MS Back-up Utility

Hi!

Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility on Win2000Pro
and could tell, is there a limit on the Incrementals. I have the feeling the
Back-up File will got destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
Incremental Sets, border is passed ...

Best regards,

Pete V.
3 answers Last reply
More about back utility

    PeteV wrote:

    > Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
    > on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
    > Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
    > destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
    > Incremental Sets, border is passed ...

    Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
    fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
    able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.

    I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
    but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
    strategy.

    However, that's only my opinion.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Hi!

    Thanks for your reply Enkidu, but OK, my question needs maybe some more
    background details.

    At my client the Utility is used for disk-to-disk back-up and the main C:\
    disk is backed up incl. the System State almost every day, so, every time
    there will become 2 backup-up sets numbered. Some times the Incrementals may
    reach the 8th round before doing a fresh back-up with Normal, so the Set
    numbers would be 17 and 18, and I doubt the back-up file has then somehow
    got corrupted due overcomig the Set number border 16.

    It would be nice to know if this is really true, or not, or should I still
    try to find another explanation for the back-up file corruption behaviour.

    Best regards,

    Pete V.

    "Enkidu" wrote:

    > PeteV wrote:
    > >
    > > Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
    > > on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
    > > Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
    > > destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
    > > Incremental Sets, border is passed ...
    > >
    > Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
    > fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
    > able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.
    >
    > I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
    > but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
    > strategy.
    >
    > However, that's only my opinion.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >

    > --
    >
    > Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

    I've had a search around, but not been able to find
    anything. I guess you've checked if you are running out of
    space?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    PeteV wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Thanks for your reply Enkidu, but OK, my question needs maybe some more
    > background details.
    >
    > At my client the Utility is used for disk-to-disk back-up and the main C:\
    > disk is backed up incl. the System State almost every day, so, every time
    > there will become 2 backup-up sets numbered. Some times the Incrementals may
    > reach the 8th round before doing a fresh back-up with Normal, so the Set
    > numbers would be 17 and 18, and I doubt the back-up file has then somehow
    > got corrupted due overcomig the Set number border 16.
    >
    > It would be nice to know if this is really true, or not, or should I still
    > try to find another explanation for the back-up file corruption behaviour.
    >

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Pete V.
    >

    > "Enkidu" wrote:
    >

    >>PeteV wrote:
    >>
    >>>Please, if anyone has experience on the MS Back-up Utlility
    >>
    >> > on Win2000Pro and could tell, is there a limit on the
    >> > Incrementals. I have the feeling the Back-up File will got
    >> > destroyed if the Set no 16, i.e. 1 Normal plus 15
    >>
    >>>Incremental Sets, border is passed ...
    >>>

    >>Having that number of incrementals is dangerous. If the
    >>fifth tape were to develop an error, then you would not be
    >>able to restore any of the incrementals past that point.
    >>
    >>I don't know if NTBackup supports more than 15 incrementals,
    >>but I suggest that in any case you reconsider your backup
    >>strategy.
    >>
    >>However, that's only my opinion.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Cliff