Freeing Up Space

January 30, 2005 4:47:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

WIN XP HE, SP1

Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
least another 6%--600M
I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
would like NOT to have to deal with.
I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall to
significantly save space.
Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",
etc.)
Tx a lot.

More about : freeing space

January 30, 2005 4:48:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What size is your harddrive? Sounds like you either need an additional
(slave) or a larger one. You can free up a lot of space by deletting prior
restore points. The default setting is 12%. You could cut that space to 8
or 10%.
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>
System Restore Settings - move the slider to the left>Apply>OK
To clear all but the last restore points, go to:
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup>More Options tab
System Restore>Cleanup>Yes

"saturnin02" wrote:

> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> WIN XP HE, SP1
>
> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> least another 6%--600M
> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
> would like NOT to have to deal with.
> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall to
> significantly save space.
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",
> etc.)
> Tx a lot.

January 30, 2005 4:48:00 PM

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> WIN XP HE, SP1
>
> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free
> up at least another 6%--600M
> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I
> can do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to
> D--which I would like NOT to have to deal with.
> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to
> uninstall to significantly save space.
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling
> "Hibernate", etc.)
> Tx a lot.

Reduce your IE cache size to 50 MB.
Empty Temp and the Recycle Bin.
Compact all your OE folders while Working Offline.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:47:59 -0500, saturnin02 wrote:

> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> WIN XP HE, SP1
>
> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> least another 6%--600M
> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
> would like NOT to have to deal with.
> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall to
> significantly save space.
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",
> etc.)
> Tx a lot.

A few more places you could trim:

- Internet Options> Temporary Internet Files> Settings: Move Folder. If
using another browser, there should be similar settings in its menus.
- Outlook Express> Tools> Options> Maintenance> Store folder: move the
folder away from C:. Again, similar settings may be available in your email
client if not using OE.
- Recycle Bin properties: Reduce the size of the recycle bin
- System Restore: Reduce the amount of space allotted for restore points
(minimum is 200 MB).

May be some others but that's all I can think of at the moment.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Three big space users on C: are the Temp folder, Temporary Internet Files folder and Recycle Bin. If you have multiple users installed, then those are present for each user. First step is to run Disk Cleanup, and if you have multiple users login to each profile and repeat.

If the D: drive is actually a second physical drive, you can move the pagefile to D: to not only save space but improve performance. You do need to leave a small pagefile on C:, though.

If you still don't have enough free space, please post back with information about how large you C: drive is. In general you will probably use at least 2 - 3 GB just for Windows and the standard programs, so if have an extremely small C: then there might not be much help.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:exIm%23wvBFHA.3644@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> WIN XP HE, SP1
>
> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> least another 6%--600M
> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
> would like NOT to have to deal with.
> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall to
> significantly save space.
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",
> etc.)
> Tx a lot.

January 30, 2005 4:48:00 PM

This may help:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Also Step 7 on this link:

Check System Restore.
Make sure it is saving Restore Points to meet your needs, but no more.
It does not do much good to use Disk Clean-Up to delete the Restore Points
if SR is functioning properly since the space will soon be filled base on
your SR settings.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> WIN XP HE, SP1
>
> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> least another 6%--600M
> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
> would like NOT to have to deal with.
> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall
> significantly save space.
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",
> etc.)
> Tx a lot.

January 30, 2005 5:05:08 PM

Do you have a CD writer? Graphic and sound files take up enormous space. It would be
my first choice...

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> WIN XP HE, SP1
>
> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> least another 6%--600M
> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
> would like NOT to have to deal with.
> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall to
> significantly save space.
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",
> etc.)
> Tx a lot.

