Closed

Too long filenames to delete..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 19, 2005 6:50:09 PM

Hi,

When cleaning up some w2k computers in a classroom Explorer refuses to
delete a few files with *very* long filenames. It complains with 'file not
found'. The same happens when I try to delete these files from the
commandline using wildcards.

How can I delete files with extremely long filenames in win2k?

Thanks for a clue on this issue

rod

More about : long filenames delete

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:50:10 PM

From: "Rod Janson" <rodney@janson.net>

| Hi,
|
| When cleaning up some w2k computers in a classroom Explorer refuses to
| delete a few files with *very* long filenames. It complains with 'file not
| found'. The same happens when I try to delete these files from the
| commandline using wildcards.
|
| How can I delete files with extremely long filenames in win2k?
|
| Thanks for a clue on this issue
|
| rod

If they are in deep folders, use the SUBST.EXE command to map a drive letter to a sub folder
and try to delete them.

Execute SUBST /? for the syntax.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:50:09 +0200, "Rod Janson" <rodney@janson.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When cleaning up some w2k computers in a classroom Explorer refuses to
>delete a few files with *very* long filenames. It complains with 'file not
>found'. The same happens when I try to delete these files from the
>commandline using wildcards.
>
>How can I delete files with extremely long filenames in win2k?
>
>Thanks for a clue on this issue
>
>rod

See tip 9651 » How can I delete a folder that returns PATH TOO LONG?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:27:51 PM

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> skrev i melding

> See tip 9651 » How can I delete a folder that returns PATH TOO LONG?
> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Thanks but it is the filename itself which is too long, not the folders or
the path...

Any clues on how to delete files with too long filenames? Rename using
explorer does not work either :-(

Rod
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:27:52 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:27:51 +0200, "Rod Janson" <rodney@janson.net> wrote:

>"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> skrev i melding
>
>> See tip 9651 » How can I delete a folder that returns PATH TOO LONG?
>> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
>
>Thanks but it is the filename itself which is too long, not the folders or
>the path...
>
>Any clues on how to delete files with too long filenames? Rename using
>explorer does not work either :-(
>
>Rod

Try copying the good files and sub-folders to a temporary location. Then run DelFolder
Then create the folder and move the temo stuff back.

Have you tried using the CMD.EXE windows and the short file name.

Let's assume the file name is in the C:xyz folder and the long file name is
LongFileName012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789.txt

1. Open a CMD.EXE window
2. pushd c:\xyz
3. dir /x l*.txt
4. del /q LONGFI~1.TXT