INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE always after Sp4

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 23, 2005 1:10:11 AM

I am trying to set up a new Windows 2000 server. The system is comprised of the
following:

- SuperMicro X6DA8-G2 motherboard (on-board SCSI disabled via jumper)
- Adaptec 29320A (PCI Express) with HostRAID enabled, using RAID-1 (2 drives)
- HyperThreading disabled in BIOS
- 2 Xeon 3.2 GHz chips installed

Installation process works fine and I can boot into the OS. I am installing
(via F6) the right controller driver from Adaptec during initial install.

I am using Acronis True Image to back up & restore the boot partition. This
works fine.

Upon installing Sp4, I can no longer boot into the OS and keep getting a
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE stop error. I can't load into Safe Mode and trying to
do a repair install does not work (either via ESD or Console mode). The only
restoration possible is copying back the exact partition image over the failing one.

As I understand, this could be an issue with SP4 overwriting key driver files
for the SCSI controller but I've tried re-installing the controller driver
before rebooting after installing Sp4 and I still get the stop error. For
various reasons I'm unable to set up a parallel install on the system in order
to edit data on the failing partition so I am stuck trying to find a means to
install Sp4 and somehow avoid the stop error.

The motherboard has on-board SATA and IDE and I have 1 drive connected to each.
The main/boot drives are SCSI and connected to the HostRAID controller.

~Jay

--
Form <formhandle@fastseduction.com>

Fast Seduction 101 - http://www.fastseduction.com/
Class is now in session...

More about : inaccessible boot device sp4

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:10:12 AM

You might try loading the controller driver from floppy. For the floppy to
successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector.
Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT"
boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and
boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the
machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows will load a boot
device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then also
copy the correct manufacturer raid controller driver to the floppy but
renamed to ntbootdd.sys

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Formhandle" wrote:
|I am trying to set up a new Windows 2000 server. The system is comprised
of the
| following:
|
| - SuperMicro X6DA8-G2 motherboard (on-board SCSI disabled via jumper)
| - Adaptec 29320A (PCI Express) with HostRAID enabled, using RAID-1 (2
drives)
| - HyperThreading disabled in BIOS
| - 2 Xeon 3.2 GHz chips installed
|
| Installation process works fine and I can boot into the OS. I am
installing
| (via F6) the right controller driver from Adaptec during initial install.
|
| I am using Acronis True Image to back up & restore the boot partition.
This
| works fine.
|
| Upon installing Sp4, I can no longer boot into the OS and keep getting a
| INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE stop error. I can't load into Safe Mode and
trying to
| do a repair install does not work (either via ESD or Console mode). The
only
| restoration possible is copying back the exact partition image over the
failing one.

| As I understand, this could be an issue with SP4 overwriting key driver
files
| for the SCSI controller but I've tried re-installing the controller driver
| before rebooting after installing Sp4 and I still get the stop error. For
| various reasons I'm unable to set up a parallel install on the system in
order
| to edit data on the failing partition so I am stuck trying to find a means
| install Sp4 and somehow avoid the stop error.
|
| The motherboard has on-board SATA and IDE and I have 1 drive connected to
each.
| The main/boot drives are SCSI and connected to the HostRAID controller.
|
| ~Jay
|
| --
| Form <formhandle@fastseduction.com>
|
| Fast Seduction 101 - http://www.fastseduction.com/
| Class is now in session...
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:20:05 AM

Hi Derek,

I saw a copy of this information eaelier today and followed the instructions
exactly (checking to make sure I matched the steps exactly) but for some reason
was not able to boot from the floppy.

This is a normal formatting of the floppy, correct? Not special formatting
(like Win98 "sys a:" command)?

I think, also, the floppy boot procedure is in the case of not being able to
boot into the OS after such an error and what I'd like to do is avoid the error
in the first place. I'm able to restore a functional partition using Acronis
True Image, but the functional partition has no service packs installed. When I
apply Sp4, even making sure to re-install the Adaptec SCSI HostRAID driver
before rebooting, I get the stop error upon reboot.