January 30, 2005 5:29:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi,
Tx for the replies.
C drive is 11.1 GB capacity; D drive is 16.7 GB
I reduced Restore settings to 8 % and that was helpful.
I ahve already done all of the possible disk cleanups I can think of.
I don't really have a lot of graphic and sound file on C so I am not sure
that would help a lot.
Anything else..?
Tx,

Byte wrote:
> What size is your harddrive? Sounds like you either need an additional
> (slave) or a larger one. You can free up a lot of space by deletting
> prior restore points. The default setting is 12%. You could cut that
> space to 8 or 10%.
> Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>
> System Restore Settings - move the slider to the left>Apply>OK
> To clear all but the last restore points, go to:
> Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup>More Options tab
> System Restore>Cleanup>Yes
>
> "saturnin02" wrote:
>
>> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>>
>> WIN XP HE, SP1
>>
>> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
>> least another 6%--600M
>> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
>> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
>> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
>> would like NOT to have to deal with.
>> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall
>> to significantly save space.
>> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling
>> "Hibernate", etc.)
>> Tx a lot.
January 30, 2005 5:29:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You did not state whether you deleted previous restore points. On your
drive it could clean up about 10% thats about 1 GB. All XP system files must
stay on C, your boot drive. Some applications use shared files from your C
drive and that could cause a problem installing them on D. Best is to use
your D drive for storage such as personal data, photos and music files.

"saturnin02" wrote:

> Hi,
> Tx for the replies.
> C drive is 11.1 GB capacity; D drive is 16.7 GB
> I reduced Restore settings to 8 % and that was helpful.
> I ahve already done all of the possible disk cleanups I can think of.
> I don't really have a lot of graphic and sound file on C so I am not sure
> that would help a lot.
> Anything else..?
> Tx,
>
> Byte wrote:
> > What size is your harddrive? Sounds like you either need an additional
> > (slave) or a larger one. You can free up a lot of space by deletting
> > prior restore points. The default setting is 12%. You could cut that
> > space to 8 or 10%.
> > Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>
> > System Restore Settings - move the slider to the left>Apply>OK
> > To clear all but the last restore points, go to:
> > Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup>More Options tab
> > System Restore>Cleanup>Yes
> >
> > "saturnin02" wrote:
> >
> >> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
> >>
> >> WIN XP HE, SP1
> >>
> >> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> >> least another 6%--600M
> >> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> >> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
> >> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
> >> would like NOT to have to deal with.
> >> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall
> >> to significantly save space.
> >> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling
> >> "Hibernate", etc.)
> >> Tx a lot.

January 30, 2005 7:44:05 PM

saturnin02 wrote:

> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> WIN XP HE, SP1
>
> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> least another 6%--600M
> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what I can
> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to D--which I
> would like NOT to have to deal with.
> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to uninstall to
> significantly save space.
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",
> etc.)
> Tx a lot.

Uninstall programs and reinstall on the D: drive is your last choice.
It's not that big a deal.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:59:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You need to click on the More Options tab in Disk CleanUp to carry out
the suggestion by Byte, which will alleviate your situation.

Have you moved your My Documents, Temporary Internet Files and Outlook
Express store folders to the other drive?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o PByWIwBFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> Tx for the replies.
> C drive is 11.1 GB capacity; D drive is 16.7 GB
> I reduced Restore settings to 8 % and that was helpful.
> I ahve already done all of the possible disk cleanups I can think of.
> I don't really have a lot of graphic and sound file on C so I am not
> sure
> that would help a lot.
> Anything else..?
> Tx,
>
> Byte wrote:
>> What size is your harddrive? Sounds like you either need an
>> additional
>> (slave) or a larger one. You can free up a lot of space by deletting
>> prior restore points. The default setting is 12%. You could cut
>> that
>> space to 8 or 10%.
>> Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>
>> System Restore Settings - move the slider to the left>Apply>OK
>> To clear all but the last restore points, go to:
>> Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup>More Options
>> tab
>> System Restore>Cleanup>Yes
>>
>> "saturnin02" wrote:
>>
>>> Follow up to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>>>
>>> WIN XP HE, SP1
>>>
>>> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free
>>> up at
>>> least another 6%--600M
>>> I have already disabled the "hibernate" function to save space.
>>> I have moved files to my D drive but I am coming to the end of what
>>> I can
>>> do--besides uninstalling programs from C and re-installing to
>>> D--which I
>>> would like NOT to have to deal with.
>>> I do not have a lot of extra Windows accessories or options to
>>> uninstall
>>> to significantly save space.
>>> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling
>>> "Hibernate", etc.)
>>> Tx a lot.

