Gaming hardware

D

Deleted member 3023

3 questions.

As far as mice go, Optical or laser? I'm leaning towards the MX518, but have heard about the new laser mice & was just wondering if others have an opinion on these.

Now about gamepads. Are any cordless pads really good. I've been looking at the Saitek P2600, P2900 & P3000. The Logitech Rumblepad 2 Vibration Feedback, Cordless Rumblepad 2 & ChillStream. And the Nyko AirFlo.

Any other recommendations?

Oh, & if this helps; I play a little Madden, racing games sometimes, & mostly FPS games (DOOM, Serious Sam & Unreal).

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Logitech have awesome input devices. I have their Cordless MX Laser mouse with a rechargable base - convienient as I can slot the mouse back into its charger overnight and not worry about the batteries. I went from a MouseMan Optical to Laser and it is far more accurate. Also the SetPoint Software is pretty good allowing you to customize the mouse to only give acceleration in games and keep the precision during Windows Applications. The programmable buttons are also a great help. I also use their Logitech Media Key Elite Keyboard which is incredibly comfortable to type on - nice wide keys, plenty of shortcut keys, and the F locks leave 4 "blank" keys which enable you to program your own functions into them. The nice touch as well is the way the Locks, Function keys and Media keys all show visual warnings in green writing much like on TV. Keyboard is kept corded so I don't have the problem of low batteries when trying to finish my last minute essay lol. I mention the keyboard as it is a perfect partner to the MX Laser mouse and should be used when playing any FPS games!! You can't recharge keyboard batteries so easily so rather than be burdened with having to change the batteries half way through a death match, play it safe and stick to a corded keyboard and save yourself some money!

Personally I have had bad experiences with Cordless Gamepads, especially the cheaper ones, so I'll start by saying stick to a known brand like Logitech, Microsoft and Saitek if you really must dabble with cordless gamepads. Logitech have some good controllers which emulate the popular PS2 controller. I have heard positive things about Saitek although never really dabbled with their products so can't comment too widely. If you can, go to a local store where each of these controllers are on display as "dummy models" and hold each one, pressing the buttons frantically or gently as if you were playing a game. That way if you get torn between the two products (which is likely considering the choice of gamepads out there) use the comfort of each on as the tie breaker! One may look incredible on the outside but could give you a wristache within two minutes of playing, thus being the one to avoid.

Or if you have PS2 and a spare controller consider getting an adapter from play.com so you can plug the controller into the USB port.

Even better would be if you have an Xbox 360 and a spare controller. Microsoft have developed a "Games for Windows" badge that is stuck on games released across PC and Xbox 360 platforms, part of their campaign to bridge the gap between consoles and PCs. Even their new Live service will enable Xbox 360 players in certain games to challenge PCs and vice versa on PC. This also means that the PC version of these games will automatically work with Xbox 360 controllers so long as you have the adapter to plug it into a spare USB port. It should also be backward compatible with all your previous games that you currently play.

As for FPS, stick to the good old keyboard and mouse - controllers are far too slow and unresponsive - that's what gives PC gamers the edge over Xbox 360 gamers!! :twisted:

Hope this helps you with your choice. Its the amount of choice and the lack of spare console controllers which have kept me to keyboard and mouse all these years!! :lol: