Changing Drive Letters 2000 Pro

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 23, 2005 3:10:03 PM

I cloned the old hard drive on the client's Dell desktop using Norton Ghost.
The clone completed succesfully, but I can't boot on the new drive because
the BIOS on the computer only supports boot drives labeled C:. Since I can't
change the drive letter of the old drive when it's the boot drive, and
Windows won't let me assign the new drive the letter C: when they're both
connected, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? It's a perfectly stable system, I
really don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of installing Windows on
the new drive, drivers, updates, files, etc.
Thanks.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:23:04 PM

In order for this to work the original system must have been installed to
C:\

How to Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"daveroblit" wrote:
|I cloned the old hard drive on the client's Dell desktop using Norton
Ghost.
| The clone completed succesfully, but I can't boot on the new drive because
| the BIOS on the computer only supports boot drives labeled C:. Since I
can't
| change the drive letter of the old drive when it's the boot drive, and
| Windows won't let me assign the new drive the letter C: when they're both
| connected, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? It's a perfectly stable system, I
| really don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of installing Windows
on
| the new drive, drivers, updates, files, etc.
| Thanks.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:23:05 PM

Thanks! I will try this.

Dave

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> In order for this to work the original system must have been installed to
> C:\
>
> How to Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188
>

> Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "daveroblit" wrote:
> |I cloned the old hard drive on the client's Dell desktop using Norton
> Ghost.
> | The clone completed succesfully, but I can't boot on the new drive because
> | the BIOS on the computer only supports boot drives labeled C:. Since I
> can't
> | change the drive letter of the old drive when it's the boot drive, and
> | Windows won't let me assign the new drive the letter C: when they're both
> | connected, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? It's a perfectly stable system, I
> | really don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of installing Windows
> on
> | the new drive, drivers, updates, files, etc.
> | Thanks.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:39:39 PM

You're welcome