Global Power Management Settings

ross

How can I make a default "Always On" power management setting on a computer
that is used by a number of users? The computer is in a classroom-like
setting and currently when someone tries to use it, the computer is asleep.
Being that it is in a closet, getting to it to push the "on" button to pull
it out of sleep mode is not convenient, nor what I want users to have to do.
Can someone offer a suggestion? Thank you.

ross

I assume that since I have not gotten any response to this question that
either a) it can't be done, b) you've answered this question a million times
already or c) all of the above. Can someone be so kind as to give me a hint
on what to search for in the forum so I can resolve the issue? Much
appreciated and thanks.

"Ross" wrote:

> How can I make a default "Always On" power management setting on a computer
> that is used by a number of users? The computer is in a classroom-like
> setting and currently when someone tries to use it, the computer is asleep.
> Being that it is in a closet, getting to it to push the "on" button to pull
> it out of sleep mode is not convenient, nor what I want users to have to do.
> Can someone offer a suggestion? Thank you.

Ross - can't you set the thing to 'wake up' on a keystroke or mouse
movement? Seems to me there's a control panel (or BIOS) setting that
does that...but I can't tell you exactly where, don't use it.

Ross wrote:

> I assume that since I have not gotten any response to this question that
> either a) it can't be done, b) you've answered this question a million times
> already or c) all of the above. Can someone be so kind as to give me a hint
> on what to search for in the forum so I can resolve the issue? Much
> appreciated and thanks.
>
> "Ross" wrote:
>

>>How can I make a default "Always On" power management setting on a computer
>>that is used by a number of users? The computer is in a classroom-like
>>setting and currently when someone tries to use it, the computer is asleep.
>>Being that it is in a closet, getting to it to push the "on" button to pull
>>it out of sleep mode is not convenient, nor what I want users to have to do.
>>Can someone offer a suggestion? Thank you.

ross

Thanks for responding; I was beginning to think no one cared.

Here's the problem that I am having with this particular computer, a Dell
OptiPlex GX280 using Windows 2000. When a user logs in, the default Power
settings go into affect, that is, the monitor shuts off after x minutes, the
hard drive powers down in x minutes and the computer goes into Standby after
x minutes. If the user does not turn off Standby before he logs off of the
computer, then when the next person goes to use it, the user has to
physically push the power button on the computer. Not necessarily an easy
thing to do since it is in a closet and not easy to get to. (This computer
is in our main conference room.)

I do not want to have to explain to every user how to turn off the Standby
feature. before they log off. I know I'm not making myself very clear but
I'm doing my best.

Ross wrote:

> Thanks for responding; I was beginning to think no one cared.
>
> Here's the problem that I am having with this particular computer, a Dell
> OptiPlex GX280 using Windows 2000. When a user logs in, the default Power
> settings go into affect, that is, the monitor shuts off after x minutes, the
> hard drive powers down in x minutes and the computer goes into Standby after
> x minutes. If the user does not turn off Standby before he logs off of the
> computer, then when the next person goes to use it, the user has to
> physically push the power button on the computer. Not necessarily an easy
> thing to do since it is in a closet and not easy to get to. (This computer
> is in our main conference room.)
>
> I do not want to have to explain to every user how to turn off the Standby
> feature. before they log off. I know I'm not making myself very clear but
> I'm doing my best.
Hi,

I think you need to change the default user profile to the power
options you want. After this, all new users automatically gets the
setting correct from there. For any existing users, you would need
to delete their profiles to get the updated profile from the default
user profile at next logon.

305709 HOW TO: Create a Custom Default User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305709

319974 How To Create a Custom Default User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319974

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

ross

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Ross wrote:
>
> > Thanks for responding; I was beginning to think no one cared.
> >
> > Here's the problem that I am having with this particular computer, a Dell
> > OptiPlex GX280 using Windows 2000. When a user logs in, the default Power
> > settings go into affect, that is, the monitor shuts off after x minutes, the
> > hard drive powers down in x minutes and the computer goes into Standby after
> > x minutes. If the user does not turn off Standby before he logs off of the
> > computer, then when the next person goes to use it, the user has to
> > physically push the power button on the computer. Not necessarily an easy
> > thing to do since it is in a closet and not easy to get to. (This computer
> > is in our main conference room.)
> >
> > I do not want to have to explain to every user how to turn off the Standby
> > feature. before they log off. I know I'm not making myself very clear but
> > I'm doing my best.
> Hi,
>
> I think you need to change the default user profile to the power
> options you want. After this, all new users automatically gets the
> setting correct from there. For any existing users, you would need
> to delete their profiles to get the updated profile from the default
> user profile at next logon.
>
> 305709 HOW TO: Create a Custom Default User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305709
>
> 319974 How To Create a Custom Default User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319974

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Wow! This did the trick. Thank you SOOOOO much for the advice.

Ross