ChetCV

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
What are some typical symptoms if you have undervolted your CPU a little to far?

I have a new C2D E6600@3.0Ghz voltage at 1.22-1.25 volts. Prime95 showed no errors but randomly my vid card seems to go into sleep mode or shuts off. I hear sounds (i.e. TV card still running or PC game still running) but I can't get my vid back on without pressing the reset button. I don't think the problem is my low voltage to the CPU but I want to get some responces before I completely rule that out.

C2D E6600@3.0Ghz
P5B-Deluxe Wireless Edition
2GB G.Skill DDR2-800
Asus X1950Pro w Catalyst 6.12
1x74GB Raptor
1x400GB Seagate 7200.10
Audgiy2 ZS Platinum
OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU

ChetCV

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Asus x1950Pro w/ Catalyst 6.12 (No CCC installed just basic driver)

I didn't think so either. It is possible I got a bad card. I know I didn't zap it with any static since I was using a grounding strap during my build.

Right now I loaded default BIOS settings to see if it's something to do with my adjusted BIOS when I OC. Still doubtful since the only things I adjusted were FSB, vCore, Ram Voltag, PCIE freq=100, and PCIfreq=33. I will know in a few days since this happens almost daily. It really sucks!!

What are some typical symptoms if you have undervolted your CPU a little to far?

Typically your PC will freeze when placing a heavy load on the CPU. Happened to me when I was tweaking around with my HTPC. It worked fine doing most thing, but would crash when I do video encoding.

I don't play games on my HTPC, but unvolting the CPU shouldn't really have any effects on the GPU. I would re-install the drivers to see if it helps.

ChetCV

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006

Typically your PC will freeze when placing a heavy load on the CPU. Happened to me when I was tweaking around with my HTPC. It worked fine doing most thing, but would crash when I do video encoding.

I don't play games on my HTPC, but unvolting the CPU shouldn't really have any effects on the GPU. I would re-install the drivers to see if it helps.

I have reinstalled the drivers already and didn't solve anything unfortunately.

I can't say for sure the rest of the computer works since I can't see that the computer is still working but just hearing sound that isn't stuck or repeating leads me to believe it didn't crash.

Well it normally killed my video when I started WMP, PC Game, DVD Shrink so I that quick peak load of the CPU could be killing my system. I am going to load default BIOS setting and try running at stock clocks for a week. My video encodes will be a little slower but at least it's faster than my P4-1.8A@2.4Ghz

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I'm assuming you have a quality PSU? I'm not one of those to push $100+ PSUs, but I think that's what killed my last system. My vid card was doing the exact same thing at random times. Light on the monitor would go amber like the PC wasn't on. PC still running fine as far as I could tell. About 6 months later, dead PC. Still not completely sure it was my PSU though. Anywho, hopefully your symptoms aren't the exact same as mine were, or you might be in for more trouble than you think.

Oh, undervolting too far got me rounding errors in Prime95, so I think you're safe there.

ChetCV

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
I have a OCZ 600W PSU that retails for over $100. That's what has gotten me stumped. Power isn't an issue. Out of desperation I will try the other PCIE power connector on the PSU if my default clock C2D doesn't solve the problem.

The most likely problem should be PSU but with a quality 600W PSU I should be fine. Drivers were installed and reinstalled with the latest versions from ATi (Second driver version since x1950Pro was introduced).

I hope it's not a MB issue. I would hate to rip apart my rig to RMA my MB. If I don't figure this out in about one week I am going to RMA my Vid card and see what the replacement does.