Strongest melee weapon in HotU?

I'm curious about what the most powerful melee weapon in HotU is; I'm
concerned about possibly specializing in a weapon type that will wind up
weakening me.

Kish wrote:
> I'm curious about what the most powerful melee weapon in HotU is; I'm
> concerned about possibly specializing in a weapon type that will wind up
> weakening me.

Answer: any. There is a special weaponsmith in HotU (beginning in
Chapter 2) that can upgrade any melee (or ranged) weapon with a variety
of enhancements. If you're looking for entertainment value, there's a
talking sword that can be obtained in Chapter 1. He is only available as
a longsword, greatsword, short sword or dagger.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> Kish wrote:
>
>> I'm curious about what the most powerful melee weapon in HotU is; I'm
>> concerned about possibly specializing in a weapon type that will wind
>> up weakening me.
>

> Answer: any. There is a special weaponsmith in HotU (beginning in
> Chapter 2) that can upgrade any melee (or ranged) weapon with a variety
> of enhancements. If you're looking for entertainment value, there's a
> talking sword that can be obtained in Chapter 1. He is only available as
> a longsword, greatsword, short sword or dagger.

Thanks.

Vellu

As far as Critical Hits goes, I think Scythe is the only one with 4x
multiplier to begin with...IIRC

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I'm curious about what the most powerful melee weapon in HotU is; I'm
> concerned about possibly specializing in a weapon type that will wind up
> weakening me.

Hey, Kish, long time no see...

Don't know if you remember me, but I used to play (and hang around the
newsgroup) the BG series. A lot of the hints and tips, I got from you.

Sorry if I post off topic, just wanted to say hello... and ask a small
question: I am contemplating buying NWN - is it any good for single player?

Oh, I've played Morrowind (awesome) and Gothic (very good) since the last
time, but I miss the D&D setting.

DH

"Paul Colquhoun" <postmaster@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:45:15 GMT, Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:
> | I'm curious about what the most powerful melee weapon in HotU is; I'm
> | concerned about possibly specializing in a weapon type that will wind up
> | weakening me.
>

> I think the most powerful melee "weapon" is a high-level monk. Throw one
> of those at an oponent, then just step back.
>
> I'm playing HOTU at the moment with a 19th level monk, and the only thing
> on the first level that gave me a problem was the dragon.

My Dwarven Defender Ripped through it like a hot knife through butter..

Cool Hand wrote:

> Hey, Kish, long time no see...
>
> Don't know if you remember me, but I used to play (and hang around the
> newsgroup) the BG series. A lot of the hints and tips, I got from you.

Yes, I remember you...I'm glad I could help. :)

> Sorry if I post off topic, just wanted to say hello... and ask a small
> question: I am contemplating buying NWN - is it any good for single player?

I think so. In a lot of ways, it's very different. In the basic NWN
campaign, the companions you can hire are largely oblivious to the world
and it is to them, but Linu La'neral still manages to be a better
character than most in BG1 or 2.

If you like Morrowind as well as BG, you'll probably like NWN.

Cool Hand wrote:

> Hey, Kish, long time no see...
>
> Don't know if you remember me, but I used to play (and hang around the
> newsgroup) the BG series. A lot of the hints and tips, I got from you.

Yeah, she's super helpful. :)

Kish wrote:

>> question: I am contemplating buying NWN - is it any good for single
>> player?
>
> If you like Morrowind as well as BG, you'll probably like NWN.

I was wondering that same thing myself, and your answer is interesting,
because I *love* Morrowind. A similar question: I really like playing
games with a solo character (without all the management like in BG), so
is it possible to play through NWN (and the expansions) without the aid
of another character?

John Salerno wrote:

> Kish wrote:
>
>>> question: I am contemplating buying NWN - is it any good for single
>>> player?
>>

>> If you like Morrowind as well as BG, you'll probably like NWN.
>

> I was wondering that same thing myself, and your answer is interesting,
> because I *love* Morrowind. A similar question: I really like playing
> games with a solo character (without all the management like in BG), so
> is it possible to play through NWN (and the expansions) without the aid
> of another character?

Yes--indeed, much more so than in BG (and you're missing much less of
the game that way than you are in the BG games), though it's still
probably a good idea to hire each of the companions long enough to find
out what they want and bring it to them in each chapter.

Kish wrote:

> though it's still
> probably a good idea to hire each of the companions long enough to find
> out what they want and bring it to them in each chapter.

so is there some kind of method/structure to hiring them? like one per
chapter, and then they leave after the chapter, or something like that?

John Salerno wrote:

> Kish wrote:
>
>> though it's still probably a good idea to hire each of the companions
>> long enough to find out what they want and bring it to them in each
>> chapter.
>

> so is there some kind of method/structure to hiring them? like one per
> chapter, and then they leave after the chapter, or something like that?

You can hire each of them when you can afford them. They'll give you an
item to symbolize that you hired them; you must hold on to those items.
Ask them about themselves. How much they're willing to tell you
depends on your level--finally, they'll tell you about something found
in that chapter that they want. If you give it to them, they'll reward
you. If you wish to hire them in later chapters, you must hang on to
both the token of employment they gave you and the reward item they gave
you.

Kish wrote:

> You can hire each of them when you can afford them. They'll give you an
> item to symbolize that you hired them; you must hold on to those items.
> Ask them about themselves. How much they're willing to tell you
> depends on your level--finally, they'll tell you about something found
> in that chapter that they want. If you give it to them, they'll reward
> you. If you wish to hire them in later chapters, you must hang on to
> both the token of employment they gave you and the reward item they gave
> you.

so you can hire any of them at any time?

and as far as the 'chapters' go, i'm guessing that's the same as BG1/2,
so it's possible to miss things if you don't do them within that
chapter? are areas ever closed off to you?

Kish wrote:

I was wondering that same thing myself, and your answer is interesting,
because I *love* Morrowind. A similar question: I really like playing
games with a solo character (without all the management like in BG), so
is it possible to play through NWN (and the expansions) without the aid
of another character?

on the regular difficulty level, the game can easily be done without those henchmen. They only cost you XP (since the difficulty level of the fight is less when you fight with 2 characters then just by yourself).
Do remember to talk to the henchies for their rewards on their life-stories, though

Have fun,
Oberulez