Slow Windows 2000 server boot (about 8 minutes to desktop)

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 23, 2005 10:30:20 PM

Hi there!

I have a Windows 2000 SP4 DC server with all patches, the boot takes about 8
minutes to complete (from the Windows boot screen to desktop). Currently, of
'big things' the server runs AD and MSSQL v8 and Veritas BackupExec. Hardware is
an IBM x235, 1.5GB, system runs on RAID1 (2x10k rpm disks).

How do I go about finding the cause of the extremely[1] slow boot?

I really wish I could use bootvis on Windows 2000, since it would pinpoint the
exact 'problems'. Is there any other tool I can use?

[1] It might be normal for a 'heavy' server to be that slow, but I still would
like to figure out where it spends time.
--
I doubt, therefore I might be.
Anonymous

Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/st...

Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue as well:

System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

Regards,
Torgeir

Kim Noer wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have a Windows 2000 SP4 DC server with all patches, the boot takes about 8
> minutes to complete (from the Windows boot screen to desktop). Currently, of
> 'big things' the server runs AD and MSSQL v8 and Veritas BackupExec. Hardware is
> an IBM x235, 1.5GB, system runs on RAID1 (2x10k rpm disks).
>
> How do I go about finding the cause of the extremely[1] slow boot?
>
> I really wish I could use bootvis on Windows 2000, since it would pinpoint the
> exact 'problems'. Is there any other tool I can use?
>
> [1] It might be normal for a 'heavy' server to be that slow, but I still would
> like to figure out where it spends time.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: