Original Doom on a 8800 GTX?!?

I have always wondered this, what if you run the Original Doom on a 8800 GTX, or even a x1900 XTX, how many frames per second would you get. Could someone try this out, I think seeing who could get the highest FPS on Doom would be an awesome competition. I bet someone could get over 2000 FPS, LOL :D!!!
49 answers Last reply
More about original doom 8800
  1. you're. so. cool.
  2. Quote:
    you're. so. cool.

?... I'm serious about this... :?. I was just wonder if anyone (I can't afford one) could try this out, just out of curiosity.
  3. The original Doom didn't use a 3d card. It was software only so it wouldn't matter what video card you have. The CPU would make a difference.
  4. Well, what about Duke Nukem 3D, or Quake 1, or Unreal. I know those used a video card. :)
  5. I think the CPU would bottleneck the card before you could achieve the max amount of frames.
  6. I think being DOS based would somehow be a limiting factor as well.
  7. Quote:
    I have always wondered this, what if you run the Original Doom on a 8800 GTX, or even a x1900 XTX, how many frames per second would you get. Could someone try this out, I think seeing who could get the highest FPS on Doom would be an awesome competition. I bet someone could get over 2000 FPS, LOL :D!!!

LAWLZZZZZ OMG LETS GET LIKE 1337 FRAMES GUYS LAWLERZ!!11!!!ELEVEN!!!!! ZOMG GUYS THAT WOULD BE SO 1337
  8. it wouldnt matter. because the human eye really cant detect a difference once it gets to 60 frames and up. and the amount of tearing would be crazy. the monitor wouldnt be able to refresh fast enough.
  9. Quote:

LAWLZZZZZ OMG LETS GET LIKE 1337 FRAMES GUYS LAWLERZ!!11!!!ELEVEN!!!!! ZOMG GUYS THAT WOULD BE SO 1337

Even better lets play pong on an 8800GTX SLi. Well I wouldn't knock the guy too hard he's just curious...
  10. I know, the human eye can only "see" 24 FPS, but I was just wondering how much technology has advanced and how many FPS would be the outcome. Hell, even try HL1.
  11. Quote:
    The original Doom didn't use a 3d card. It was software only so it wouldn't matter what video card you have. The CPU would make a difference.
    If you use Doom Legacy or ZdoomGL it would... I have them both on my system right now.
  12. Quote:
    I know, the human eye can only "see" 24 FPS, but I was just wondering how much technology has advanced and how many FPS would be the outcome. Hell, even try HL1.

Actually not true that's most likely a myth perpetuated by the fact that movies are either 24 FPS or 30 FPS. But they have blur motion so it's different for them. It really differs from person to person how many frames per second you can "see".

Don't let this thread turn into another one of these damn how many "FPSes ken teh human I C guyz??" threads please!!
  13. I got 808.7 FPS in Doom 1, Demo1 w/Doom Legacy 1.32 in OpenGL mode@ 640x480x32 NOAA and NOAF. Thats on my 2.8GHz P4 with a Radeon X800XT.
  14. That's why I put quotes on "see". :wink:
  15. Your a bit off on 24fps. Doom was limited to 50 or 60, as I remember, through DOS.
    It would probably be as stressfull on your cpu as writing on this forum. Can remember my Rage Fury and K6/2 hitting a 200+fps min. :lol:
  16. Quote:
    I got 808.7 FPS in Doom 1, Demo1 w/Doom Legacy 1.32 in OpenGL mode@ 640x480x32 NOAA and NOAF. Thats on my 2.8GHz P4 with a Radeon X800XT.

Thank you for replying, anyone else.
  17. Quote:
    Your a bit off on 24fps. Doom was limited to 50 or 60, as I remember, through DOS.
    It would probably be as stressfull on your cpu as writing on this forum.
    Im pretty sure that Doom1 originally had a 35FPS limit... I could be wrong on that. The limit was removed later in most source ports.
  18. Yup. That was it.

Quote:
    Can remember my Rage Fury and K6/2 hitting a 200+fps min.

OpenGL Doom^
  19. Quote:
    I know, the human eye can only "see" 24 FPS

My human eye can see that u need a girl
  20. Don't flame me!... Come on...
  21. i played that game before.
    it was extremely gay.
    why were people gay in the early 90's?
    i do not understand.
    i guess it was before my time.
    payce.
  22. No we need to try sopwith on an overclocked New Gen Proc. Hell that game was unplayable at 8.77 Mhz!!!! Needed to turn my 8086 down to the 4 Mhz setting.
  23. Here's a silly question: if my LCD monitor has a response time of 5 ms, and I get 200 fps in some game, that means the pixels change as fast as the monitor can change them, i.e. a new image every 5 ms, right? What happens if I get more than 200 fps? Will it look horrible? Can something get damaged?
  24. Quote:
    Here's a silly question: if my LCD monitor has a response time of 5 ms, and I get 200 fps in some game, that means the pixels change as fast as the monitor can change them, i.e. a new image every 5 ms, right? What happens if I get more than 200 fps? Will it look horrible? Can something get damaged?

response time has nothing to do with refresh rate. what your 5 ms means is that it takes 5 ms for the monitor to respond to a change on the screen (ie something happens). your monitor (almost guaranteed) has a frefresh rate of 60. 60 hz. what happens when your computer puts out 200 frames per second or w/e is the monitor throws out unecessary frames. the computer is giving 200, but the monitor is only using 60.
  25. Duh.... Yup, that was a silly question, I should have figured it. Thanks!

