Hello and thank you for reading my thread

I know there are many threads about the boot error
"\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced"

I have read Microsofts how-to on this and well it doesn't seem to work for
me. Or at least I can't understand it.

To start off I go to the recovery console, and type in system32\config
and it becomes 'C:\WINNT\system32\config>' the next step tells me to
"ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old"

I try typing this in however, the console tells me "The rename operatoin
failed."
What I'm wondering is how do I get the console to correctly rename the file.
I'm in need of assistance because school is starting for me and I need a
computer to do papers. Thank you again for reading my troublesomes.

If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG (F8 and
choose Last Known Good), It may be possible to rename the system hive found
in
%windir%\system32\config\system
to system.old

[example]
rename %windir%\system32\config\system system.old
[example]

then rename
%windir%\system32\config\system.alt
%windir%\system32\config\system

[example]
rename %windir%\system32\config\system.alt system
[example]

You can also try using the most recent backup found in
%windir%\repair\regback

If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
original-as-installed system hive from
%windir%\repair\system
%windir%\system32\config\system
You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
original OS install.

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %systemroot% or %windir%

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Minh" wrote:
| Hello and thank you for reading my thread
|
| I know there are many threads about the boot error
| "\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced"
|
| I have read Microsofts how-to on this and well it doesn't seem to work for
| me. Or at least I can't understand it.
|
| To start off I go to the recovery console, and type in system32\config
| and it becomes 'C:\WINNT\system32\config>' the next step tells me to
| "ren system system.old
| ren system.alt systemalt.old"
|
| I try typing this in however, the console tells me "The rename operatoin
| failed."
| What I'm wondering is how do I get the console to correctly rename the
file.
| I'm in need of assistance because school is starting for me and I need a
| computer to do papers. Thank you again for reading my troublesomes.

Thank you for responding.
However i have tried this many times, it seems that i'm not allowed to
rename or copy any of those files. when i try to rename something it says it
has failed, or the file is not there. WHen i try to copy files it tells me i
have not put the right directory or the file can not be found.

I haven't seen any instructions on how to fix that.

Difficult to say without knowing the exact commands and errors but you might
try copying from a parallel install.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465