Screen shuts off and requires user selection before restar..

January 30, 2005 6:37:15 PM

I've just installed dotnetframework and now, when the screen shuts
down when left alone, a mouse movement brings up a screen in which I
have to click on a user button to get back to where I left off.

How do I return the system to 'normal' where the mouse movement
immediately restores the status quo.

Grrrr
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:37:16 PM

You need to go into Control Panel, Power Options, and
click on the Advanced tab. Now uncheck the box next to
Prompt For Password When Computer Resumes From Standby.

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:37:16 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:37:15 +0000, John wrote:

> I've just installed dotnetframework and now, when the screen shuts
> down when left alone, a mouse movement brings up a screen in which I
> have to click on a user button to get back to where I left off.
>
> How do I return the system to 'normal' where the mouse movement
> immediately restores the status quo.
>
> Grrrr

Control Panel (classic view)> Power Options> Advanced: uncheck box to
require password on resume.

Display Properties> Screensaver: Uncheck similar box here as well.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:37:15 +0000, John wrote:
>
>> I've just installed dotnetframework and now, when the screen shuts
>> down when left alone, a mouse movement brings up a screen in which I
>> have to click on a user button to get back to where I left off.
>>
>> How do I return the system to 'normal' where the mouse movement
>> immediately restores the status quo.
>>
>> Grrrr
>
>Control Panel (classic view)> Power Options> Advanced: uncheck box to
>require password on resume.
>
>Display Properties> Screensaver: Uncheck similar box here as well.

Thank you, both. That's done it.

One other problem arose at the same time - when I select 'shutdown' I
no longer get the three buttons but a window with a drop down list -
one step more to select restart or shutdown.

I'd like my old buttons back.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:29:31 AM

In Control Panel, User Accounts, Change The Way Users Log
On Or Off, make sure Use Welcome Screen is Checked. Let
us know if it works.

January 31, 2005 11:41:39 AM

"Abel Diaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>In Control Panel, User Accounts, Change The Way Users Log
>On Or Off, make sure Use Welcome Screen is Checked. Let
>us know if it works.

It did! Many thanks.
January 31, 2005 11:48:00 AM

John <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote:

>"Abel Diaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>In Control Panel, User Accounts, Change The Way Users Log
>>On Or Off, make sure Use Welcome Screen is Checked. Let
>>us know if it works.
>>

>It did! Many thanks.

But now I have the original problem back - of course. Now there must
be a way to avoid the log-on button and keep the shutdown option
buttons - 'cos I had both before doing the most recent MS dotthing
install. Sigh!
January 31, 2005 11:54:54 AM

John <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote:

>John <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote:
>
>>"Abel Diaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>In Control Panel, User Accounts, Change The Way Users Log
>>>On Or Off, make sure Use Welcome Screen is Checked. Let
>>>us know if it works.
>>>

>>It did! Many thanks.
>
>But now I have the original problem back - of course. Now there must
>be a way to avoid the log-on button and keep the shutdown option
>buttons - 'cos I had both before doing the most recent MS dotthing
>install. Sigh!

OK its fixed - using Tweak to get the logon automatic.

I'm being too hasty in giving feedback - I'm sorry.
!