Sign in with
Your question

New System lagging when using orange ports on Gigabyte 965P

Last response: in Motherboards
January 9, 2007 5:45:21 AM

I built my self a new computer just before christmas, using the Gigabyte 965P S3 motherboard. When i plug the hard drives into the orange sata ports (Intel ICH8 ports) the system lags (takes forever to boot into windows, takes forever to load any program, can't run multiple programs at once (too slow), requiring frequent reboots. This is in both SATA 150 and SATA 300 modes.
If i change the hard drives to the two purple sata ports (Gigabyte SATA controller (JMicron Controller), the system reacts normally, and runs at the speed i would expect.
Does anyone know whether this is a bad motherboard or what.
January 9, 2007 6:12:46 AM

when in the orange (intel) ports it is listed as IDE channel 0 Master for one of the hard disks and IDE channel 1 Master for the other in the bios.
When in the purple (Gigabyte) ports they are listed as IDE channel 5 Master and IDE channel 5 Slave.
January 9, 2007 7:13:03 AM

perhaps reflashing your bios could be of help.
I don't know what gigabyte's bios looks like, but if there's an option called "configure sata as ide" - enable it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 9, 2007 8:20:07 AM

Quote:
I don't know what gigabyte's bios looks like, but if there's an option called "configure sata as ide" - enable it.

Already is enabled in the bios. (first thing i checked)
January 9, 2007 2:10:13 PM

Below is my message posted on different forum on August 2006. So I had similiar problem as yours. What helped me was reinstalling windows. And don't install gigabyte raid drivers - escpecially in early CD version - they were blamed on some forums for setting IDE Devices on GB IDE Channel to PIO mode.

Quote:
A few days ago I assembled my new comp and after WinXp installation I got into troubles.
After first WinXP install everything seem to work OK, but probably after I connected my old Maxtor 120GB IDE hdd something messed up and my SATA Samsung started to work very slowly - even after I copied everything and removed old hdd from system. System permanently set up hdd to PIO mode and there were endless number of messages in event viewer:
51 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
9 The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.
And a few others:
26 The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.
11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

I tried connecting hdd to different positions on ICH8 but it didn't help. I tried to check disk with Samsung diagnostic tool "Hutil" and it show no problem with it. When I connected the drive to SATA port on JMicron controller everything was right but I was not satisfied such a strange things in new comp so I reinstalled WinXP once again with disk on ICH8.
(...)
CPU Core 2 Duo E6600
MB Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4
HDD SAMSUNG 250GB SATA II SP2504C
January 9, 2007 7:47:28 PM

Had reformated (full format) and reinstalled windows three times over the weekend i got it set up, didn't install gigabyte raid drivers at all as didn't plan about running in raid.
January 10, 2007 5:55:32 AM

Did you check what cause these problems? Are your hdds working i UDMA mode or are stuck in PIO maybe? Have you any error messages in event viewer?
What is your BIOS version - did you try to update it to newest one? There were new BIOSes for the entire GB P965 family lately. Did you try to clear CMOS?
January 10, 2007 6:10:34 AM

Bios version is f5 about to update it to f7. No error messages in event viewer, cleared the cmos.
How do i checkj what mode the hdds are in ?
January 10, 2007 7:14:06 AM

Quote:
I built my self a new computer just before christmas, using the Gigabyte 965P S3 motherboard. When i plug the hard drives into the orange sata ports (Intel ICH8 ports) the system lags (takes forever to boot into windows, takes forever to load any program, can't run multiple programs at once (too slow), requiring frequent reboots. This is in both SATA 150 and SATA 300 modes.
If i change the hard drives to the two purple sata ports (Gigabyte SATA controller (JMicron Controller), the system reacts normally, and runs at the speed i would expect.
Does anyone know whether this is a bad motherboard or what.

I had the EXACT same issue. I was using the F6 bios. I installed windows xp with the sata drive hooked up to the ICH8 ports and windows was very unstable; it couldn't even reboot without stalling. File transfer speeds were extremely slow between the SATA drive and an IDE drive. ALSO, I tried hooking the SATA drive from port 0 to 1,2,3 and the file transfer speeds improved. I didn't know what to think.

I then installed the new F7 bios, did a new install of windows (did a slow format during installation), and everything seems fine now. File transfer speeds seem to be normal now and the instability is gone.
January 10, 2007 6:11:16 PM

okay now I reverted back to the F6 bios and everything seems fine again. The only difference between now and when I had the F6 bios earlier is that I had a Creative Audigy 2 ZS installed in the PCI slot closest to the PCI-E

this is not making any sense. I had major problems with the F6 bios but now they seem to be gone

EDIT: I'm having the lagging problems again with the F6 bios. Windows takes an extremely long time to boot. Windows Event logger lists the following repeatedly while booting into Windows:

Error: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.

