INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen

6 months old w2k server, mirrored scsi. Customer told that this fileserver
was slow past couple days. After Antivirus SW upgrade he had to reboot the
server resulting blue screen with errorcode 0x0000007B. This happens in the
very early boot phase (intiliazing devices?).

Recovery console or the others F8 choises are not working. I will test
tomorrow if it is possible to press F6 during w2k server CD boot and install
SCSI frvers from floppy disk. Then it might be possible to repair Windos from
Installation CD.

Custmer told that he had systemstate backup on the tape and I suppose also
Shared data.

Any ideas how to fix the problem if w2k Installation CD / F6 / load scsi
driver from floppy / repair current installation doesn't work? Actually
currently I have only Smart array controller driver on the floppy. I
understanded from the manufactorers webpages that this what I need after F6.

Furthermore, if I manage to start windows via F6 any other ideas what to do
to fix the problem?
Any other ideas what to do, e.g. reinstall w2k server?

You might try loading the controller driver from floppy. For the floppy to
successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector.
Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT"
boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and
boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the
machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows will load a boot
device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then also
copy the correct manufacturer raid controller driver to the floppy but
renamed to ntbootdd.sys

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
|6 months old w2k server, mirrored scsi. Customer told that this fileserver
| was slow past couple days. After Antivirus SW upgrade he had to reboot the
| server resulting blue screen with errorcode 0x0000007B. This happens in
the
| very early boot phase (intiliazing devices?).
|
| Recovery console or the others F8 choises are not working. I will test
| tomorrow if it is possible to press F6 during w2k server CD boot and
install
| SCSI frvers from floppy disk. Then it might be possible to repair Windos
from
| Installation CD.
|
| Custmer told that he had systemstate backup on the tape and I suppose also
| Shared data.
|
| Any ideas how to fix the problem if w2k Installation CD / F6 / load scsi
| driver from floppy / repair current installation doesn't work? Actually
| currently I have only Smart array controller driver on the floppy. I
| understanded from the manufactorers webpages that this what I need after
F6.

| Furthermore, if I manage to start windows via F6 any other ideas what to
do
| to fix the problem?
| Any other ideas what to do, e.g. reinstall w2k server?

Thank yoy Dave

Does your procedure mean that I don't use F6 but rather try to boot from
floppy?

Juha

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You might try loading the controller driver from floppy. For the floppy to
> successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector.
> Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT"
> boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and
> boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the
> machine you wish to boot.
>
> In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
> from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows will load a boot
> device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then also
> copy the correct manufacturer raid controller driver to the floppy but
> renamed to ntbootdd.sys
>

> Something like this below;
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=10
> default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
> [operating systems]
> scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
> scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
> scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
> scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> |6 months old w2k server, mirrored scsi. Customer told that this fileserver
> | was slow past couple days. After Antivirus SW upgrade he had to reboot the
> | server resulting blue screen with errorcode 0x0000007B. This happens in
> the
> | very early boot phase (intiliazing devices?).
> |
> | Recovery console or the others F8 choises are not working. I will test
> | tomorrow if it is possible to press F6 during w2k server CD boot and
> install
> | SCSI frvers from floppy disk. Then it might be possible to repair Windos
> from
> | Installation CD.
> |
> | Custmer told that he had systemstate backup on the tape and I suppose also
> | Shared data.
> |
> | Any ideas how to fix the problem if w2k Installation CD / F6 / load scsi
> | driver from floppy / repair current installation doesn't work? Actually
> | currently I have only Smart array controller driver on the floppy. I
> | understanded from the manufactorers webpages that this what I need after
> F6.
> |
> | Furthermore, if I manage to start windows via F6 any other ideas what to
> do
> | to fix the problem?
> | Any other ideas what to do, e.g. reinstall w2k server?

Question #2.
Any idea which is actual driver. Here is the extracted manufacters driver
file list:

Directory of A:\

08.04.2005 18:25 34ÿ664 cp005183.xml
16.04.2003 18:47 253ÿ952 cpqciss.dll
28.03.2005 18:31 8ÿ908 cpqcisse.cat
11.03.2005 18:07 4ÿ048 cpqcisse.inf
11.03.2005 18:07 56ÿ576 cpqcisse.sys
28.03.2005 18:31 8ÿ908 cpqcissm.cat
11.02.2005 19:36 7ÿ154 cpqcissm.inf
11.02.2005 19:36 16ÿ512 cpqcissm.sys
16.07.2004 18:32 143ÿ360 cpqsetup.exe
11.03.2005 18:07 346ÿ112 Event Log Codes for Cpqcisse.doc
04.12.2000 21:25 176 install.xml
05.03.2001 20:55 2ÿ902 Readme.txt
11.02.2005 19:36 1ÿ530 txtsetup.oem
14 File(s) 884ÿ802 bytes
0 Dir(s) 569ÿ856 bytes free

P.S. In the readme.txt is the instructions how to load driver after F6
pressing.

