Command line NOT working! Help!

I just reimaged a machine and notices my script files (drive mappings) are
not running during boot up. When I run the bat file myself I get the
following; ('net' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file).

I can't run ipconfig, arp or any other command line executable. Is there
anyway to fix that without running a repair? It sounds like a path is not set
but under environmental variables everything looks copasetic.

Thanks for any help!
Jeremy
7 answers Last reply
More about command line working help

    Control Panel|System|Advanced|Environment Variables|System Variables and
    make sure that "Path" has
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%
    at least somewhere in the string.

    Also check that "Path" found at
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    is a type Reg_Expand_Sz string and not type Reg_Sz

    You can run Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Backup, then choose ERD, then
    if you check the box for "Also backup....", then the reg will also be backed
    up to
    %windir%\repair\RegBack
    leaving the
    %windir%\repair\
    directory files intact as original installation.

    Then close all programs, run regedit, navigate to
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    rename the Reg_Sz string "Path" to "Pathx" Then run regedt32, navigate to
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    double-click on Pathx, then right-click|Copy the string then from the menu;
    Edit|Add Value
    Value Name:=Path
    Data Type:=REG_EXPAND_SZ
    OK
    then paste the string (copied from Pathx) in the string editor text box.
    OK
    Should be ok to delete the old value "Pathx" Close regedit, and regedt32,
    restart for effect.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Olam" wrote:
    |I just reimaged a machine and notices my script files (drive mappings) are
    | not running during boot up. When I run the bat file myself I get the
    | following; ('net' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    | operable program or batch file).
    |
    | I can't run ipconfig, arp or any other command line executable. Is there
    | anyway to fix that without running a repair? It sounds like a path is not
    set
    | but under environmental variables everything looks copasetic.
    |
    | Thanks for any help!
    | Jeremy

    Dave,

    Thanks for the post... I will try this tomorrow and post my outcome.

    Cheers
    Jeremy

    OK. You're welcome.

    --

    "Olam" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Thanks for the post... I will try this tomorrow and post my outcome.
    |
    | Cheers
    | Jeremy

    Dave,

    I've done all that you suggested but I'm still unable to run login scripts
    or any command from the CLI. Any other possible fixes before I run a repair?

    Thanks
    Jeremy

    Olam wrote:

    > Dave,
    >
    > I've done all that you suggested but I'm still unable
    > to run login scripts or any command from the CLI. Any
    > other possible fixes before I run a repair?
    Hi,

    If you did any changes, did you reboot before testing again?

    I suggest you download and run Fixpath.exe, it repairs most
    issues with the path.

    Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
    http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html

    To see Fixpath's output, run it from a command prompt...

    You should reboot after running Fixpath.exe.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Yes I did reboot as recommended after I made the changes. I will try the
    fixpath now and post my outcome.

    thanks!
    Jeremy

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Olam wrote:
    >
    > > Dave,
    > >
    > > I've done all that you suggested but I'm still unable
    > > to run login scripts or any command from the CLI. Any
    > > other possible fixes before I run a repair?
    > Hi,
    >
    > If you did any changes, did you reboot before testing again?
    >
    > I suggest you download and run Fixpath.exe, it repairs most
    > issues with the path.
    >
    > Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
    > http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
    >
    > To see Fixpath's output, run it from a command prompt...
    >
    > You should reboot after running Fixpath.exe.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Fixpath worked!! Much thanks.. I really didn't want to do a repair so I could
    learn how to fix this in the future.

    You guys are greatly appreciated!

    Jeremy

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Olam wrote:
    >
    > > Dave,
    > >
    > > I've done all that you suggested but I'm still unable
    > > to run login scripts or any command from the CLI. Any
    > > other possible fixes before I run a repair?
    > Hi,
    >
    > If you did any changes, did you reboot before testing again?
    >
    > I suggest you download and run Fixpath.exe, it repairs most
    > issues with the path.
    >
    > Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
    > http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
    >
    > To see Fixpath's output, run it from a command prompt...
    >
    > You should reboot after running Fixpath.exe.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Microsoft Command Line Windows