January 31, 2005 5:11:05 AM

saturnin02 wrote:

> Hi, my C drive only has about 9% free disk space and I need to free up at
> least another 6%--600M
> Any suggestions as to what COULD be done? (Such as disabling "Hibernate",

You want at least 15% free space at all times. IT's time to get a larger
hard drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Gerry,
Have done the Disk CleanUp Option, etc.
What is the best way to move the My Documents, Temporary Internet Files and
Outlook
Express store folders to the other drive?
Just drag and drop in Windows Explorer...or other?
What is the location of the Temporary Internet Files?
Tx,

Gerry Cornell wrote:
> You need to click on the More Options tab in Disk CleanUp to carry out
> the suggestion by Byte, which will alleviate your situation.
>
> Have you moved your My Documents, Temporary Internet Files and Outlook
> Express store folders to the other drive?
>

> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o PByWIwBFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> Tx for the replies.
>> C drive is 11.1 GB capacity; D drive is 16.7 GB
>> I reduced Restore settings to 8 % and that was helpful.
>> I ahve already done all of the possible disk cleanups I can think of.
>> I don't really have a lot of graphic and sound file on C so I am not
>> sure
>> that would help a lot.
>> Anything else..?
>> Tx,
>>
>> Byte wrote:
>>> What size is your harddrive? Sounds like you either need an
>>> additional
>>> (slave) or a larger one. You can free up a lot of space by deletting
>>> prior restore points. The default setting is 12%. You could cut
>>> that
>>> space to 8 or 10%.
>>> Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>
>>> System Restore Settings - move the slider to the left>Apply>OK
>>> To clear all but the last restore points, go to:
>>> Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup>More Options
>>> tab
>>> System Restore>Cleanup>Yes

February 1, 2005 1:06:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files
in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
General and change default file path.

For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.

To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Gerry,
> Have done the Disk CleanUp Option, etc.
> What is the best way to move the My Documents, Temporary Internet
> Files and
> Outlook
> Express store folders to the other drive?
> Just drag and drop in Windows Explorer...or other?
> What is the location of the Temporary Internet Files?
> Tx,
>
> Gerry Cornell wrote:
>> You need to click on the More Options tab in Disk CleanUp to carry
>> out
>> the suggestion by Byte, which will alleviate your situation.
>>
>> Have you moved your My Documents, Temporary Internet Files and
>> Outlook
>> Express store folders to the other drive?
>>

>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o PByWIwBFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>> Tx for the replies.
>>> C drive is 11.1 GB capacity; D drive is 16.7 GB
>>> I reduced Restore settings to 8 % and that was helpful.
>>> I ahve already done all of the possible disk cleanups I can think
>>> of.
>>> I don't really have a lot of graphic and sound file on C so I am not
>>> sure
>>> that would help a lot.
>>> Anything else..?
>>> Tx,

February 2, 2005 12:05:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

But make sure the other folder actually exists BEFORE telling OE to move the
data there.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
news:o Ke7KF%23BFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl
> Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move
> ) the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the
> files in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems
> deleting use Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will
> also need to change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office
> programmes you use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations,
> highlight Documents, click on Modify and change file path. For Excel
> go to Tools, Options, General and change default file path.
>
> For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
> Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.
>
> To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
> Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
>

> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Gerry,
>> Have done the Disk CleanUp Option, etc.
>> What is the best way to move the My Documents, Temporary Internet
>> Files and
>> Outlook
>> Express store folders to the other drive?
>> Just drag and drop in Windows Explorer...or other?
>> What is the location of the Temporary Internet Files?
>> Tx,
February 2, 2005 1:28:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Ok, Great.
Thanks to all who posted replies--much appreciated.
Gerry Cornell wrote:
> Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
> the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files
> in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
> Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
> change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
> use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
> click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
> General and change default file path.
>
> For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
> Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.
>
> To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
> Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
>

> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Gerry,
>> Have done the Disk CleanUp Option, etc.
>> What is the best way to move the My Documents, Temporary Internet
>> Files and
>> Outlook
>> Express store folders to the other drive?
>> Just drag and drop in Windows Explorer...or other?
>> What is the location of the Temporary Internet Files?
>> Tx,
>>
>> Gerry Cornell wrote:
>>> You need to click on the More Options tab in Disk CleanUp to carry
>>> out
>>> the suggestion by Byte, which will alleviate your situation.
>>>
>>> Have you moved your My Documents, Temporary Internet Files and
>>> Outlook
>>> Express store folders to the other drive?
>>>

