56k Dial-Up Modem recommendations?

toothpick

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I am looking for some advice on a good 56k Dial Up modem. It seems the technology has gone down the drain. I can't seem to find a quality modem anywhere. The old US Robotics (Hardware Modem) I have now connects at 44.6k and works fairly well but it seems to have compatability issues with my motherboard. I get blue screen of death constantly and the PC will NEVER shut down if the modem was used while it's on. It also disconnects frequently which always leads to another b.s.o.d.

I have purchased 3 different modems so far to replace it. None of them connect faster than 26.4k but at least no more b.s.o.d. I am now desperate to find a quality modem capable of at least 44.6k on my line. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Honestly? Get DSL (or whatever varient is in your neighborhood) or cable internet. Just a quick question. Where do you live and how much is high-speed internet where you live and is there a "lite" version of broaband? Often the Lite version is just dollars more than dial-up from AOL or whoever still offers it. Even the slowest dsl or cable internet is still faster than the fastest dial-up modem. Top that off with the cost of an extra phone line and dial-up bill, any version of broadband is a very logical choice. And, you can talk on the phone while surfing. Really, there are so many reasons to have broadband that once you get it you'll wonder and even cringe at the mere mention or thought of dialing up ever again.

Here's a site that address's some dial up issues in case you decide to continue along the dial up way.
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/index.asp

toothpick

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Trust me if it were at all possible I would have broadband. I live 4 miles outside city limits but I may as well live in the middle of the Amazon as far as the ISPs are concerned. Satellite is my ONLY option but it is very expensive for very limited speed and with the Fair Use Policy I couldn't even download my database every day without going over the limit.

Right now I have a studio in town that I rent just so that I can have DSL there. I am an eBay powerseller and run 3 websites so I MUST have broadband. I also MUST have a good modem so I can at least do some limited work at home.

I will check out the site you mention.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
ahh, thats the thing with this internets, you never know where people are coming from. I see what you meen with the satellite thing. Best of luck with the modem. I think I have a foot to remove from my mouth to keep me busy as least until an ISP provides broadband to your home :p

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I have the same problem, live in a remote location and stuck to a slow
phone line. I've tried several and the most compatible 56K seems to be
the Agere Win series. Most of the problems seem related more to Windows
than my MB, but this cheap modem has worked on quite a few systems
without a glitch, altho slooow..

TRENDING THREADS