Juha

Try the *.sys

--

"Juha" wrote:
| Question #2.
| Any idea which is actual driver. Here is the extracted manufacters driver
| file list:
|
| Directory of A:\
|
| 08.04.2005 18:25 34ÿ664 cp005183.xml
| 16.04.2003 18:47 253ÿ952 cpqciss.dll
| 28.03.2005 18:31 8ÿ908 cpqcisse.cat
| 11.03.2005 18:07 4ÿ048 cpqcisse.inf
| 11.03.2005 18:07 56ÿ576 cpqcisse.sys
| 28.03.2005 18:31 8ÿ908 cpqcissm.cat
| 11.02.2005 19:36 7ÿ154 cpqcissm.inf
| 11.02.2005 19:36 16ÿ512 cpqcissm.sys
| 16.07.2004 18:32 143ÿ360 cpqsetup.exe
| 11.03.2005 18:07 346ÿ112 Event Log Codes for Cpqcisse.doc
| 04.12.2000 21:25 176 install.xml
| 05.03.2001 20:55 2ÿ902 Readme.txt
| 11.02.2005 19:36 1ÿ530 txtsetup.oem
| 14 File(s) 884ÿ802 bytes
| 0 Dir(s) 569ÿ856 bytes free
|
| P.S. In the readme.txt is the instructions how to load driver after F6
| pressing.
|
| Juha

Yes

--

"Juha" wrote:
| Thank yoy Dave
|
| Does your procedure mean that I don't use F6 but rather try to boot from
| floppy?
|
| Juha

Thanks Dave

Problem partly solved. Pressing F6 during w2k server CD boot (Smart array
controller drivers) helped me into command prompt. I run chkdsk /r from there
and the system booted up. Unfortunately after second bootup the system
changed every files (apx 160 000 pcs) permisiions to defaults(?). Right now
I'm having hard time making sence what they should be in this system. After
quick look they seems to be two users System and administrator: no
permissions selected and no other usernames there. This is true specially in
the shared directories.

New problen now is memory dump during shutdown, error
Driver_Power_State_Failure. 0x0000009F.

Juha

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try the *.sys
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Juha" wrote:
> | Question #2.
> | Any idea which is actual driver. Here is the extracted manufacters driver
> | file list:
> |
> | Directory of A:\
> |
> | 08.04.2005 18:25 34ÿ664 cp005183.xml
> | 16.04.2003 18:47 253ÿ952 cpqciss.dll
> | 28.03.2005 18:31 8ÿ908 cpqcisse.cat
> | 11.03.2005 18:07 4ÿ048 cpqcisse.inf
> | 11.03.2005 18:07 56ÿ576 cpqcisse.sys
> | 28.03.2005 18:31 8ÿ908 cpqcissm.cat
> | 11.02.2005 19:36 7ÿ154 cpqcissm.inf
> | 11.02.2005 19:36 16ÿ512 cpqcissm.sys
> | 16.07.2004 18:32 143ÿ360 cpqsetup.exe
> | 11.03.2005 18:07 346ÿ112 Event Log Codes for Cpqcisse.doc
> | 04.12.2000 21:25 176 install.xml
> | 05.03.2001 20:55 2ÿ902 Readme.txt
> | 11.02.2005 19:36 1ÿ530 txtsetup.oem
> | 14 File(s) 884ÿ802 bytes
> | 0 Dir(s) 569ÿ856 bytes free
> |
> | P.S. In the readme.txt is the instructions how to load driver after F6
> | pressing.
> |
> | Juha

This article may help though not for the shares. It's difficult to say what
happened initially but looks like time to rebuild. I'm wondering if a drive
is failing. Possibly one half the mirror got kicked offline and was put back
online without a rebuild. You might download a disk diagnostic utility from
the drive manufacturer's web site.

How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

--

"Juha" wrote:
| Thanks Dave
|
| Problem partly solved. Pressing F6 during w2k server CD boot (Smart array
| controller drivers) helped me into command prompt. I run chkdsk /r from
there
| and the system booted up. Unfortunately after second bootup the system
| changed every files (apx 160 000 pcs) permisiions to defaults(?). Right
now
| I'm having hard time making sence what they should be in this system.
After
| quick look they seems to be two users System and administrator: no
| permissions selected and no other usernames there. This is true specially
in
| the shared directories.
|
| New problen now is memory dump during shutdown, error
| Driver_Power_State_Failure. 0x0000009F.
|
| Juha

Thank you again Dave!

This is something I will defenately try. Procedure looked quite easy. As I
told, I first hacked permissions for shares and was pretty unpleased when
noticed after boot that all permissions in shares has changed. Hope that your
procedure does something for shares also.

Juha

Found from manufactors website possible fix for
Driver_Power_State_Failureproblem.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> This article may help though not for the shares. It's difficult to say what
> happened initially but looks like time to rebuild. I'm wondering if a drive
> is failing. Possibly one half the mirror got kicked offline and was put back
> online without a rebuild. You might download a disk diagnostic utility from
> the drive manufacturer's web site.
>
> How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Juha" wrote:
> | Thanks Dave
> |
> | Problem partly solved. Pressing F6 during w2k server CD boot (Smart array
> | controller drivers) helped me into command prompt. I run chkdsk /r from
> there
> | and the system booted up. Unfortunately after second bootup the system
> | changed every files (apx 160 000 pcs) permisiions to defaults(?). Right
> now
> | I'm having hard time making sence what they should be in this system.
> After
> | quick look they seems to be two users System and administrator: no
> | permissions selected and no other usernames there. This is true specially
> in
> | the shared directories.
> |
> | New problen now is memory dump during shutdown, error
> | Driver_Power_State_Failure. 0x0000009F.
> |
> | Juha

Hope you get something going.

--

"Juha" wrote:
| Thank you again Dave!
|
| This is something I will defenately try. Procedure looked quite easy. As I
| told, I first hacked permissions for shares and was pretty unpleased when
| noticed after boot that all permissions in shares has changed. Hope that
your
| procedure does something for shares also.
|
| Juha
|
| Found from manufactors website possible fix for
| Driver_Power_State_Failureproblem.

HI

The procedure wasn't successfull. after every boot the server run chkdsk
which chanced permissions to nonsense. We decided ti reinstall everything.
Good practice to me. I still have a question in the other topics, relating WS
rejoing to the new domain (it is still named as previously).