>>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o PByWIwBFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

February 2, 2005 2:20:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What's wrong with "Move" instead of "Copy" as u suggest? Just curious to
understand that.
Tx,
Gerry Cornell wrote:
> Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
> the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files
> in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
> Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
> change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
> use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
> click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
> General and change default file path.
>
> For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
> Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.
>
> To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
> Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
>

> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Gerry,
>> Have done the Disk CleanUp Option, etc.
>> What is the best way to move the My Documents, Temporary Internet
>> Files and
>> Outlook
>> Express store folders to the other drive?
>> Just drag and drop in Windows Explorer...or other?
>> What is the location of the Temporary Internet Files?
>> Tx,
>>
>> Gerry Cornell wrote:
>>> You need to click on the More Options tab in Disk CleanUp to carry
>>> out
>>> the suggestion by Byte, which will alleviate your situation.
>>>
>>> Have you moved your My Documents, Temporary Internet Files and
>>> Outlook
>>> Express store folders to the other drive?
>>>

>>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o PByWIwBFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

February 2, 2005 5:15:03 PM

saturnin02 wrote:
> What's wrong with "Move" instead of "Copy" as u suggest? Just curious to
> understand that.
> Tx,
> Gerry Cornell wrote:
>
>>Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
>>the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files
>>in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
>>Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
>>change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
>>use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
>>click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
>>General and change default file path.
>>
>>For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
>>Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.
>>
>>To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
>>Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
>>

>>"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Gerry,
>>>Have done the Disk CleanUp Option, etc.
>>>What is the best way to move the My Documents, Temporary Internet
>>>Files and
>>>Outlook
>>>Express store folders to the other drive?
>>>Just drag and drop in Windows Explorer...or other?
>>>What is the location of the Temporary Internet Files?
>>>Tx,

If something should go wrong during the move you may lose the
data. I had a situation where I moved a very large file and it
exceeded the space on the drive I sent it to( doh). Needless to say
I was very happy that I had a backup and now I don't use the
move option at all. If you use copy and paste you still have the
original and you can check to make sure the copy completed to your
satisfaction.

gls858
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Makes sense. Tx.
gls858 wrote:
> saturnin02 wrote:
>> What's wrong with "Move" instead of "Copy" as u suggest? Just curious to
>> understand that.
>> Tx,
>> Gerry Cornell wrote:
>>
>>> Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
>>> the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files
>>> in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
>>> Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
>>> change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
>>> use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
>>> click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
>>> General and change default file path.
>>>
>>> For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
>>> Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.
>>>
>>> To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
>>> Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
>>>

>>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If something should go wrong during the move you may lose the
> data. I had a situation where I moved a very large file and it
> exceeded the space on the drive I sent it to( doh). Needless to say
> I was very happy that I had a backup and now I don't use the
> move option at all. If you use copy and paste you still have the
> original and you can check to make sure the copy completed to your
> satisfaction.
>
> gls858
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:26:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

The combination of copying and deleting puts greater demands on the
system. It quicker to copy large volumes of data and then delete the
original after completing the first task. This may more noticeable on a
system that is short on disk space as yours is.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> What's wrong with "Move" instead of "Copy" as u suggest? Just curious
> understand that.
> Tx,
> Gerry Cornell wrote:
>> Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not
>> move )
>> the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the
>> files
>> in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
>> Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
>> change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
>> use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight
>> Documents,
>> click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
>> General and change default file path.
>>
>> For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
>> Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.
>>
>> To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
>> Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
>>

>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Gerry,
>>> Have done the Disk CleanUp Option, etc.
>>> What is the best way to move the My Documents, Temporary Internet
>>> Files and
>>> Outlook
>>> Express store folders to the other drive?
>>> Just drag and drop in Windows Explorer...or other?
>>> What is the location of the Temporary Internet Files?
>>> Tx,

February 2, 2005 10:26:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Got it. Tx.