I'd like some advice on my hardware choices for a Vista PC

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hi guys n gals,

basically, in the begining of Feb, I'm going to put together a PC that I want to last me a while, with Vista ofcourse.

The main things I'm after advice for is motherboard and CPU.

First, I currently have 2 pc's and some spares, between them I have,

CPUs- X2-3800
64-3000

Motherboards - Asus A8N-E
Asus A8N-SLI (vanilla, linked to legit Win X64, will be swapping with A8N-E in my second PC when I upgrade)

RAM - 3x 1gig Kingston Value RAM (2 on the SLI and 1 one the E)

Graphics Cards - 1x 8800GTX
1x 7800GT
1x 6600GT

Soundcards - 1x Audigy 2 Value

PSUs - 1 x Tagan 580w
1x Taiwanese Branded (seemingly decent) 420w

Monitor - ViewSonic VX924 19"

Pleanty of SATA Hdd's

RIGHT, basically, I've always had AMD processors ever since I had a K62 400 back in about 2000. However, with this new C2D thats out, I'm thinking of jumping ship, should I? If so, whats the best motherboard manufacturer to go with, I've usually had ASUS boards.

I was thinking DDR2, worth it?

ALSO, I've got one 8800GTX, was thinking about going SLI, if I can find an Enermax Galaxy here, is it worth it? I mean I know the fact that it doesn't give you that much extra on all games, is it worth the hastle? I'm thinking not, but opinions would be great. I'm not looking to overclock, I just want something that will last me for a long time, a year or so anyway.

My thoughts are -

Vista Ultimate

C2D E6600
with
Asus P5N32-E

or

X2 5000 AM2

with

Asus M2N32 WS Pro

2 or 4 Gigs of DDR2, not sure on what brand I will be able to find in Taiwan.

XFi Fatality

another GTX?

decent case - again not sure what I can find here.

ViewSonic VX2235wm 22" Widescreen Monitor x2?

Raptors x2

I've got about 2000 US dollars to spend / 1000 GBP

What's your feelings?

AMD or Intel
What MOBO
SLI?

This will all be used with a legit copy of Vista, hence the determination to get a decent set of gear. I do a little photoshopping, but only casually, I do like to play games, but I'm more of a have it and not need it, than a need it and not have it when it comes to computer ability.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Matt

P.S. I've got a Gigabyte 3D Aurora case and a LianLi PC 6077 case. Any case ideas, was thinking about the Asus Vento, because it just looks mad, but I've heard it's rubbish internally, problem is, most retailers in Taiwan tend to carry the same gear.

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
There is no point in sli. really. 2 gb ram should be enough definatley DDR2. E6600 is a very good cpu so get that but for the mobo im not too sure.

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
What about widescreen monitors?

I want to get a pair of Viewsonic 22" widescreen monitors, is it worth it, because i know not all games support widescreen gaming etc.

I have a viewsonc monitor now, and i think its pretty good, so i wouldnt mind staying with the brand.

Anyone here a widescreen gamer?