Evil Blight

This spell, evil blight, is listed in the HotU manual as one of the new
Sorceror/Wizard spells. However when making a character up for HotU, it
wasn't available to choose among the other 6th level spells. Is it Arcane
or Divine?

Are there any other spells listed as arcane which aren't. I think Tide of
Battle might be one too.

Patrick
25 answers Last reply
More about evil blight

    "Patrick Dobson" <pjdd@oikumene.freeserve.co.uk> looked up from reading
    the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    signs say:

    >This spell, evil blight, is listed in the HotU manual as one of the new
    >Sorceror/Wizard spells. However when making a character up for HotU, it
    >wasn't available to choose among the other 6th level spells. Is it Arcane
    >or Divine?
    >
    >Are there any other spells listed as arcane which aren't. I think Tide of
    >Battle might be one too.

    You must have a pretty strange manual.

    Mine contains no mention of either of those spells anywhere in it.
    [North American release.]

    Xocyll

    Patrick Dobson wrote:
    > This spell, evil blight, is listed in the HotU manual as one of the
    > new Sorceror/Wizard spells. However when making a character up for
    > HotU, it wasn't available to choose among the other 6th level spells.
    > Is it Arcane or Divine?

    According to "spells.2da", line 566, it's only marked as a level 5 Innate
    spell.

    > Are there any other spells listed as arcane which aren't. I think
    > Tide of Battle might be one too.

    Yes, it's the same, lvl. 9 Innate.

    HTH
    Hans

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    > "Patrick Dobson" <pjdd@oikumene.freeserve.co.uk> looked up from reading
    > the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    > signs say:
    >
    > >This spell, evil blight, is listed in the HotU manual as one of the new
    > >Sorceror/Wizard spells. However when making a character up for HotU, it
    > >wasn't available to choose among the other 6th level spells. Is it
    Arcane
    > >or Divine?
    > >
    > >Are there any other spells listed as arcane which aren't. I think Tide
    of
    > >Battle might be one too.
    >
    > You must have a pretty strange manual.
    >
    > Mine contains no mention of either of those spells anywhere in it.
    > [North American release.]

    UK Manual, page 48 listing the new Sorceror/Wizard spells. For level 6
    lists Bigby's Forceful hand, Evil Blight, Isaac's Greater Missile Storm and
    Undeath to Death. The next page, 49, in the listing for Level 9 spells
    lists Bigby's Crushing Hand, Black Blade of Disaster and Tide of Battle.

    I assume that these are typo's in the UK Manual.

    Patrick
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Patrick Dobson" <pjdd@oikumene.freeserve.co.uk> looked up from reading
    the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    signs say:

    >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    >> "Patrick Dobson" <pjdd@oikumene.freeserve.co.uk> looked up from reading
    >> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    >> signs say:
    >>
    >> >This spell, evil blight, is listed in the HotU manual as one of the new
    >> >Sorceror/Wizard spells. However when making a character up for HotU, it
    >> >wasn't available to choose among the other 6th level spells. Is it
    >Arcane
    >> >or Divine?
    >> >
    >> >Are there any other spells listed as arcane which aren't. I think Tide
    >of
    >> >Battle might be one too.
    >>
    >> You must have a pretty strange manual.
    >>
    >> Mine contains no mention of either of those spells anywhere in it.
    >> [North American release.]
    >>
    >UK Manual, page 48 listing the new Sorceror/Wizard spells. For level 6
    >lists Bigby's Forceful hand, Evil Blight, Isaac's Greater Missile Storm and
    >Undeath to Death. The next page, 49, in the listing for Level 9 spells
    >lists Bigby's Crushing Hand, Black Blade of Disaster and Tide of Battle.

    The NA release only lists 3 spells at level 6.

    >I assume that these are typo's in the UK Manual.

    An error certainly.

    I wonder where on earth the printer/publisher got their information?

