A noob once again

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
There are 3 things i love in this world: Computers, Linux, and Halo. I also have about $250 left over from my recent christmas buying spree. Ive been thinking about building a cheap linux box for a while, and now seems as good a time as ever.

A C2D setup is completly out of the question because of my budget. A Via based computer would be awesome, but ive realized that the price/performance ratio isnt the best. P4/D's are dirt cheap nowadays, so cheap i might be able to get a dual core. I would perfer and amd or via setup, but the Pentiums are not out of the question. So, that leaves AMD, great deals right now. And there enlies (sp?) my problem. I know next to nothing about amd cpu's and chipset's.

I was thinking about getting this Athlon because its pretty cheap. Im going with socket 939 because they seem to be cheaper then there AM2 counterparts. Is there a big performance difference between the 3200+ and the 3500+? Because the 3200+ is $14 cheaper, a pretty big amount when your building a $250 pc.

I figure 512mb ram should be sufficient, the linux distro im installing has pretty low hardware requirments. Ive heard the performance of amd cpu's is dependant on the ram timings, any truth to this?

For the video card im going with integrated graphics, mainly because its cheaper, i also wont require as powerful a psu.

For the psu i just need somthing of decent quality thats also cheap, im thinking 300w should be enough for this build. This Emermax psu doesnt seem to bad, but it seems to powerful for the price. Not opposed to bundled psu's, as long as its a quality unit.

As far as the optical drive goes im probably going to get a NEC 7170 (they took the 3550 off newegg.) since i know the quality is decent, and its not that expensive.

Im just going to get a cheap 80gb IDE or sata drive, thats all i need for this build.

Now for the main reason i posted this, the mobo. Knowing nothing about amd chipsets im pretty much helpless. I need a socket 939 (that is, if i stay with 939.) with onboard graphics. It needs to be cheap just like everything else in thise rig, like $50-$75. Oc'ing ability would be a nice, but thats why i have my C2D rig. Not sure whether not im going to get an m-atx case or a full size, the format of this mobo will be the deciding factor.

I dont care about looks when it comes to the case, as long as it has good airflow, its sturdy, and its cheap im happy.

So, to summarize probably the longest post ive written this month; I have $250, i want to build a linux box, im thinking amd or via, but Pentiums are ok if the price/performance ratio is there, and im in need of help. and Halo is awesome.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
You could shave off 37$ by getting rid of that PSU and getting a hand crank. That would leave 3$ over budget so you could wait a few days until Newegg adjusts their prices.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've thought long and hard about that one and I see no way of saving any more money. You might try some other online retailers or eBay??

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I was going to suggest running caseless, but only in a joking way. Now that you bring it up, I don't see why you can't run without a case. Just beware of our enemy: static electricity...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I was going to suggest running caseless, but only in a joking way. Now that you bring it up, I don't see why you can't run without a case. Just beware of our enemy: static electricity...

Yeah, ill have to be pretty careful, im not exactly sure where im going to put it, origially i figured it would go under my desk, but thats out since its not going to have a case. I have a really old dell that i found a while back, i wanted the cpu so i could make a keychain, I guess i could use that case, its not doing much.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Look for a threar called 10 dollar CPU. Jumping Jack bought a 939 athlon 4000+ for 50 bucks with a 40 dollar rebate. (OEM of course).

sailer

Splendid

Yeah, ill have to be pretty careful, im not exactly sure where im going to put it, origially i figured it would go under my desk, but thats out since its not going to have a case. I have a really old dell that i found a while back, i wanted the cpu so i could make a keychain, I guess i could use that case, its not doing much.

Some of those old Dell cases were pretty good. I put one through three rebuilds before giving it away to a now ex-girlfriend. If you can use the Dell case, I'd put the extra money into a better cpu.

Just noticed that one of the original cpu's you listed was a 3400+ for $55.95. Did I miss something in your later outline of what you wanted, or did you post the wrong part number?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Just noticed that one of the original cpu's you listed was a 3400+ for $55.95. Did I miss something in your later outline of what you wanted, or did you post the wrong part number?

Right now its a toss up between the 3200+ and the 3400+, There both the same price, but the 3400+ is an OEM part, so it doesnt come with a hsf. Im not sure what to do, buy the more powerful cpu and spend $25 or so on a hsf, or do i buy the 3200+ which already has a hsf.

you do know that halo is coming out for vista and dx10 (only dx10 and vista support, not any others) in a tiny bit right? Maybe you should save your money and either get a 360 or get a dx10 card later on so you can play halo 2 for pc

I already have a 360, so thats taken care of, and i dont plan on moving over to vista until they work out the kinks and driver support gets better.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Then why make another build? Just save the money and make a dx10 linux build later on

Because i want another pc, that way i can use 3 computers instead of just 2. I could just dual boot linux on my C2D rig, but another pc is even better. Plus this pc is a whole lot cheaper to upgrade then my main rig.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
DUde you really can't pass this up I bought one cause it was a great deal I mean look it is a great mobo with onboard Geforce 6100!!!! And comes with a 3800x Venice 2.4 for on 150!!!! or just the mobo for $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264

ZOMG! Thanks for the heads up dude, im putting in my order after i finish typing this!

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Halo 1 will run fine with that I have this set up and use it for my lan setup in my basement and it play Halo,Raven Shield,HL2. Now it cant be on all High but on HL2 it plays fine on medium settings paired up with 2gbs of ram

EDIT: and it's a lot better than what he was looking at for the price don't you think? :lol:

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
you have a good point. But i bet with this deal he will change his mind on the budget but if not well then at least you have a cool box to look at for awhile

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Remember, this is a linux box, no gaming will be done what so ever. Im going to add 512mb of ram to begin with, then next month ill bump it up to 1gb. I was originaly going to buy a new hdd and optical drive, but i figure i can reuse the parts out of the dell i ripped apart a month or two ago so i could make the cpu into a keychain.

In february or march ill add an actually gfx card, maybe a better psu, a big hdd and a better optical drive. Then in april or may ill replace the mobo, cpu, and ram. So these parts are pretty much place holders for a few months.

I figure by then my main rig will have been heavily upgraded as well, so i can transfer the old parts from that build to this one.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Super Talent ram = totaly awesome.

The case is the thing i really cant decide on, i need something with a small footprint, it has to be pretty cheap (my current budget still stands.) and the quality has to be atleast decent, since this is one of the things i dont plan on upgrading right away.