Event Viewer will not execute (W2K SP4)

Whenever I click my event viewer icon (or execute the exec in the Explorer
window) a Program error box message pops up with the message below. This is
a first. I've never had this happen. Help please.

"Program error (title of error box):
mmc.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to
restart the program. An error log is being created."

Just for the record, Event Viewer is mysteriously working again.

"Who knows what errors lurk in the heart of Windows?
The Shadow knows." (Anybody got his address?)