    Xocyll
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:53:28 +0200, "Hans Wein"
    <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Patrick Dobson wrote:
    >> This spell, evil blight, is listed in the HotU manual as one of the
    >> new Sorceror/Wizard spells. However when making a character up for
    >> HotU, it wasn't available to choose among the other 6th level spells.
    >> Is it Arcane or Divine?
    >
    >According to "spells.2da", line 566, it's only marked as a level 5 Innate
    >spell.
    >
    >> Are there any other spells listed as arcane which aren't. I think
    >> Tide of Battle might be one too.
    >
    >Yes, it's the same, lvl. 9 Innate.
    >
    >HTH
    >Hans

    Since the spells are there how could someone edit spells.2da to make
    it a cleric spell?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Drax wrote:
    > Since the spells are there how could someone edit spells.2da to make
    > it a cleric spell?

    Columns 11 - 16 are where the spell is assigned to a specific class at a
    specific spell level. Column 12 is for clerics. In the row for the
    spell, replace the **** in Column 12 with the level of spell you wish it
    to be (e.g. 5, which is its innate level). Your cleric will be able to
    choose it when he/she is able to cast 5th level spells. (Assuming all
    the other resources for the spell exist. I checked Evil Blight and the
    script does exist, whether or not it actually works is another matter...)
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will wrote:

    > Drax wrote:
    >
    >> Since the spells are there how could someone edit spells.2da to make
    >> it a cleric spell?
    >

    > Columns 11 - 16 are where the spell is assigned to a specific class at a
    > specific spell level. Column 12 is for clerics. In the row for the
    > spell, replace the **** in Column 12 with the level of spell you wish it
    > to be (e.g. 5, which is its innate level). Your cleric will be able to
    > choose it when he/she is able to cast 5th level spells. (Assuming all
    > the other resources for the spell exist. I checked Evil Blight and the
    > script does exist, whether or not it actually works is another matter...)

    Oi, forgot to mention put the modified spells.2da into your /override
    directory. :)
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications
    http://www.pyric.com/

    If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:47:36 GMT, Barry Scott Will
    <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote:

    >Drax wrote:
    >> Since the spells are there how could someone edit spells.2da to make
    >> it a cleric spell?
    >

    >Columns 11 - 16 are where the spell is assigned to a specific class at a
    >specific spell level. Column 12 is for clerics. In the row for the
    >spell, replace the **** in Column 12 with the level of spell you wish it
    >to be (e.g. 5, which is its innate level). Your cleric will be able to
    >choose it when he/she is able to cast 5th level spells. (Assuming all
    >the other resources for the spell exist. I checked Evil Blight and the
    >script does exist, whether or not it actually works is another matter...)

    I don't see any columns? When I view it in WordPad it look like this
    (see below) could you put an X on the part I need to change?

    Thanks

    The top of the page

    2DA V2.0

    Label Name IconResRef
    School Range VS MetaMagic TargetType ImpactScript
    Bard Cleric Druid Paladin Ranger Wiz_Sorc Innate
    ConjTime ConjAnim ConjHeadVisual ConjHandVisual
    ConjGrndVisual ConjSoundVFX ConjSoundMale ConjSoundFemale
    CastAnim CastTime CastHeadVisual CastHandVisual CastGrndVisual
    CastSound Proj ProjModel ProjType
    ProjSpwnPoint ProjSound ProjOrientation ImmunityType
    ItemImmunity SubRadSpell1 SubRadSpell2 SubRadSpell3
    SubRadSpell4 SubRadSpell5 Category Master UserType SpellDesc
    UseConcentration SpontaneouslyCast AltMessage HostileSetting
    FeatID Counter1 Counter2 HasProjectile
    0 Acid_Fog 750 is_AcidFog C
    L vs 0x3f 0x3E NW_S0_AcidFog **** ****
    **** **** **** 6 6 1500 head
    **** vco_mebalacid01 **** sco_mebalacid01
    vs_chant_conj_hm vs_chant_conj_hf area 1000 ****
    **** **** **** 1
    vpr_ectoacid01 homing hand spr_ectoacid01
    path Acid 1 **** ****
    **** **** **** 11 **** 1
    6096 1 0 **** 1
    **** **** **** 1

