Slow painting of desktop icons. Win2K

Just recently the boot up of Win2k on one of my systems has started to take
much longer. When the desktop is first displayed, all the shortcut icons are
the default MS ones (with the windows logo flag on them, if I'm seeing
correctly). The system then takes about 2 to 4 minutes to 'paint' these
icons with their correct appearance. During this time the 'egg-timer' is
showing and the 'harddisk operation' LED is glowing full on. It never used
to be this way.

There is only one thing that I can think of that I have done that would have
affected my boot-up time. I would welcome some advice of what it is that I
can't think of that I have done, which I shouldn't have done!

What I did do is this: My system (win2k SP4) has 2 physical drives: C is 60
Mb, D is 40 Mb (and contains the pagesys file). I wanted to use the 60 Mb
drive in another computer, replacing it with the 40 Mb drive. I cleared the
40 Mb drive, tried to clone the 60 Mb drive onto it and tried to boot from
it (with the 60 Mb drive completely disconnected). For reasons I now
understand, this process was a failure and I reverted to the original
configuration. I don' think that anything on the 60 Mb drive was changed,
aside from moving the pagesys file onto it for a while, them moving it back
to the 40 Mb But my slow start up symptoms started right after this, and I
cannot understand what is causing the problem.

I don't expect an explanation, but some guidance on things to check,
research or read for myself would be most welcome.
1 answer Last reply
More about slow painting desktop icons win2k

    Further to my earlier post, I have now looked at the System Event Log. I am
    getting repeated log entries like:

    "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0. "

    This only happens at start up. There are no further entries after start is
    complete and I experience no performance problems during subsequent system
    use. Any ideas what could consistently cause such initial apparent hardware
    problems?

    By the way, Computer Management reports my Drive C as 'layout: simple, type:
    dynamic, healthy, system' but reports my D drive as 'layout: partition,
    type: basic, healthy, page file. What is the signifcance of the difference
    between 'simple' and 'partition', and between 'dynamic' and 'basic'?

    "FP Learner" <nospamfp.learner@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Just recently the boot up of Win2k on one of my systems has started to
    take
    > much longer. When the desktop is first displayed, all the shortcut icons
    are
    > the default MS ones (with the windows logo flag on them, if I'm seeing
    > correctly). The system then takes about 2 to 4 minutes to 'paint' these
    > icons with their correct appearance. During this time the 'egg-timer' is
    > showing and the 'harddisk operation' LED is glowing full on. It never used
    > to be this way.
    >
    > There is only one thing that I can think of that I have done that would
    have
    > affected my boot-up time. I would welcome some advice of what it is that I
    > can't think of that I have done, which I shouldn't have done!
    >
    > What I did do is this: My system (win2k SP4) has 2 physical drives: C is
    60
    > Mb, D is 40 Mb (and contains the pagesys file). I wanted to use the 60 Mb
    > drive in another computer, replacing it with the 40 Mb drive. I cleared
    the
    > 40 Mb drive, tried to clone the 60 Mb drive onto it and tried to boot from
    > it (with the 60 Mb drive completely disconnected). For reasons I now
    > understand, this process was a failure and I reverted to the original
    > configuration. I don' think that anything on the 60 Mb drive was changed,
    > aside from moving the pagesys file onto it for a while, them moving it
    back
    > to the 40 Mb But my slow start up symptoms started right after this, and
    > cannot understand what is causing the problem.
    >
    > I don't expect an explanation, but some guidance on things to check,
    > research or read for myself would be most welcome.

Desktop Icons Windows