Why my computer crushes after OS installation?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I partitioned and formated a Maxtor HD with the accompanying utility
disk and installed OS in Pent III/256Meg PC. The computer was turned off
completely. When turned on again, OS was loaded and worked fine.
Strange thing is that when the computer was turned on, BIOS message
flowed to indicate it recognized HD and individual memories were listed,
then I got error message as follows:

BSP CPU ---Microcode OK

Serching for Boot Record from CDROM--Not Found
Serching for Boot Record from IDE-0--OK

Error 1 loading OS. This may be due to virus.

1. Shutdown
2. Boot from floppy
3. Run ONTRACK Disk Manager
4. Select from "Upgrade" from Advanced Options.
(computer crushes after this message---no key do nothing.)

This is a new HD, never connected to Internet. No chance of virus infection.
I understand "BSP" has something to do with "Windows CE" Operation
System (I am totally unfamiliar with this OS}, but my OS has nothing to
do with it.
"ONTRACK" is, to my knowledge, the brand name of a commercial disk
management software. I don't see why this name shows up in my computer.
Where does it come from? A part of MS OS?
Finally, I have no idea about "Upgrade from Advanced Options.

When I try to reinstall OS, W2K tells me that the partition is
unformatted or damaged.

Can anyone tell me what situation I got into. Is this BIOS (EPROM)
problem or HD problem or OS problem or computer's hardware flaw?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Digital Wight" wrote:
|I partitioned and formated a Maxtor HD with the accompanying utility
| disk and installed OS in Pent III/256Meg PC. The computer was turned off
| completely. When turned on again, OS was loaded and worked fine.
| Strange thing is that when the computer was turned on, BIOS message
| flowed to indicate it recognized HD and individual memories were listed,
| then I got error message as follows:
|
| BSP CPU ---Microcode OK
|
| Serching for Boot Record from CDROM--Not Found
| Serching for Boot Record from IDE-0--OK
|
| Error 1 loading OS. This may be due to virus.
|
| 1. Shutdown
| 2. Boot from floppy
| 3. Run ONTRACK Disk Manager
| 4. Select from "Upgrade" from Advanced Options.
| (computer crushes after this message---no key do nothing.)
|
| This is a new HD, never connected to Internet. No chance of virus
infection.
| I understand "BSP" has something to do with "Windows CE" Operation
| System (I am totally unfamiliar with this OS}, but my OS has nothing to
| do with it.
| "ONTRACK" is, to my knowledge, the brand name of a commercial disk
| management software. I don't see why this name shows up in my computer.
| Where does it come from? A part of MS OS?
| Finally, I have no idea about "Upgrade from Advanced Options.
|
| When I try to reinstall OS, W2K tells me that the partition is
| unformatted or damaged.
|
| Can anyone tell me what situation I got into. Is this BIOS (EPROM)
| problem or HD problem or OS problem or computer's hardware flaw?

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You would have been better off booting from the win2k cd
partitioning/format/install from there.
Using a third party tool to partition, prior to installation, can cause
problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868