    Part with Evil Blight

    sco_mehanodd01 vs_chant_ench_lm vs_chant_ench_lf area
    1000 **** **** **** ****
    0 **** **** **** ****
    **** **** 0 **** ****
    **** **** **** 11 **** 1
    40159 1 0 **** 0
    **** **** **** 0
    566 Evil_Blight 8943 is_X2EvilBlight T
    M v 0x18 0x0E x2_s0_EvilBlight **** ****
    **** **** **** **** 5 1500 hand
    **** vco_smhanodd01 **** sco_mehanodd01
    vs_chant_ench_lm vs_chant_ench_lf out 1000 ****
    **** **** **** 1 vpr_los
    homing hand spr_los path
    **** 0 **** **** ****
    **** **** 3 **** 1 40158
    1 0 **** 0
    **** 146 **** 1
    567 Cure_Critical_Wounds_Others
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Drax wrote:

    > I don't see any columns? When I view it in WordPad it look like this
    > (see below) could you put an X on the part I need to change?

    It's the line wrapping of WordPad which may confuse you. It's some years ago
    since I used WordPad for the last time, but IIRC there is an option where
    you can switch off the line wrapping.

    HTH
    Hans
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:27:18 +0200, "Hans Wein"
    <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Drax wrote:
    >
    >> I don't see any columns? When I view it in WordPad it look like this
    >> (see below) could you put an X on the part I need to change?
    >
    >It's the line wrapping of WordPad which may confuse you. It's some years ago
    >since I used WordPad for the last time, but IIRC there is an option where
    >you can switch off the line wrapping.
    >
    >HTH
    >Hans

    That fixed it but, the spell doesn't show of the cleric's list even
    after I edited it :(
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Drax wrote:

    > That fixed it but, the spell doesn't show of the cleric's list even
    > after I edited it :(

    Hmm. I tried it out and it worked for me. Remember, the format and the
    length of the lines is important - not too many and not too few blanks...

    Hans
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:12:08 +0200, "Hans Wein"
    <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Drax wrote:
    >
    >> That fixed it but, the spell doesn't show of the cleric's list even
    >> after I edited it :(
    >
    >Hmm. I tried it out and it worked for me. Remember, the format and the
    >length of the lines is important - not too many and not too few blanks...
    >
    >Hans

    The Spell works? How much damage does the spell do, what does the
    spell description say? You need to tell the group there may be other
    unknown spells we can use ;)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Drax wrote:

    > The Spell works? How much damage does the spell do, what does the
    > spell description say?

    The spell script tells that it's a very powelful one :-) The main effect is
    a curse which drains *every* attribute of an enemy by 3.

    > You need to tell the group there may be other
    > unknown spells we can use ;)

    Most of the "unknown" spells are monster abilities like Dragon's Fear or the
    Death Gaze used by Bodaks. By altering the class colums in the spells.2da
    file you may make them usable by player chars too, but I doubt that it makes
    any sense because the game will get out of balance.

    Hans
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:58:50 +0200, "Hans Wein"
    <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Drax wrote:
    >
    >> The Spell works? How much damage does the spell do, what does the
    >> spell description say?
    >
    >The spell script tells that it's a very powelful one :-) The main effect is
    >a curse which drains *every* attribute of an enemy by 3.

    Where did you place the file, in the override folder? I edited it
    but, nothing changed even when I put it in the source folder. What
    program did you use to edit it?

    >> You need to tell the group there may be other
    >> unknown spells we can use ;)
    >
    >Most of the "unknown" spells are monster abilities like Dragon's Fear or the
    >Death Gaze used by Bodaks. By altering the class colums in the spells.2da
    >file you may make them usable by player chars too, but I doubt that it makes
    >any sense because the game will get out of balance.
    >
    >Hans

    This is from Patrick Dobson earlier in the thread

    UK Manual, page 48 listing the new Sorceror/Wizard spells. For level
    6 lists Bigby's Forceful hand, Evil Blight, Isaac's Greater Missile
    Storm and Undeath to Death. The next page, 49, in the listing for
    Level 9 spells lists Bigby's Crushing Hand, Black Blade of Disaster
    and Tide of Battle.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    And speaking of Evil Blights...
    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=11

    Someone in the alt.games.rpg.dnd group posted a link to the "order of
    the stick" - I've started reading from the beginning, and it's some
    funny stuff....
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Drax wrote:
    > UK Manual, page 48 listing the new Sorceror/Wizard spells. For level
    > 6 lists Bigby's Forceful hand, Evil Blight, Isaac's Greater Missile
    > Storm and Undeath to Death. The next page, 49, in the listing for
    > Level 9 spells lists Bigby's Crushing Hand, Black Blade of Disaster
    > and Tide of Battle.

