Changing Drive Letters 2000 Pro

I cloned the old hard drive on the client's Dell desktop using Norton Ghost.
The clone completed succesfully, but I can't boot on the new drive because
the BIOS on the computer only supports boot drives labeled C:. Since I can't
change the drive letter of the old drive when it's the boot drive, and
Windows won't let me assign the new drive the letter C: when they're both
connected, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? It's a perfectly stable system, I
really don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of installing Windows on
the new drive, drivers, updates, files, etc.
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about changing drive letters 2000

    In order for this to work the original system must have been installed to
    C:\

    How to Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188

    Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "daveroblit" wrote:
    |I cloned the old hard drive on the client's Dell desktop using Norton
    Ghost.
    | The clone completed succesfully, but I can't boot on the new drive because
    | the BIOS on the computer only supports boot drives labeled C:. Since I
    can't
    | change the drive letter of the old drive when it's the boot drive, and
    | Windows won't let me assign the new drive the letter C: when they're both
    | connected, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? It's a perfectly stable system, I
    | really don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of installing Windows
    on
    | the new drive, drivers, updates, files, etc.
    | Thanks.

    Thanks! I will try this.

    Dave

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > In order for this to work the original system must have been installed to
    > C:\
    >
    > How to Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188
    >

    > Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "daveroblit" wrote:
    > |I cloned the old hard drive on the client's Dell desktop using Norton
    > Ghost.
    > | The clone completed succesfully, but I can't boot on the new drive because
    > | the BIOS on the computer only supports boot drives labeled C:. Since I
    > can't
    > | change the drive letter of the old drive when it's the boot drive, and
    > | Windows won't let me assign the new drive the letter C: when they're both
    > | connected, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? It's a perfectly stable system, I
    > | really don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of installing Windows
    > on
    > | the new drive, drivers, updates, files, etc.
    > | Thanks.

    You're welcome

    --

    "daveroblit" wrote: