Slow Windows 2000 server boot (about 8 minutes to desktop)

Hi there!

I have a Windows 2000 SP4 DC server with all patches, the boot takes about 8
minutes to complete (from the Windows boot screen to desktop). Currently, of
'big things' the server runs AD and MSSQL v8 and Veritas BackupExec. Hardware is
an IBM x235, 1.5GB, system runs on RAID1 (2x10k rpm disks).

How do I go about finding the cause of the extremely[1] slow boot?

I really wish I could use bootvis on Windows 2000, since it would pinpoint the
exact 'problems'. Is there any other tool I can use?

[1] It might be normal for a 'heavy' server to be that slow, but I still would
like to figure out where it spends time.
--
I doubt, therefore I might be.
1 answer Last reply

    Hi,

    You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
    on the computer?

    If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

    PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
    here:

    CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
    6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
    http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

    Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue as well:

    System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

    This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
    uninstall it:

    Start Regedit.exe

    Locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
    Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

    Locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
    Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

    Reboot the computer.

    Regards,
    Torgeir

    Kim Noer wrote:

    > Hi there!
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 SP4 DC server with all patches, the boot takes about 8
    > minutes to complete (from the Windows boot screen to desktop). Currently, of
    > 'big things' the server runs AD and MSSQL v8 and Veritas BackupExec. Hardware is
    > an IBM x235, 1.5GB, system runs on RAID1 (2x10k rpm disks).
    >
    > How do I go about finding the cause of the extremely[1] slow boot?
    >
    > I really wish I could use bootvis on Windows 2000, since it would pinpoint the
    > exact 'problems'. Is there any other tool I can use?
    >
    > [1] It might be normal for a 'heavy' server to be that slow, but I still would
    > like to figure out where it spends time.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Windows 2000 Boot Servers Windows