Sign in with
Your question

Lowest ram timings on Corsair PC6400 cas 4?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2007 4:19:24 AM

Hey guys. New thread for RAM. I have the Corsair PC6400 Cas 4 and I'm sitting currently stable at 4-4-4-10-5-30 @ 2.1v

Is there anywhere for me to go from here? Before I go through all the trial-and-error, I just want to know if anyone's had success bringing this ram down any further.

Also, is there ANY way to find out what chips are on my sticks? I heard Corsair is now using Promos instead of Micron. Just wondering if I got one of the last lucky few pairs of Micron Corsairs. Thanks!
January 9, 2007 11:41:30 AM

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. Anyone have timings they've used with these? Thanks.
January 9, 2007 7:54:21 PM

Taking the heatspreaders off isnt a big deal, its much easier if they have clips but if not you just apply a lot of pressure when you put then back on. Take a pic for me and ill tell what theyre using.
What speed are you sitting at? Because they could do CL3 @ 667Mhz
Related resources
January 9, 2007 8:26:31 PM

I'm at 400 @ 1:1 with a C2D 6400 @ 3.2Ghz. Not sure if knowing the ram manufacturer is all that important if I risk damaging the sticks physically.

I'm more concerned with how tight I can make the timings without going through the hassel of trial and error if nobody's been able to do it yet at 400Mhz.
January 10, 2007 10:54:05 AM

You shouldnt even be overclocking is if you dont want the "hassle" of trial and error, dont be lazy and find out for yourself.
As much as 2.55v might be needed, so better add some extra cooling to the modules.
January 10, 2007 1:13:39 PM

Dude, if somebody told you "it's not gonna happen, these sticks can't do that", would you still waste your time? Frankly I have more important things to do than waste time on a fruitless endeavor. I'm not here for bragging rights. I'm here to get as much feasable performance out of my equipment as possible.

Don't tell me I shouldn't even be overclocking. I was simply asking if anyone's had any luck at all bringing these sticks' timings down any further.

I've already gone through plenty of "hassle" and I've done my share of overclocking in the past. I know what goes into it.
January 10, 2007 1:31:28 PM

Quote:
Dude, if somebody told you "it's not gonna happen, these sticks can't do that", would you still waste your time? Frankly I have more important things to do than waste time on a fruitless endeavor. I'm not here for bragging rights. I'm here to get as much feasable performance out of my equipment as possible.

Don't tell me I shouldn't even be overclocking. I was simply asking if anyone's had any luck at all bringing these sticks' timings down any further.

I've already gone through plenty of "hassle" and I've done my share of overclocking in the past. I know what goes into it.

Different sticks of ram from the same production batch will overclock differently, and the max. stable overclock also depends on motherboard, psu etc. so no one can definitively answer your question. You have to find out for yourself where your own installed memory's limits are.
I suggest starting with default settings then doing a repeated cycle of:
a) tweak bios setting up by small amount.
b) run memtest86 for a few hours
if no errors repeat a) b) loop else go back to last stable setting and be happy.
January 10, 2007 2:04:09 PM

I can live with that. Trial and error it is then. I just wanted to check and see if I was ultimately setting myself up for inevitable disappointment. That's all. Thanks for the responses guys. I'll post any improvements.
January 12, 2007 4:55:58 PM

I've got the same memory as you, and I'm currently running at similar speeds: 400 FSB on a E6400, 1:1, 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v

I'm not planning to O/C any faster for now, so this weekend I'll be looking to optimize my setup...reducing voltages and looking for tighter memory timings. I'll post my results.
January 12, 2007 5:35:31 PM

cool. thanks. Well, you should be able to bring the timings down to 4-4-4-10-5-30 @ 2.1

I'm not worried about bringing the voltage down since the spec from Corsair is 2.1v and they barely have a hint of warmth.

I'm gonna try this weekend as well to see if I can get any of the 4's down to 3.
!