Virtual Memory not increasing IDE light on non stop

Windows 2000 takes 2 hours just to get to the desk top, I have the page
file set to start at 1000 and max 2000 still the hard drive runs
non-stop and takes forever to boot or run anything. Just runs and
runs. I have 384 MB of RAM. I get a warning of minum virtual memory
to small but I have it set to start at 1000 alrady. was at 768 before
I even changed it.

I've replace the RAM with two new sticks of 128mb pc 100 ram, no
change.

This all happened after I put AOL on my computer (only needed the demo
for a week before cable company came out now I have a crashed machine)
lol

The one time I tryed to get into safe mode it stoped at agp440.sys or
something. Boot last know good didn't work either, still slow like a
286.

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory increasing light stop

    All the signs of spyware/port trojan attack.

    uninstall AOL malware
    update and run you spyware and AV checkers
    run chkdsk /f on the drive
    defrag the drive
    set paging to system managed assuming you have plenty of disk space.

    I think you are right, Trojan, i've never seen a hard drive run like
    that in all the 100ths of PC's i've built for myself and other people
    on the side.

    AOL has been deleted.
    wish I could get to them but I can't, just two slow can't load them.
    2000 has done that at start up and I've run scandisk w/ surface scan
    from a boot disk
    already was system manged and there is 3GB of space.

    Hellotalktome13@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Windows 2000 takes 2 hours just to get to the desk top, I have the page
    > file set to start at 1000 and max 2000 still the hard drive runs
    > non-stop and takes forever to boot or run anything. Just runs and
    > runs. I have 384 MB of RAM. I get a warning of minum virtual memory
    > to small but I have it set to start at 1000 alrady. was at 768 before
    > I even changed it.
    >
    > I've replace the RAM with two new sticks of 128mb pc 100 ram, no
    > change.
    >
    > This all happened after I put AOL on my computer (only needed the demo
    > for a week before cable company came out now I have a crashed machine)
    > lol
    Hi,

    You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
    on the computer?

    If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

    PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
    here:

    CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
    6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
    http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

    Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue as well:

    System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

    This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
    uninstall it:

    Start Regedit.exe

    Locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
    Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

    Locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
    Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

    Reboot the computer.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Virtual Memory Windows