This begs another question though: if the 8800 GTX achieves 120 fps in some game, while, say, a 7900 GS gets only 61, it doesn't make the slightest difference after all? All these guys who overclock CPUs and GPUs are in fact limited at 60 fps or so by their monitors anyway?
  26. Well 60 fps is somewhat of the line you want to stay above in games. The idea of overclocking and getting faster hardware is to be able to enable more intensive graphics and play the newest games while still remaining above the 60 fps mark. Sure a 7900GS will give you Oblivion gameplay, but an 8800GTX will give you Oblivion gameplay and "eye candy" which, to me, makes a huge difference in my game experience.
  27. OCs are done to improve fps in the heaviest titles. In older titles and "lighter" engines, yes, they are limited if they turn Vsync on to avoid tearing.
    But for instance, if u try to run R6 Vegas with a 8800gtx that will go down at 25fps, you maybe manage to never go below 30 with a good OC. There a 7900gs would do like 3 or 4fps...
  28. Quote:
    Duh.... Yup, that was a silly question, I should have figured it. Thanks!

This begs another question though: if the 8800 GTX achieves 120 fps in some game, while, say, a 7900 GS gets only 61, it doesn't make the slightest difference after all? All these guys who overclock CPUs and GPUs are in fact limited at 60 fps or so by their monitors anyway?

It's all to ensure that you have 'headroom'. Even if your minumum if a very playable 60fps - and to ensure long term playablility, because a year down the road, that 7900gs may preform as a 7600gs does on current games. Image quality also gets better with each next gen.
  29. i got 989 FPS on my 6800gs

:D
    :D

and thats "old" technology
  30. Yeah, makes sense now. Thanks!

I was looking at this benchmark and trying to decide what would really do the trick...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gf8800-games/titan_4x.gif
  31. Quote:
    i played that game before.
    it was extremely gay.
    i do not understand.
    payce.

Doom was comparable with how stunning Oblivion is today; x 2. It was overall a different type of 3D and a huge leap forward, compared to Wolf3D or Catacombs. Play Wolf3D the whole way through. Then play Doom. You'l understand.
  32. hey tool did you ever post the pics of your case on your site? I remember way back when you had the plans but didnt make the case yet. Oh, just so i dont hijack the thread, doom was teh shizz 1337 pwnage gamxorz forever
  33. I'm going to try HL on my 945 + 7600gt, I'll get back to you on that.

Anybody tried Doom or HL on an X6700 + 8800GTX? That i'd like to see. Expecially the 5GHz Core 2 Extreme (found on the net, somebody with 100K 3Dmark 2k1 scores).
  34. Quote:
    I know, the human eye can only "see" 24 FPS, but I was just wondering how much technology has advanced and how many FPS would be the outcome. Hell, even try HL1.

This isn't true. I've heard 30 and 60 given over the years. The one thing I know is that I see problems in movies all the time when they do fast pans. I saw them all over the place in Attack of the Clones and, as I recall, Revenge. I've noticed in some more recent (and not digitally filmed) movies as well.

If you're running forward in a game, I think you can live comfortably with 24 or 30 frames....but look left and right and things get jumpier, IME.
  35. Quote:
    it was extremely gay.
    i do not understand.
    payce.

Wtf?
  36. Quote:
    it was extremely gay.
    i do not understand.
    payce.

WTF dude? doom was one of the most influential games of all time! And it rawks, even today, 13 years later. If doom is gay then i guess im super gay.
  37. Quote:
    Anybody tried Doom or HL on an X6700 + 8800GTX? That i'd like to see. Expecially the 5GHz Core 2 Extreme (found on the net, somebody with 100K 3Dmark 2k1 scores).

Errrr...have you read any of this?

Look, to everyone that's posted here, this is monumentally uncool. Playing games for 18 hours a day and getting totally 1337 I honestly don't see a problem with. Neither is there a problem with spending a couple of days tweaking an overclock to get every last MHz out of your system.

But trying to see how many FPS you can get on a 15 year old game on your new hardware is seriously without point. In fact the only point to this is if you want to see the number 2000 written down on a screen but someone ripped off the '2' and '0' keys on your keyboard. In which case, use Windows Calculator.