    Yes, but they were obviously removed from the game prior to release (but
    after that manual went to press). This is not the first time something
    appears in the manual that was removed from the game. To get the spells
    to work, after modifying your spells.2da, it needs to be placed in the
    /override folder. If that is not working, the problem is most likely
    your use of WordPad to edit the file. It needs to be a plain text file
    and WP is probably converting it. Use Notepad or some other plain text
    editor.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications
    http://www.pyric.com/

    If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:11:22 GMT, Barry Scott Will
    <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote:

    >Drax wrote:
    >> UK Manual, page 48 listing the new Sorceror/Wizard spells. For level
    >> 6 lists Bigby's Forceful hand, Evil Blight, Isaac's Greater Missile
    >> Storm and Undeath to Death. The next page, 49, in the listing for
    >> Level 9 spells lists Bigby's Crushing Hand, Black Blade of Disaster
    >> and Tide of Battle.
    >

    >Yes, but they were obviously removed from the game prior to release (but
    >after that manual went to press). This is not the first time something
    >appears in the manual that was removed from the game. To get the spells
    >to work, after modifying your spells.2da, it needs to be placed in the
    >/override folder. If that is not working, the problem is most likely
    >your use of WordPad to edit the file. It needs to be a plain text file
    >and WP is probably converting it. Use Notepad or some other plain text
    >editor.

    Thanks it worked but, its strange Tide of Battle is a Wizards spell
    that does Divine damage.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> looked up from reading
    the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    signs say:

    >Drax wrote:
    >> UK Manual, page 48 listing the new Sorceror/Wizard spells. For level
    >> 6 lists Bigby's Forceful hand, Evil Blight, Isaac's Greater Missile
    >> Storm and Undeath to Death. The next page, 49, in the listing for
    >> Level 9 spells lists Bigby's Crushing Hand, Black Blade of Disaster
    >> and Tide of Battle.
    >

    >Yes, but they were obviously removed from the game prior to release (but
    >after that manual went to press). This is not the first time something
    >appears in the manual that was removed from the game.

    What gets me is that those spells aren't listed in my manual, and I
    bought my copy pretty much they day EB put them on the shelves here in
    Canada.

    Was the UK release significantly in advance of the North American
    release so that they had extra spells listed that got pulled?

    Xocyll
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:11:22 GMT, Barry Scott Will
    > <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Drax wrote:
    > >> UK Manual, page 48 listing the new Sorceror/Wizard spells. For level
    > >> 6 lists Bigby's Forceful hand, Evil Blight, Isaac's Greater Missile
    > >> Storm and Undeath to Death. The next page, 49, in the listing for
    > >> Level 9 spells lists Bigby's Crushing Hand, Black Blade of Disaster
    > >> and Tide of Battle.
    > >

    > >Yes, but they were obviously removed from the game prior to release (but
    > >after that manual went to press). This is not the first time something
    > >appears in the manual that was removed from the game. To get the spells
    > >to work, after modifying your spells.2da, it needs to be placed in the
    > >/override folder. If that is not working, the problem is most likely
    > >your use of WordPad to edit the file. It needs to be a plain text file
    > >and WP is probably converting it. Use Notepad or some other plain text
    > >editor.
    >
    > Thanks it worked but, its strange Tide of Battle is a Wizards spell
    > that does Divine damage.

    Why is that strange?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:04:00 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    wrote:

    >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:11:22 GMT, Barry Scott Will
    >> <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote:

    >> >Yes, but they were obviously removed from the game prior to release (but
    >> >after that manual went to press). This is not the first time something
    >> >appears in the manual that was removed from the game. To get the spells
    >> >to work, after modifying your spells.2da, it needs to be placed in the
    >> >/override folder. If that is not working, the problem is most likely
    >> >your use of WordPad to edit the file. It needs to be a plain text file
    >> >and WP is probably converting it. Use Notepad or some other plain text
    >> >editor.
    >>
    >> Thanks it worked but, its strange Tide of Battle is a Wizards spell
    >> that does Divine damage.
    >
    >Why is that strange?

