Building new MCE Machine, looking for Graphics

aqualt1

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
First time on forum, first time builder.

Goal is to build a kick-ass MCE since I hate HP, here is what I have right now

MB: MSI K9N Platium
CPU: AMD X2 4200+
MEM: Corsair TWINX 2048mb PC5400 DDR2
HD: Seagate 320gb SATA
DVD: Sony DRU810
DVD: Sony XL1B 200 Disk Changer
Key: MS Remote MCE Keyboard
PS: Xion 600w v2 SLI PS
Case: Very cheap but good cooling, until I see that this works, then Zalman HTPC Case

What I need now is the eye candy for my teenagers, GPU and TV / Audio cards

Just bought a Hitachi 65F59A CRT with HDMI

Looking at HDMI native cards, but thinking I should get a better DVI card with a DVI to HDMI cable?

Looking for suggestions to round out my first project in GPU, TV and Audio

Also, should I invest in the Zalman CNPS9500 CPU cooler for my 4200+

Goals: Quiet and Cool, this is mild overclocker system

Thanks, this is a grat community!

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I agree with mpilchfamily, if you want the best, quiet, and cool, C2D is it. I'd also get a motherboard that is a little future-proof, that is, quad-core ready, and with a few more SATA ports. IMHO the two cards recommended are a bit of overkill, unless your kids are going to be doing some serious gaming. The 8800 generates quite a bit of heat, and this will cause your fans to kick in, increasing the noise. For the price, the X1950pro is a better buy, for killer performance including most games. It is crossfire capable so, if you need to increase the performance in the future, buy a second card. At $400 for the two, your still cheaper by at least $200 than an 8800, and almost comparable in performance. This card is overclocked, has video capture, crossfire ready, runs cool, and is extremely quiet, all for just "two stones":

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161062

This card is quite large so, as with any card you choose, you better make sure it is going to fit in the HTPC case you ultimately choose. Spend your GPU savings on a better motherboard and CPU.

mrbuzz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Again I agree with madmurph who agrees with mpilchfamily. Re-think your CPU and mthbrd combo. The 8800 GTX is a large card so make sure it fits. I needed to cut the drive cage in a box to sneak one in. Once it was in though....... damn watch out.

aqualt1

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I ended up buying the XFX 7600GS 256. Passively cooled, not a hot rod, but pretty good for a HTPC, best thing was the price, $70 with double lifetime warranty. This is stop gap until prices on the high end cards drop and HDMI is put onto more high end cards.

Only thing left to buy is dual TV tuner, looking at nVidia Dual or ATI 650

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I'd be careful with the ATI 650 -- they were pulled back by ATI around Sept./Oct. because of a hardware glitch. Not sure if they've been re-released yet, so if you find one (good luck), and the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you do the research on dual tuners, you'll find that the Saber 2020 has the best image. Better yet, it runs from the pci-e slot:

http://www.vistaview.tv/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=33

I bought mine here:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4134106

Finally, since you got a passively cooled vid card, pay close attention to your case cooling and airflow, since it is now pumping heat into the inside of your case, instead of exhausting out.