What a hodgepodge with MS using validation tools

I only run a few computers - but 50 roughly is too many to mess with
individually.

I had been running XP without a service pack for the computers - but a
mucky muck said His computer ran XP with SP2 at home and was convinced the
company would be better if all computers ran SP2. I tried to talk sense,
but he writes my checks.

Nightmare.

I did not think to block Microsoft sites and now I am getting emails as to
why such and such things will not install - I always thought I was running
a true copy of Windows - yikes!!

I run 2000 and I will be hard damned to install another product of
Microsoft across the local net of any kind - without some type of clear
warnings what I should disable on a localnet.

"I did not think to block Microsoft sites and now I am getting emails as to
why such and such things will not install - I always thought I was running
a true copy of Windows - yikes!!"

Huh? You won't get any emails from MS unless you asked for them.
Are you for real with your comments, or is this just trolling?

Tom

"evieg" <evieg@noway.com> wrote in message
|I only run a few computers - but 50 roughly is too many to mess with
| individually.
|
| I had been running XP without a service pack for the computers - but a
| mucky muck said His computer ran XP with SP2 at home and was convinced the
| company would be better if all computers ran SP2. I tried to talk sense,
| but he writes my checks.
|
| Nightmare.
|
| I did not think to block Microsoft sites and now I am getting emails as to
| why such and such things will not install - I always thought I was running
| a true copy of Windows - yikes!!
|
| I run 2000 and I will be hard damned to install another product of
| Microsoft across the local net of any kind - without some type of clear
| warnings what I should disable on a localnet.

You issue is well taken but I am at a loss what you mean by, "without some
type of clear warnings what I should disable on a localnet." What do you
mean? Should Microsoft tell you what to disable on your localnet or should
you do the reasearch to find out what you should disable on thre localnet?
I suggest the latter.

Now about these e-mails? If all your Windows XP machines have been
validated what more do you want to do? Once validated that's the end of it.
If Microsoft has srewey servers just tell them to bug off.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in

> "I did not think to block Microsoft sites and now I am getting emails
> as to why such and such things will not install - I always thought I
> was running a true copy of Windows - yikes!!"
>
> Huh? You won't get any emails from MS unless you asked for them.
> Are you for real with your comments, or is this just trolling?
>
> Tom
>
> "evieg" <evieg@noway.com> wrote in message
>|I only run a few computers - but 50 roughly is too many to mess with
>| individually.
>|
>| I had been running XP without a service pack for the computers - but
>| a mucky muck said His computer ran XP with SP2 at home and was
>| convinced the company would be better if all computers ran SP2. I
>| tried to talk sense, but he writes my checks.
>|
>| Nightmare.
>|
>| I did not think to block Microsoft sites and now I am getting emails
>| as to why such and such things will not install - I always thought I
>| was running a true copy of Windows - yikes!!
>|
>| I run 2000 and I will be hard damned to install another product of
>| Microsoft across the local net of any kind - without some type of
>| clear warnings what I should disable on a localnet.

sorry - my bad

It has been my policy to allow access to every site for Users but deny
the ability to install programs. I know this means folks play with the
computer connection - but it gave me a sense of security. Out of
security concerns I have never activated any of the XP copies. Nightly I
wipe the computers of their working copies of XP and install a fresh
Ghost copy. It takes about three minutes across the localnet.

Now that MS is checking copies folks get to the point where they can
download something - but then are told they cannot proceed because their
copy has not been activated. I have some unhappy campers now.

After I go through the process of activation - I am going to install Red
Hat.

After Activation you don't have to do anything. Linux if want because
likely I will be following you soon but really Activation is not the bugaboo
you think it is. Of course as long as your copies are legit.

--
George Hester