motherboard won't boot now

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I had a working computer and everything was going fine until I updated the BIOS. I used the @BIOS utility to update from the internet. It installed the F9 BIOS (I think it was F9) and said to restart. So I did. Now it won't boot up, the monitor just has the orange light (which means not on) and the hd light stays on.

My motherboard is a gigabyte DS3.

Whoops....did you try resetting or clearing the bios?
If that doesn't work, you don't have much recourse but to contact your motherboard manufacturer and order a new bios chip for your board.
They only cost a few bucks, but if you messed up your current bios chip, that is all you can do.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
There will be a jumper block usually labelled CLRCMOS or CLR or CC near the BIOS backup battery.

Assuming it is a jumper block it will likely have 3 pins with 2 connected with a jumper. It will likely have pins 1 and 2 connected. Change this to 2 and 3 with the power off for at least 10 seconds. Try a restart after putting the jumper back to pins 1 and 2.

If that doesnt work then sometimes removing the BIOS backup battery at the same time works.

If that does not clear CMOS then try to repeat those steps in a fridge (extreme - but worked on a really recalcitrant CMOS).

If it still does not boot then I'm sorry to say that it sounds like a glitched BIOS.

Good luck

Q

Check your manual. There should be 3 pins on you board named something like J1, J2, J3.
They will have a jumper over 2 of them, like J1 and J2.
This is the normal "on" or "run" position.
Remove the jumper and place it over J2 and J3 for a few seconds, then put it back to original J1 and J2. This will clear all settings in BIOS and reset to everything to default. If you PC boots, you will have to go into your BIOS and reset everything for all your components.
Keep in mind I am just using J1, J2 and J3 as reference, the actual pins will probably be named something different on your board.

This is kind of tough lesson. You should not ever reflash a BIOS unless you are having issues, and the new BIOS you are updating to is written to specifically address the issue you are having. Other than that, updating a BIOS is really pointless, and any slight mess-up during the process leaves you with a dead motherboard.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Addendum

Bear in mind that on some boards the default position is 2-3 and you clear by shorting 1-2.

You need to check your Motherboard manual fro the correct setting.

Another point

Just in case you have done this already - if you forgot to put the jumper back to default position sometimes it will not boot if in 'clear' position

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
well, my motherboard manual says that it only has 2 pins to avoid misuse of the jumper. It says to just short the 2 pins on the motherboard to clear the CMOS. I tried that but it didn't work, I also tried it without the batter, and I tried it outside (which is practically a freezer) and that didn't work. Should I just ask gigabyte for a new bios chip? Will they supply one for free since it should be under warranty?

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
another question: how do I know if it's a problem with the motherboard? I had this exact same problem last time when I broke my cpu. How do I know that it's not my cpu that's broken?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
another question: how do I know if it's a problem with the motherboard? I had this exact same problem last time when I broke my cpu. How do I know that it's not my cpu that's broken?

Because the last thing you did was to flash the BIOS using a method not supported by the manufacturer. You lobotomized your motherboard, dude.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
To clear your CMOS properly you must disconnect the power from your tower, remove the onboard battery and then finally short your jumper for 30 seconds. Reverse the procedure afterwards.

You motherboard has two BIOSes (plural of BIOS? chuff knows) so read the manual how to revert back if you're having trouble.

I know many people also have things against auto updating your BIOS but it's always worked fine for me...maybe next time do it the old fashioned way with a floppy. Failing that as Publisher said, unless there's a reason, dont flash. I'm still on F7 and happy since I have no problems...what do I have to gain by updating? Not a lot...but a lot to lose if it fails.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Did you go back into the new bios and reset your old settings. If the boot order is wrong that's the problem, or if you haven't set the right IDE vs RAID option (if you have a sata + ide controller all in one)...

Jo

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Did you go back into the new bios and reset your old settings. If the boot order is wrong that's the problem, or if you haven't set the right IDE vs RAID option (if you have a sata + ide controller all in one)...

Jo

Doing this would only apply if he could see his screen after powering up!

kardelen

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I have a very similar problem;

My motherboard is GA-K8N. For some time I was having a "freezing" problem; all of a sudden my computer froze and on reboot displayed a "CMOS checksum error". I was told to clear CMOS and update BIOS, and I did so. Now my PC don't boot, even it doesn't turn off(power is on -I guess- because fans are working) or reset when I press the relative buttons.

What I want to learn is whether freezing problem and fallowing boot problem may be a result of broken BIOS chip or not?