Henchman-ization

Lance

Well, I did manage to get an NPC to become a Henchman in one of my
modules... but the process was time consuming and annoying.

What I did was to go down the list of scripts for the NPC, edit each
one, copy the script, then back out, change the name of the script
from x2_whatever to r2_whatever, then edit, replace the little "void
main" dummy script with the copy of the x2_whatever, then go into that
copy and change any instances of nw_c2_default# with nw_ch_ac# by
hand.

Repeat for the what, 10 or so different scripts.

Then I went in and rewrote the "on conversation" script some more
until I could convince the NPC to actually join the player's party.
So far so good.

Then I saved that script set as "henchplates" thinking that I would at
least not have to go thru that whole mess again for the basic setup.

Working on my "real" module instead of the little test one I was
playing with, I tried to convert an NPC I'd created into a henchman by
using "load script set" and selecting henchplates. Seemed to work
perfectly, turned all the x2_whatever into the correct r2_whatever...
only one problem:

All the scripts were back to default void main blank scripts! All
that "change by hand" work making the scripts do nw_ch_ac# was
missing, as was the rewrite of the conversation script to make the
henchman actually join up.

I'll bet there's some simple way to grab the actual scripts and plug
them into a new module, but hanged if I see what it is offhand.

While looking, I spotted lots more scripts that look like henchman
behavior stuff. Is there an easy way to wade thru them all so I can
see? Trying to read them in wordpad didn't work out well at all, most
of the lines were just little empty square boxes instead of legible
characters!

Lance

Lance wrote:
> Working on my "real" module instead of the little test one I was
> playing with, I tried to convert an NPC I'd created into a henchman by
> using "load script set" and selecting henchplates. Seemed to work
> perfectly, turned all the x2_whatever into the correct r2_whatever...
> only one problem:
>
> All the scripts were back to default void main blank scripts!

Your edited scripts existed only in your test module. To use them in any
other module would require you to export them from the test module and
import them in the other module.

> While looking, I spotted lots more scripts that look like henchman
> behavior stuff. Is there an easy way to wade thru them all so I can
> see? Trying to read them in wordpad didn't work out well at all, most
> of the lines were just little empty square boxes instead of legible
> characters!

First, you are apparently looking at the compiled scripts (.ncs) not the
script sources (.nss). Script sources are simple text files and can be
viewed in any text editor. (I like UltraEdit, for which someone has
produced a format file for NWN Script.)

Anyway, I suggest you spend some time learning NWVault
(http://nwvault.ign.com/) and the Bioboards
(http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/). Someone has already put together a
SoU/HotU henchman package:
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=307105&forum=47

Plus, there's Lilac Soul's Script Generator:
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/other/data/1044998316652.shtml
(Not my cup-o'-tea, but a lot of people like it.)

Many people have already done much of the base work required to get a
module going, all you have to do is play fill-in-the-blank. This will
save you a lot of time.

More favorites of mine:

Deva Bryson Winblood's NPC Activities
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1066589562597.shtml

HotU/1.61 new scripting/toolset functionality
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=285108&forum=47

SoU/1.30 Collected HowTo's
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=224540&forum=47

How to use SoU Safe Rest system
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=229949&forum=46

The Newbe FAQ
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=207626&forum=47
(This is #2, there's a link to #1 in the first post)

Another FAQ
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=136245&forum=46

Neshke's Extendable Spawning System
http://www.lrjonline.net/swg/

Gestalt Custscene Scripting System
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1079276126000.shtml

And lots, lots more... :)

--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first