Dave Patrick wrote:

> You might try loading the controller driver from floppy. For the floppy to
> successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector.
> Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT"
> boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and
> boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the
> machine you wish to boot.
>
> In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
> from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows will load a boot
> device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then also
> copy the correct manufacturer raid controller driver to the floppy but
> renamed to ntbootdd.sys
>

> Something like this below;
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=10
> default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
> [operating systems]
> scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
> scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
> scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
> scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"

--
Form <formhandle@fastseduction.com>

Fast Seduction 101 - http://www.fastseduction.com/
Class is now in session...
August 23, 2005 2:20:06 AM

"Formhandle" wrote:
| Hi Derek,
* No Derek here just Dave

| I saw a copy of this information eaelier today and followed the
instructions
| exactly (checking to make sure I matched the steps exactly) but for some
reason
| was not able to boot from the floppy.
* What happens when you try?

| This is a normal formatting of the floppy, correct? Not special
formatting
| (like Win98 "sys a:" command)?
* Correct, an NT'ish format

| I think, also, the floppy boot procedure is in the case of not being able
| boot into the OS after such an error and what I'd like to do is avoid the
error
| in the first place.
* Yes it's in case you can't start and may allow you to further troubleshoot
the problem.

I'm able to restore a functional partition using Acronis
| True Image, but the functional partition has no service packs installed.
When I
| apply Sp4, even making sure to re-install the Adaptec SCSI HostRAID driver
| before rebooting, I get the stop error upon reboot.
* You might also check the controller manufacturer's web site for this issue
and or an updated drive.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:49:01 AM

Dave Patrick wrote:

> | Hi Derek,
> * No Derek here just Dave

LOL, sorry about that. After trying to build a server for the past 12 hours my
eyes must be crossed :)

> | I saw a copy of this information eaelier today and followed the instructions
> | exactly (checking to make sure I matched the steps exactly) but for some reason
> | was not able to boot from the floppy.
> * What happens when you try?

Floppy disk access and a black screen... I wish I could tell you more...

> * You might also check the controller manufacturer's web site for this issue
> and or an updated drive.

I looked all over Adaptec's site. They have no info on this issue. I've tried
all variations of their HostRAID drivers associated with the card and Windows 2000.

The stop error doesn't specify a particular driver as the problem so maybe it
could be a non-SCSI problem? I wish I knew how to diagnose that....

--
Form <formhandle@fastseduction.com>

Fast Seduction 101 - http://www.fastseduction.com/
Class is now in session...
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:49:02 AM

0x7b usually means that the controller driver can't be found or that the
boot partition is inaccessible according to the arc path in boot.ini This is
why I wanted you to try the boot floppy.

--

"Formhandle" wrote:
| Dave Patrick wrote:
|
| > | Hi Derek,
| > * No Derek here just Dave
|
| LOL, sorry about that. After trying to build a server for the past 12
hours my
| eyes must be crossed :)
|
| > | I saw a copy of this information eaelier today and followed the
instructions
| > | exactly (checking to make sure I matched the steps exactly) but for
some reason
| > | was not able to boot from the floppy.
| > * What happens when you try?
|
| Floppy disk access and a black screen... I wish I could tell you more...
|
| > * You might also check the controller manufacturer's web site for this
issue
| > and or an updated drive.
|
| I looked all over Adaptec's site. They have no info on this issue. I've
tried
| all variations of their HostRAID drivers associated with the card and
Windows 2000.

| The stop error doesn't specify a particular driver as the problem so maybe
it
| could be a non-SCSI problem? I wish I knew how to diagnose that....
|
| --
| Form <formhandle@fastseduction.com>
|
| Fast Seduction 101 - http://www.fastseduction.com/
| Class is now in session...
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:35:04 AM

I managed to apply SP1, reboot, then SP2, reboot, then SP3, and reboot without
any problems. Then applying Sp4 brings back the stop error. I tried also
applying Sp4 rollup before rebooting after applying Sp4.

Anyone have additional ideas? Attempts are clean installs (just Windows with
nothing else), and I even tried using the motherboard SCSI controller so the
only peripheral attached to the motherboard is the graphics card.

The only thing I have in the system that might be uncommon is a Chenbro SCSI
backplane for hot-swapping SCSI drives.

--

!