ini to change the text on the alternate install to W2K Alternate.
You can also change the timeout and default here, but it might be easier in
control panel / System / Advanced / Start up.....
3. Boot the alternate install and backup ALL OF C: to a folder on D:
4. Boot normally to C:

When you wish to restore, boot to the alternate and restore.

Chad

As a freeware WinZIP alternative, you might want to try JustZIPit

http://free-backup.info/justzipit.html

It uses full ZIP-64 so it has no problems with long filenames and huge
archives. It's also very fast and simple to use (just adds a context
menu for ZIP/UnZIP operations).

- Chad

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> A freeware solution using NTBackup can be achieved.
>
> 1. Install an alternate copy of W2K in D:
> 2. Edit c:\boot.ini to change the text on the alternate install to W2K
Alternate.
> You can also change the timeout and default here, but it might be
easier in
> control panel / System / Advanced / Start up.....
> 3. Boot the alternate install and backup ALL OF C: to a folder on D:
> 4. Boot normally to C:
>
> When you wish to restore, boot to the alternate and restore.

This is 100% good. I will do it this way. The only problem is how
to copy the restore directory to dvd (for extra extra back up),
winzip in notoriously bad with long filenames and filenames
which contain unicode, and cd/dvd format is even worse. Maybe
rar will better, perhaps pgpdisk. (I never /buy/ software)

dl

(I never /buy/ software)
warez I assume