If you still want to do this, I will PayPal someone $1 if they get exactly 1337fps in any game without a frame limiter or any cheating.
  38. Quote:
    it was extremely gay.
    i do not understand.
    payce.

39. Quote:
    ... Neither is there a problem with spending a couple of days tweaking an overclock to get every last MHz out of your system.

But trying to see how many FPS you can get on a 15 year old game on your new hardware is seriously without point. In fact the only point to this is if you want to see the number 2000 written down on a screen but someone ripped off the '2' and '0' keys on your keyboard.

Is it a crime to be curious?

I just want to see how far hardware has gone in just a short span of time. A waste of time as it may be, somebody had the system already set-up and I was just curious to see how fast it'd go. Of course there is that simple fact that we can't notice the difference in fps once it goes 40 and up.
  40. well i know its not doom but i played wing commander 1 on my amd 1800 and it was pretty much the fastest game ive ever seen. The game was like in 200 x fast foward so it was un playable and seeing all the struff fly by the screen so fast gave ya a nice bit headache real fast
  41. Quote:
    well i know its not doom but i played wing commander 1 on my amd 1800 and it was pretty much the fastest game ive ever seen. The game was like in 200 x fast foward so it was un playable and seeing all the struff fly by the screen so fast gave ya a nice bit headache real fast

It was like that on a pentium. Assuming it will work in windows, you'd have to use a program like moslo to slow the game down.

You could also do a search on wing commander and see if there are more modern tools. There are all kinds of projects to upgrade the graphics on WC, though I can't say I've tried them. Most of them use the WC5 or Freespace2 engine, as I recall.
  42. Quote:
    Is it a crime to be curious?

I just want to see how far hardware has gone in just a short span of time. A waste of time as it may be, somebody had the system already set-up and I was just curious to see how fast it'd go. Of course there is that simple fact that we can't notice the difference in fps once it goes 40 and up.

Remember seeing a chart that started around a Pentium 66 and ended at AMD's 64bit line. The progression showed 30 to 50 times (can't remember precisely), or 3000 to 5000%. 8O

Ah hah. Here you go. Interesting. Toms "Mother of all CPU charts".
  43. Quote:
    MasterMike5280 wrote:

This isn't true. I've heard 30 and 60 given over the years. The one thing I know is that I see problems in movies all the time when they do fast pans. I saw them all over the place in Attack of the Clones and, as I recall, Revenge. I've noticed in some more recent (and not digitally filmed) movies as well.

If you're running forward in a game, I think you can live comfortably with 24 or 30 frames....but look left and right and things get jumpier, IME.

interesting you brought that up and correct it does change from person to person but it is not a constant rate(it is normally the same) but not always in times were faster image processing is needed the brain can do so accelerating the body clock and in certain cases has been know to use only monochromatic scale to allow for more FPS !!! UBER LEET PWNS ALL!!!!
    sory if i bored you with that
  44. I'm interested. Please add more information you have on the topic. I've read some stuff on the brain and how it views motion but this info is totally new to me.
  45. Quote:

the original doom and doom II, uses CPU
    to do the calculations, so its totally useless to put a hidh end videocard..
    but anyway, they're still limited ( the patched version of DOOM 1 and doom II ) to certain ammount of FPS ( Ithink 30 )
    while wolfeinstein 1 and doom1 unpatched had a glich
    where the game could go instanely fast, that fast you couldnt control the character and youd die instantly, thanks to too fast cpu...
  46. Quote:
    I'm interested. Please add more information you have on the topic. I've read some stuff on the brain and how it views motion but this info is totally new to me.

i will have to find my original source of that information may be a while as a bit busy atm but will defiantly get back to you on that
  47. Quote:
    it was extremely gay.
    i do not understand.
    payce.

Doom was comparable with how stunning Oblivion is today; x 2. It was overall a different type of 3D and a huge leap forward, compared to Wolf3D or Catacombs. Play Wolf3D the whole way through. Then play Doom. You'l understand.

If he does I doubt he will know what you mean. If you weren't there in the beginning to experience the progress in technology it's just gone.
    From blocky images to Glide and OpenGL with Quake 2 that was a change, nothing was the same anymore.
    Computer Shopper used to be almost 3 inches thick and took a month to thumb through LOL.
  48. LOL I remember Computer Shopper. My parents recently sold my childhood home so we went to help them move. Cleaning out the basement where my old room was I had about 200 Lbs of old computer magazines. PC Mag, Computer Shopper, etc. still in Chronological order. My first computer mag ever was when they were introducing EGA graphics, and how 16 onscreen colors at once will revolutionize the computer industry, and usher in an era of high graphics games!!
  49. 200 lbs., bet there were only about 5 CS Mags LOL.
    It's really amazing how far we've come in such a short time isn't it ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx FPS Graphics