Warning: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
January 14, 2007 10:00:01 PM

Well I gave up on the ICH8 SATA ports; they simply won't work no matter what I do. I'm pretty surprised that nobody else is having these same problems. I switched over to the Gigabyte SATA ports and haven't had any problems. No more errors in event viewer either.
January 14, 2007 11:50:13 PM

Same. I gave up on the intel ICH8 ports as well. Still waiting for gigabyte online tech support to answer a question i asked about a week ago on it.
January 15, 2007 9:45:07 AM

@nibenentt
Let us know if you get any construtive answer from them. But I don't think you get. When I had that problem they just said "Send us that board and we'll see".

@ferrarifreak93
Why did you reverted back to F6 if on F7 everythink was OK? Did you try to flash to F7 once again?
You didn't list your system. What is your board and other components? (S3, DS3, DS4?)

I have no idea what caused it in my case but it stopped after I reinstalled system and updated BIOS. Be sure not to install drivers from MB cd. Get the newest one from GB site. Do you have any other issues?

I had this problem on August 2006 but didn't find anyone on forums with similiar issue untill now. And I still don't if it's early BIOS and chipset problem, hardware fault or specific configuration...
January 16, 2007 4:53:34 AM

I reverted back to the F6 bios because the system would hang after restarting the computer (with the cpu overclocked).

E6400
S3 mobo, F6 bios
2GB Patriot PC5300
Audigy 2 ZS
Trendnet Wireless PCI
Silicon Image 0680 RAID/IDE PCI

The restarting problems happened with and without all the PCI card installed. Afer I installed the F7 bios and reinstalled windows, everything seemed okay. However, I didn't have the F7 bios installed for very long so maybe the "lagging problem" just didn't have time to show up. This happened with the F6 bios; it took a few days for the "lagging" to start.
February 14, 2007 9:31:48 AM

Gigabyte said this

Quote:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products and contacting GBT Tech Support. First of all, we would like to apologize for our late response. As to the problem you mentioned, we suggest you follow the steps below to do some basic examination.

1) If possible, please try testing with other memory modules.

2) If your M/B is inside a case, please make sure that there’s not a short circuit. You can try building the whole system outside the case. Or remove every device except the essential ones such as CPU, RAM, VGA, FDD, HDD, CD-ROM and power supply. Then reboot the system and see if the condition gets better.

3) Please try to update your BIOS to the latest version, and load optimized setting after updating BIOS. (If you are already using the latest version, then make sure you Load Optimized.) Or, try clearing CMOS with taking off the on-board battery to leak voltage for more than one minute. Please be noted that the power supply should also be removed before the clearing CMOS is performed.

4) Please try downgrading the memory speed in BIOS setting first, and check if the BIOS can locate the HDD successfully. If it can locate the HDD, please save the setting first.

5) Please try formatting your HDD and re-installing OS and all drivers of your system, and then make sure that there’s no exclamation or question marks in the device manager of your OS.

However, if unfortunately, the problem remains, a further testing or examination to your system might be required. We suggest you to contact your supplier or nearest dealer and see if they help you to test your system directly. We are really sorry for the inconvenience you have with our product.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
December 19, 2010 5:46:00 PM

I know this thread is real old.... but ... it helped me in 2010 - In case anyone runs across this post and they have ga-965p-s3 (v1) - I experienced the exact same symptoms trying to upgrade to Vista x64 and Win 7 x64. In both cases, my problem was resolved by disabling the unboard Marvel ethernet and adding a PCI ethernet board. The second I disabled the Marvel controller in Bios the problem went away on all Intel Sata ports - Now seeing about 80MB/s (up from 2 to 3 MB/s)

Setup:
GA-965P-S3 (v1) - updated to F14 BIOS
RAID using Micron on board controller
4 Gig Adata Memory
E6400
1 TB WD drive on Intel controller
Asus Sata DVD on Intel controller
Win 7 x64
XFX 9400 GT
GA311 GigBit Ethernet Card PCI

Nothing on IDE port of Intel Controller (could not get IDE DVDs to work with Raid)/
May 8, 2011 12:50:02 AM

Hello, I'm having similar issues when using orange. I've tried connecting my hard disk to purple ports, but then Windows won't boot up (it gets to the loading screen right before "Please Wait" and "Welcome" screens, and then the computer restarts)... It boots up fine when plugged in orange ports (also, it's working a lot better since I've plugged it into Port3 - it was a lot worse when it was in Port0). But, my question is - why won't it boot from purple ports?

a c 189 V Motherboard
May 8, 2011 2:36:03 AM

If you ask me you are only asking for trouble if you switch your OS boot device around from port to port. After your OS is installed, leave it in the same port, don't move it.
May 8, 2011 3:18:43 AM

Have you tried to disable the on board ethernet when using win7 - it is not supported by win7. Disabling the ethernet solved my problem
May 9, 2011 1:14:37 PM

If that's onboard LAN, then yeah, I tried disabling it but to no avail.

@spooky2th
OK, but I had to switch it to port3 since Windows kept freezing literally every two seconds. Also, I couldn't write DVDs and I kept getting "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0." Since I switched ports, there's almost no freezing, but there's still an occasional error and I still can't write DVDs. I guess it's all due to a faulty motherboard, but I'll try reinstalling Windows while HD's plugged in one of the purple ports.

I've also tried changing the DVD writer and HD SATA cable, but that didn't help.
!