Help with Mio 168 GPS Pocket PC

April 6, 2005 5:29:08 AM

I'm pocket pc stupid.
I do OK on desktop PC's, being the family mr fix it.... but to this
group I cry HELP!! I have a Mio 168 GPS Pocket PC. Works like a
champ. I can run everything that came on it. But, how do I load new
programs? I would like something like "ms bookshelf" on the unit.
I've looked for faq's on this subject but it seems that the MIO has no
where to load programs?? and other 'pocket pc's' do??
I don't have access to other handhelds to compare and I can't find
help for such a basic question. With the unit.. only came
instructions on how to run the GPS function (which works great) and
advice not to use the pocket pc as a pocket pc, just as a gps
navigation system.
Yes, yes, I have lurked for quite a while, but remedial pre-basic
pocket pc 101 has not been covered. Any insight on how to load
anything would be appreciated. Ron

More about : mio 168 gps pocket

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:29:09 AM

Hello fellow Mio-168 user! If you're in the USA, welcome to a nightmare of
bad service! The EU version has been fixed and updated and has a good
website, while we have to deal with a terribly slow website and support
service in which nobody speaks English. We should network to help each
other out.

I had the same problem when I got started. I couldn't figure how to add
stuff. But, it sounds to me like you are trying to load a windows program
onto the pocket pc? This won't work, the platform is apples and oranges
from x86. You can only run programs written in the PocketPC assembly
language. If this isn't the case, maybe you have the same problem I did.

The procedure you follow to install stuff is generally run the install
program on your desktop computer with the pocketPC connected. If activesync
is running, it should intervene and ask you if you want to install the
program to the PPC. What happens is it installs the program to Activesync,
and you can use activesync to add/remove the programs to the PPC.

However, some (very few) programs will not have an install program. They
are usually single file applications, so you need to manually copy it to the
PPC and create a shortcut on the /WINDOWS/START MENU folder on the PPC using
your desktop's "My Computer" shortcut (select your pocket pc from the list.
this will put you in the documents folder on the ppc, go up one folder to
view the PocketPC's root)

Hope this helps.

"Ron" <ronnospamholland7624a@tyahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm pocket pc stupid.
> I do OK on desktop PC's, being the family mr fix it.... but to this
> group I cry HELP!! I have a Mio 168 GPS Pocket PC. Works like a
> champ. I can run everything that came on it. But, how do I load new
> programs? I would like something like "ms bookshelf" on the unit.
> I've looked for faq's on this subject but it seems that the MIO has no
> where to load programs?? and other 'pocket pc's' do??
> I don't have access to other handhelds to compare and I can't find
> help for such a basic question. With the unit.. only came
> instructions on how to run the GPS function (which works great) and
> advice not to use the pocket pc as a pocket pc, just as a gps
> navigation system.
> Yes, yes, I have lurked for quite a while, but remedial pre-basic
> pocket pc 101 has not been covered. Any insight on how to load
> anything would be appreciated. Ron
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:54:08 PM

Ron wrote:
> I'm pocket pc stupid.
> I do OK on desktop PC's, being the family mr fix it.... but to this
> group I cry HELP!! I have a Mio 168 GPS Pocket PC. Works like a
> champ. I can run everything that came on it. But, how do I load new
> programs? I would like something like "ms bookshelf" on the unit.
> I've looked for faq's on this subject but it seems that the MIO has no
> where to load programs?? and other 'pocket pc's' do??
> I don't have access to other handhelds to compare and I can't find
> help for such a basic question. With the unit.. only came
> instructions on how to run the GPS function (which works great) and
> advice not to use the pocket pc as a pocket pc, just as a gps
> navigation system.
> Yes, yes, I have lurked for quite a while, but remedial pre-basic
> pocket pc 101 has not been covered. Any insight on how to load
> anything would be appreciated. Ron

I have the same unit you do.

It comes with ActiveSync to load on the PC (at least mine did - it's an
old version, better to download the latest from MS) - the default
install of the PPC itself already has ActiveSync at that end.

The most common way to install apps on the PPC is that they run an
executable on the PC that communicates via ActiveSync to the PPC - so it
needs to be running & connected first (at both ends!). Mine works over
infra-red or the supplied USB cable. USB is *much* faster.

Also you need PPC *specific* software - you can't run PC applications on
the PPC.

That should get you started - ActiveSync is a whole 'nother world of
pain (sometimes!).

Chris.
!