Multiplayer, no pause?

It seems impossible to pause in multiplayer, is that accurate?
9 answers Last reply
More about multiplayer pause

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > It seems impossible to pause in multiplayer, is that accurate?

    Depends on the server setting, "player pause allowed y/n?".

    vapor wrote:

    > "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>It seems impossible to pause in multiplayer, is that accurate?
    >

    > Depends on the server setting, "player pause allowed y/n?".

    Yes, there it is. Thanks, you're a lifesaver--that would have driven me
    crazy.

    In message <VHghc.53347$aU5.22644@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, Kish
    <Kish_K@pacbell.net> writes
    >It seems impossible to pause in multiplayer, is that accurate?

    Correct. It's impossible to pause other online players and monsters -
    it's 'real-time'.

    Tom
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    In message <gMghc.35552$ru4.34010@attbi_s52>, vapor <not@automatic.com>
    writes

    >"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> It seems impossible to pause in multiplayer, is that accurate?
    >
    >Depends on the server setting, "player pause allowed y/n?".

    Really? I Must admit I hadn't noticed that. Certainly it hasn't been the
    case of the PW games I've tried.

    Tom
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:43:42 GMT, Janet Tweedy scrawled:

    > Really? I Must admit I hadn't noticed that. Certainly it hasn't been the
    > case of the PW games I've tried.
    >
    > Tom

    Well, of course, PW doesn't really work well if you pause the world on
    everyone's behalf. :)

    --
    http://www.rexx.co.uk

    To email me, visit the site.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Rexx Magnus" <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:43:42 GMT, Janet Tweedy scrawled:
    >
    > > Really? I Must admit I hadn't noticed that. Certainly it hasn't been the
    > > case of the PW games I've tried.
    > >
    > > Tom
    > >

    > Well, of course, PW doesn't really work well if you pause the world on
    > everyone's behalf. :)

    Yeah..it's only for the DM so the PCs don't screw up there plans.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Janet Tweedy <jan@lancedal.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<O3pV08NOqnhAFwBs@ukonline.co.uk>...
    > In message <gMghc.35552$ru4.34010@attbi_s52>, vapor <not@automatic.com>
    > writes
    > >
    > >"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > >> It seems impossible to pause in multiplayer, is that accurate?
    > >
    > >Depends on the server setting, "player pause allowed y/n?".
    > >

    > Really? I Must admit I hadn't noticed that. Certainly it hasn't been the
    > case of the PW games I've tried.
    >
    > Tom
    But you can play multiplayer without being in a persistant world,
    can't you?

    I admit I haven't ever played anything but single player, but my
    understanding is that there's a vast middle ground of people who go
    thru modules either with a DM or even just as a "party" who are
    exploring together. In situations like that, a "pause" in order to
    allow someone to go use the restroom or feed the baby or whatever
    isn't out of order...

    And personally, I'll find it hard to adjust to not having a much more
    casual pause factor, since I'm often found clicking around for a
    minute or two finding the spell I want, or reading about one scroll or
    another; while you can argue that this simulates the actual confusion
    my character might feel if facing something unprepared, I -could-
    counter that I'm not really a trained battlemage, and that my
    character surely recalls the exact characteristics of a Bigby's Single
    Extended Finger better than I do.

    Depends on the style of play you like, I suppose. But I appreciate
    the ability to use the Pause button to overcome my fading memory and
    laziness in failing to constantly rearrange my spell casting icons!

    Lance
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    emporer@dejazzd.com (Lance) wrote in message news:<8854c397.0404212020.6bb2d737@posting.google.com>...
    > But you can play multiplayer without being in a persistant world,
    > can't you?
    >
    > I admit I haven't ever played anything but single player, but my
    > understanding is that there's a vast middle ground of people who go
    > thru modules either with a DM or even just as a "party" who are
    > exploring together. In situations like that, a "pause" in order to
    > allow someone to go use the restroom or feed the baby or whatever
    > isn't out of order...

    Yes, you can play multiplayer not in a persistent world (PW) but
    that's a different animal. (I have two PCs linked by an ethernet
    crossover cable, not connected to the internet at all, for playing NWN
    with my son).

    When you pause in multiplayer, you pause all the characters, too.
    When you pause (or cast Time Stop) in a PW, you pause the Entire
    World. This is very annoying to the other 5 adventuring
    groups/individuals who have no idea who you are, why their game just
    froze, and may be living across the world somewhere - which is why
    almost every PW disables pause and Time Stop.

    > And personally, I'll find it hard to adjust to not having a much more
    > casual pause factor, since I'm often found clicking around for a
    > minute or two finding the spell I want,<snip>

    Which is fine for multiplayer but not for PW. Pretend you were
    playing a Playstation or other console game, and every time any other
    person in the world playing a Playstation paused their game, yours
    would stop too. That's what pause/Time Stop is like for a PW. OTOH,
    if you had 4 players hooked up on your one Play Station, pausing the
    game for a bathroom break is no biggie. That's the difference between
    PWs and multiplayer.

    HTH!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    In message <8854c397.0404212020.6bb2d737@posting.google.com>, Lance
    <emporer@dejazzd.com> writes

    >> Really? I Must admit I hadn't noticed that. Certainly it hasn't been the
    >> case of the PW games I've tried.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >But you can play multiplayer without being in a persistant world,
    >can't you?
    >
    >I admit I haven't ever played anything but single player, but my
    >understanding is that there's a vast middle ground of people who go
    >thru modules either with a DM or even just as a "party" who are
    >exploring together. In situations like that, a "pause" in order to
    >allow someone to go use the restroom or feed the baby or whatever
    >isn't out of order...
    >
    >And personally, I'll find it hard to adjust to not having a much more
    >casual pause factor, since I'm often found clicking around for a
    >minute or two finding the spell I want, or reading about one scroll or
    >another; while you can argue that this simulates the actual confusion
    >my character might feel if facing something unprepared, I -could-
    >counter that I'm not really a trained battlemage, and that my
    >character surely recalls the exact characteristics of a Bigby's Single
    >Extended Finger better than I do.
    >
    >Depends on the style of play you like, I suppose. But I appreciate
    >the ability to use the Pause button to overcome my fading memory and
    >laziness in failing to constantly rearrange my spell casting icons!
    >
    >Lance

    Oh I do know what you mean. Even now when I get 'flustered' [I'm nearly
    dying] I try to pause the game. Then I die when I find I can't.

    I've only tried two PW games - one under 'PW story' the other under
    'solo' - both didn't have pause. All I can say is thank goodness for the
    downliadable mods - I've also been playing 'The Aielund Trilogy', it's
    wonderful.

    Tom

Multiplayer Games Video Games