Hi!

Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility on Win2000Pro
and could tell, is there a limit on the Incrementals. I have the feeling the
Back-up File will got destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
Incremental Sets, border is passed ...

Best regards,

Pete V.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

PeteV wrote:

> Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
> on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
> Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
> destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
> Incremental Sets, border is passed ...

Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.

I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
strategy.

However, that's only my opinion.

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi!

Thanks for your reply Enkidu, but OK, my question needs maybe some more
background details.

At my client the Utility is used for disk-to-disk back-up and the main C:\
disk is backed up incl. the System State almost every day, so, every time
there will become 2 backup-up sets numbered. Some times the Incrementals may
reach the 8th round before doing a fresh back-up with Normal, so the Set
numbers would be 17 and 18, and I doubt the back-up file has then somehow
got corrupted due overcomig the Set number border 16.

It would be nice to know if this is really true, or not, or should I still
try to find another explanation for the back-up file corruption behaviour.

Best regards,

Pete V.

"Enkidu" wrote:

> PeteV wrote:
> >
> > Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
> > on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
> > Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
> > destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
> > Incremental Sets, border is passed ...
> >
> Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
> fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
> able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.
>
> I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
> but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
> strategy.
>
> However, that's only my opinion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>

> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

I've had a search around, but not been able to find
anything. I guess you've checked if you are running out of
space?

Cheers,

Cliff