    In D&D Wizards are Arcane spellcasters and Clerics are Divine
    spellcaster. If you played D&D you would understand to someone who
    doesn't I guess it not that important.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:04:00 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message

    > >> Thanks it worked but, its strange Tide of Battle is a Wizards spell
    > >> that does Divine damage.
    > >
    > >Why is that strange?
    >
    > In D&D Wizards are Arcane spellcasters and Clerics are Divine
    > spellcaster. If you played D&D you would understand to someone who
    > doesn't I guess it not that important.

    I do both and don't see why it matters... So what if a wizard is about to
    tap into the "divine" forces What exactlly is divine anyway/
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:53:44 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    wrote:

    >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:04:00 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message

    >level

    >(but
    >spells

    >> >Why is that strange?
    >>
    >> In D&D Wizards are Arcane spellcasters and Clerics are Divine
    >> spellcaster. If you played D&D you would understand to someone who
    >> doesn't I guess it not that important.
    >
    >I do both and don't see why it matters... So what if a wizard is about to
    >tap into the "divine" forces What exactlly is divine anyway/

    Divine spells comes from the gods where Arcane spells come from your
    own ability to using the Weave. Chapter 10 of both the 3E and 3.5 PHB
    is all about Magic it will explain the difference between Divine and
    Arcane magic. In 2E PHB its in Chapter 7 and in AD&D its in the DMG
    p38 under Character Spells
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:53:44 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message

    > >level
    Missile
    Disaster

    > >(but
    > >spells

    > >> In D&D Wizards are Arcane spellcasters and Clerics are Divine
    > >> spellcaster. If you played D&D you would understand to someone who
    > >> doesn't I guess it not that important.
    > >
    > >I do both and don't see why it matters... So what if a wizard is about
    > >tap into the "divine" forces What exactlly is divine anyway/
    > >

    > Divine spells comes from the gods where Arcane spells come from your
    > own ability to using the Weave. Chapter 10 of both the 3E and 3.5 PHB
    > is all about Magic it will explain the difference between Divine and
    > Arcane magic. In 2E PHB its in Chapter 7 and in AD&D its in the DMG
    > p38 under Character Spells

    Doesn't it also depend on the setting as well?
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:25:55 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    wrote:

    >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:53:44 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message

    >> >level
    >Missile
    >for
    >Disaster

    >> >(but
    >something
    >> >spells
    >the
    >likely
    >file
    >text

    >> >I do both and don't see why it matters... So what if a wizard is about
    >> >tap into the "divine" forces What exactlly is divine anyway/
    >> >

    >> Divine spells comes from the gods where Arcane spells come from your
    >> own ability to using the Weave. Chapter 10 of both the 3E and 3.5 PHB
    >> is all about Magic it will explain the difference between Divine and
    >> Arcane magic. In 2E PHB its in Chapter 7 and in AD&D its in the DMG
    >> p38 under Character Spells
    >
    >Doesn't it also depend on the setting as well?

    I should not have said the Weave thats FR but, there has always been
    a separation between magic from the gods (Divine) and magic made by
    mortals (Arcane) it goes all the way back to the 1st edition of AD&D
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:25:55 -0400, "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message

    For
    > >Missile
    > >for
    > >Disaster

    > >something
    > >the
    > >likely
    > >file
    > >text

    > >> Divine spells comes from the gods where Arcane spells come from your
    > >> own ability to using the Weave. Chapter 10 of both the 3E and 3.5 PHB
    > >> is all about Magic it will explain the difference between Divine and
    > >> Arcane magic. In 2E PHB its in Chapter 7 and in AD&D its in the DMG
    > >> p38 under Character Spells
    > >
    > >Doesn't it also depend on the setting as well?
    > >
    > I should not have said the Weave thats FR but, there has always been
    > a separation between magic from the gods (Divine) and magic made by
    > mortals (Arcane) it goes all the way back to the 1st edition of AD&D

    oh. umm.. lets stop before this gets silly...

Games Video Games