Can win98 and w2k manage safely a 90G partition ?

My 120G Maxtor has 3 partitions:
c: 10G Fat32
d: 19G unformatted
e: 90G Fat32

I installed win2000 a month ago on c:, and it was working
properly. Two days ago, I installed win98 on e: using a
procedure described in a group post: after installing win98,
I ran the win2000 setup and chose to repair the w2k
installation. Everything went as expected, and I had my 2
systems working.

But then I had second thoughts and decided to clean install
win98 on c:, then clean install win2000 on d:, leaving my
data on e:. I intended to use Partition Resizer before. So I
ran the win2000 defragmenter on e: It went on for some time,
and then I stopped it (the right way) because I wanted to
delete something from the drive. After exiting the defrag, I
saw that a large sub of e: was damaged. When I rebooted in
win2000, the system couldn't even read e:

So I booted win98 and e: was readable, except for the sub
mentioned above.

Just now, having put this in writing, I can see what went
wrong: the win2000 defragmenter misplaced win98 files. I
should have defragged e: in win98, since it is the chief there.

But I am not entirely satisfied, and here is why. A couple
of years ago, I partitioned that same hard drive as
described above, and I used the Maxblast utility (described
at the end of this post). I ran win98 exclusively.
Everything was fine for a long time, until I scanned e: with
Norton anti-virus. Soon after (probably the same day), I
lost all the data on e: and there was a new sub called
ncdtree on it. That was 6 months ago.

I always thought that the cause was one of 2 things: either
NAV did a stupid thing, or maxblast did. But now, I am not
so sure. Maybe I was the one who did a stupid thing. I need
to know. The data on e: at the time was the contents of my
audio cd's. Two weeks ago, I started once again to feed e:
with music, and I had an accident again. I need to have
things clarified. Any thoughts ?

-----
What exactly does MaxBlast do?
The MaxBlast installation software will partition and
format your hard drive to make it ready for use. It will
also install basic system files which are needed to make
your hard drive bootable.

If you have a BIOS capacity limitation, MaxBlast Plus II
will load the EZ-Drive BIOS extension (EZ-BIOS) software or
MaxBlast 3 or newer will load the Dynamic Drive Overlay
(DDO) to the hard drive so that the system is forced to
recognize the full capacity of the hard drive.
-----

dl

Personally I've allways found it best to use the win2k cd to partition.
From recollection I used default w98 cd tools to partition.
I've seen to many problems using third party tools to partition, prior to
installing an o/s

DL wrote:
> Personally I've allways found it best to use the win2k cd to partition.
> From recollection I used default w98 cd tools to partition.
> I've seen to many problems using third party tools to partition, prior to
> installing an o/s
>
> "Sinus Logarithme" <tlobbosNOS-PAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>>My 120G Maxtor has 3 partitions:
>>c: 10G Fat32
>>d: 19G unformatted
>>e: 90G Fat32
>>
>>I installed win2000 a month ago on c:, and it was working
>>properly. Two days ago, I installed win98 on e: using a
>>procedure described in a group post: after installing win98,
>>I ran the win2000 setup and chose to repair the w2k
>>installation. Everything went as expected, and I had my 2
>>systems working.
>>
>>But then I had second thoughts and decided to clean install
>>win98 on c:, then clean install win2000 on d:, leaving my
>>data on e:. I intended to use Partition Resizer before. So I
>>ran the win2000 defragmenter on e: It went on for some time,
>>and then I stopped it (the right way) because I wanted to
>>delete something from the drive. After exiting the defrag, I
>>saw that a large sub of e: was damaged. When I rebooted in
>>win2000, the system couldn't even read e:
>>
>>So I booted win98 and e: was readable, except for the sub
>>mentioned above.
>>
>>Just now, having put this in writing, I can see what went
>>wrong: the win2000 defragmenter misplaced win98 files. I
>>should have defragged e: in win98, since it is the chief there.
>>
>>But I am not entirely satisfied, and here is why. A couple
>>of years ago, I partitioned that same hard drive as
>>described above, and I used the Maxblast utility (described
>>at the end of this post). I ran win98 exclusively.
>>Everything was fine for a long time, until I scanned e: with
>>Norton anti-virus. Soon after (probably the same day), I
>>lost all the data on e: and there was a new sub called
>>ncdtree on it. That was 6 months ago.
>>
>>I always thought that the cause was one of 2 things: either
>>NAV did a stupid thing, or maxblast did. But now, I am not
>>so sure. Maybe I was the one who did a stupid thing. I need
>>to know. The data on e: at the time was the contents of my
>>audio cd's. Two weeks ago, I started once again to feed e:
>>with music, and I had an accident again. I need to have
>>things clarified. Any thoughts ?
>>
>>-----
>>What exactly does MaxBlast do?
>> The MaxBlast installation software will partition and
>>format your hard drive to make it ready for use. It will
>>also install basic system files which are needed to make
>>your hard drive bootable.
>>
>>If you have a BIOS capacity limitation, MaxBlast Plus II
>>will load the EZ-Drive BIOS extension (EZ-BIOS) software or
>>MaxBlast 3 or newer will load the Dynamic Drive Overlay
>>(DDO) to the hard drive so that the system is forced to
>>recognize the full capacity of the hard drive.
>>-----

Thanks for the feedback. As much as I can remember, I
partitioned the drive using win98's fdisk, and I then used
maxblast for the DDO.