upgrading 2000 to XP

Neff

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005

I am trying to upgrade our laptop from Windows 2000 Proffessional to Windows
XP Proffessional so that all the computers on our network have the same
operating system, however when trying to upgrade I received the following
message: "Windows XP Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows
2000 Proffessional to Microsoft XP Professional. Setup cannot continue." Now
against my better judgement I did try a full upgrade however this caused a
system failure and when trying toreboot i had a choice of which operating
system i wanted to boot from however neither system worked. Luckily I was
able to roll back the computer so that it is now as it was before i tried the
insatall, but now i am at a loss as to how to upgrade to XP, all the info ive
read says the upgrade from 2000 to XP is simple so where am I going wrong?

Neff wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade our laptop from Windows 2000 Proffessional to Windows
> XP Proffessional so that all the computers on our network have the same
> operating system, however when trying to upgrade I received the following
> message: "Windows XP Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows
> 2000 Proffessional to Microsoft XP Professional. Setup cannot continue." Now
> against my better judgement I did try a full upgrade however this caused a
> system failure and when trying toreboot i had a choice of which operating
> system i wanted to boot from however neither system worked. Luckily I was
> able to roll back the computer so that it is now as it was before i tried the
> insatall, but now i am at a loss as to how to upgrade to XP, all the info ive
> read says the upgrade from 2000 to XP is simple so where am I going wrong?

The error specific message you've cited indicates that you're trying to
use an OEM WinXP CD to perform this upgrade. This won't work, for two
reasons:

1) OEM CDs are specifically designed to perform only clean
installations, and *cannot* be used to perform in-place upgrades of
earlier operating systems.

2) The license for that OEM CD is permanently bound to the computer
with which it was purchased, and cannot be transferred to any other
computer, under any circumstances.

If you wish to upgrade all of your computers to WinXP, you'll either
have to purchase a separate WinXP Pro Upgrade license for each computer,
or look into Volume Licensing.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: