Black Screen After Logging into Windows 2000 Professional

I'm experiencing a strange issue whereby after I login to Windows 2000
Professional w/SP4 on a Dell Latitude C400 laptop my entire screen turns
black just as the Desktop icons begin to populate. It appears as though the
system shuts down.

I was able to start the system is safe mode and ran a full virus scan.
Also, I was able to boot normally and login using the administrator account
just fine. However, whenever I login using the system owner's domain account
the system will go blank. This same domain account when logging into another
system works fine.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be and how to resolve it? Thank
you in advance for your help.

The graphics adapter may be set to a resolution too high for the monitor.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mike dunphy" wrote:
| I'm experiencing a strange issue whereby after I login to Windows 2000
| Professional w/SP4 on a Dell Latitude C400 laptop my entire screen turns
| black just as the Desktop icons begin to populate. It appears as though
the
| system shuts down.
|
| I was able to start the system is safe mode and ran a full virus scan.
| Also, I was able to boot normally and login using the administrator
account
| just fine. However, whenever I login using the system owner's domain
account
| the system will go blank. This same domain account when logging into
another
| system works fine.
|
| Any thoughts as to what the problem might be and how to resolve it? Thank
| you in advance for your help.

If that was the case then wouldn't I experience the same issue regardless of
who I logged into the system as?

I ended up deleting / recreating the user profile of the problematic login,
and for the tiime being anyway the issue is resoved.

Thanks for your feedback.