How can I put credit card stuff on my website?

Montymouse

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
How do I put payment pages on my website, so that customers can buy things by using their credit cards? What is the cheapest and most secure way to do this? Montymouse

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
First check to see if your credit card processor has a package for doing this. Some have a setup that you can connect to there system for the processing. Then return back to your site with a transaction number.

I had it on my site. You basicly have to set up secure SSL conection for the info to be entered. Hopefully your processor will provide the software to verify the cards. If not you just need to collect the info then enter it into you credit card processor machine. The storage of this info must be kept with the highest security. There is a way to enter the card no insted of swiping the card. Mine had a button for internet sales.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I'm surprised nobody's recommended PayPal yet. This is basically their entire business model. If you don't already have a merchant account, then this is by far the easiest way to go.

If you do have one, then like Blue said, call them and find out what you need to do in order to get your website set up to process cards. Each company will be different, but it's safe to say you WILL probably need to find a consultant, that isn't something the average Joe can tackle himself.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Credit card processing is not that bad. I my case I collected the data then keyed in the info to my credit card pad when I was ready to ship out. It was a extra step.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I was speaking of actually processing the card online, but manual entry is a lot easier for some people, and probably cheaper too. Just make sure you have SSL!

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Last time I used Paypal in that manner was a year or so ago, so I might be a bit rusty, but IIRC they had two ways to do it. I think one was normal and the other was pro or something, but one way sent the customer to Paypal's server to do the actual transaction, and then they sent the response back to your server through an HTTP post, and then the second way, your server interfaced with them directly and the user stayed on your site the whole time.

The pro way is probably too complex for joe anybody to set up. The standard way is also pretty complex, unless you have some sort of prebuilt shopping cart like osCommerce that already has Paypal support built in. Then it's not too bad.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If you are allready paying for a credit card process, you proably don't want to use paypal. Don't Need to pay paypay 3% everytime, then pay your processor too.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Well, assuming the card processor has rates lower than 2.9%. It's not like you'd be paying double or anything though. Most card processors only charge you for usage, unless you lease your terminal. I always tell people to just buy one online, you save a ton of money that way. I think Paypal cuts your rate to 2.2% if you do enough volume. Something else I forgot to mention is Google checkout. You could check into them as well.