amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I have been waiting for this system to come for a week, and once I installed everything it just won't boot. I installed the processor properly, the RAM properly, the video card correctly, and the hard drives correctly. Both power cables (main 24-pin and 4-pin ATX) are plugged in and the green light is on indicating power to the board. The light stays on if I unplug the 4-pin plug and turns off if the 24-pin is unplugged. There is power to the video card using the dongle with two male 4-pin molex plugs (I assume that two separate female molex plugs need to be plugged into the video card dongle?). Here are my system specs:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego (s939)
1GB (2x 512MB) Corsair ValueSelect DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel (184-pin)
eVGA Geforce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 KO
Artic Cooling Alpine64 92mm
Turbolink Model ATX-CW500P4

My guess is that the power supply isn't enough to power the new system. I used this PS in my two older systems without any problems (except my last system which I broke the proc) It says on the PS that the +12V1 is 16A and the +12V2 is 18A. Is this enough amperage to run my system? If not is that why the green light is on, but it won't power on? Thanks.

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Nevermind, I restarted from scratch. I reinstalled the MB and left out non-essential parts and it booted up fine. Added more and still booted. I have no idea what the problem was, but the only thing I added was three brass standoffs. Not sure if the motherboard really needs these to ground the system or something, but that may be it. Thanks anyway.

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Should I be worried about this, by the way? It did not work, then after reinstalling the hardware it works. Should I be worried about this motherboard failing later on? Also in my bios it is saying that my processor is running at between 28C and 32C - are these temps good?