Opinions on the best Windows mobile PPC

April 6, 2005 1:45:06 AM

Has anyone had the luxury of trying out the following UK Pocket PC
cellular/mobile phones and come to a conclusion on the unit of choice?

O2 XDA IIs (I believe that this is the same same unit as the i-mate PDA2K,
the T-mobile MDA III and the UK Orange SPV M2000)
i-mate JAM
Any others? I've heard that T-mobile is releasing the all singing-all
dancing MDA IV in Europe this Summer. Looks a neat device!

A second question - does anyone in Europe sell an add - on card for the PPC
which can turn a PPC into a cellular/mobile which is unlocked and will
accept an existing service provider SIM card?

Thanks

Peter
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:18:49 PM

I'd recommend XDA IIi or QTEK 2020i (they are the same devices) instead if
IIs. IIs has lots of problems - sliding keyboard is too loose, BT headset
audio quality is awful with some headsets, rare ROM updates - it still does
not have official ROM with Windows Media Player 10 and you have to hack ROMs
and radio ROMs yourself to make it work stable.
I own Imate PDA2K and I'm thinking about changing it to IIi.

XDA IIi has a faster CPU, no useless keyboard, better design and an ability
to voicedial or listen audio over bluetooth headset. And it supports the
same extensions that XDA II had like CF slot and VGA output.

MDA IV is also a good device, but it has keyboard and IMHO looks big and
ugly. But it is running WM2005 OS which is the best PocketPC OS I've tried.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:55:55 AM

"Peter Maddern" <Pmad@btinternet.com> of BT Openworld wrote:

>Has anyone had the luxury of trying out the following UK Pocket PC
>cellular/mobile phones and come to a conclusion on the unit of choice?
>
>O2 XDA IIs (I believe that this is the same same unit as the i-mate PDA2K,
>the T-mobile MDA III and the UK Orange SPV M2000)
>i-mate JAM
>Any others? I've heard that T-mobile is releasing the all singing-all
>dancing MDA IV in Europe this Summer. Looks a neat device!
>
>A second question - does anyone in Europe sell an add - on card for the PPC
>which can turn a PPC into a cellular/mobile which is unlocked and will
>accept an existing service provider SIM card?

I went to a TMobile shop in February, expecting to come out with an MDAIII
for the built in keyboard. Instead I bought an MDA Compact (same as the
iMate JAM) because of its small size and superb bright pinsharp screen. In
use I also appreciate the sound, much louder than my old XDA1. If you
either don't need WiFi, or (like me) are content to use it from an SDIO
card, then it's worth a look.

More opinions can be found in the forums at
http://www.tekguru.co.uk

Second question I don't follow. Why do you want an add-on card? Just buy a
phone edition device and get it unlocked.
--
Circular Definition: see Definition, Circular
Steph Peters delete invalid from incm@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid