Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MS Back-up Utility

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:46:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi!

Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility on Win2000Pro
and could tell, is there a limit on the Incrementals. I have the feeling the
Back-up File will got destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
Incremental Sets, border is passed ...


Best regards,

Pete V.

More about : back utility

August 21, 2005 6:31:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

PeteV wrote:
>
> Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
> on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
> Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
> destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
> Incremental Sets, border is passed ...
>
Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.

I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
strategy.

However, that's only my opinion.

Cheers,

Cliff


--

Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:31:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi!

Thanks for your reply Enkidu, but OK, my question needs maybe some more
background details.

At my client the Utility is used for disk-to-disk back-up and the main C:\
disk is backed up incl. the System State almost every day, so, every time
there will become 2 backup-up sets numbered. Some times the Incrementals may
reach the 8th round before doing a fresh back-up with Normal, so the Set
numbers would be 17 and 18, and I doubt the back-up file has then somehow
got corrupted due overcomig the Set number border 16.

It would be nice to know if this is really true, or not, or should I still
try to find another explanation for the back-up file corruption behaviour.


Best regards,

Pete V.



"Enkidu" wrote:

> PeteV wrote:
> >
> > Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
> > on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
> > Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
> > destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
> > Incremental Sets, border is passed ...
> >
> Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
> fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
> able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.
>
> I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
> but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
> strategy.
>
> However, that's only my opinion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
>
> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
>
August 22, 2005 11:47:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

I've had a search around, but not been able to find
anything. I guess you've checked if you are running out of
space?

Cheers,

Cliff

PeteV wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for your reply Enkidu, but OK, my question needs maybe some more
> background details.
>
> At my client the Utility is used for disk-to-disk back-up and the main C:\
> disk is backed up incl. the System State almost every day, so, every time
> there will become 2 backup-up sets numbered. Some times the Incrementals may
> reach the 8th round before doing a fresh back-up with Normal, so the Set
> numbers would be 17 and 18, and I doubt the back-up file has then somehow
> got corrupted due overcomig the Set number border 16.
>
> It would be nice to know if this is really true, or not, or should I still
> try to find another explanation for the back-up file corruption behaviour.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pete V.
>
>
>
> "Enkidu" wrote:
>
>
>>PeteV wrote:
>>
>>>Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
>>
>> > on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
>> > Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
>> > destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
>>
>>>Incremental Sets, border is passed ...
>>>
>>
>>Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
>>fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
>>able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.
>>
>>I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
>>but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
>>strategy.
>>
>>However, that's only my opinion.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Cliff
>>
>>
>>--
>>
>>Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
>>



--

Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
!