preformance

I have a friend with a 2GHz Celeron, 512 MB ram and a GeForce 4 mx 420
graphicscard.
The computer is running WindowsXP
NWN is running very slow under this. The graphics settings for the game
are what the game sugested after install.
Is his computer just acting up, or does it have too little power to run
the game properly?
17 answers Last reply
More about preformance

    Christian buhrkall <darkwing@hco.kollegienet.dk> looked up from reading
    the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    signs say:

    >I have a friend with a 2GHz Celeron, 512 MB ram and a GeForce 4 mx 420
    >graphicscard.
    >The computer is running WindowsXP
    >NWN is running very slow under this. The graphics settings for the game
    >are what the game sugested after install.
    >Is his computer just acting up, or does it have too little power to run
    >the game properly?

    His computer has plenty of power and plenty of RAM, but a real dog of a
    video card.

    A GeForce 4mx is nothing but a GeForce 2mx with a faster memory
    subsystem, it's a worse card than a GeForce 3.

    Xocyll

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    > Christian buhrkall <darkwing@hco.kollegienet.dk> looked up from reading
    > the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    > signs say:
    >
    > >I have a friend with a 2GHz Celeron, 512 MB ram and a GeForce 4 mx 420
    > >graphicscard.
    > >The computer is running WindowsXP
    > >NWN is running very slow under this. The graphics settings for the game
    > >are what the game sugested after install.
    > >Is his computer just acting up, or does it have too little power to run
    > >the game properly?
    >
    > His computer has plenty of power and plenty of RAM, but a real dog of a
    > video card.
    >
    > A GeForce 4mx is nothing but a GeForce 2mx with a faster memory
    > subsystem, it's a worse card than a GeForce 3.

    I used to run on a 1.6 GHz athalon with a Geforce 4 card, and video
    performance wasnt an issue.
    I did get a bit of lagging in some cities, but that was hard disk acivity.

    Xocyll wrote:

    > His computer has plenty of power and plenty of RAM, but a real dog of a
    > video card.
    >
    > A GeForce 4mx is nothing but a GeForce 2mx with a faster memory
    > subsystem, it's a worse card than a GeForce 3.

    Not as good as a GeForce 3 != dog of a video card, though. A GeForce 4mx
    should be more than sufficient for NWN.

    --
    Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
    Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

    True it should be fast enough, given your other system specs. Perhaps you
    have some Tweaked/Forced AA settings enabled outside of NWN?

    > Not as good as a GeForce 3 != dog of a video card, though. A GeForce 4mx
    > should be more than sufficient for NWN.
    >
    > --
    > Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
    > Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
    > AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
    > -- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Christian buhrkall" <darkwing@hco.kollegienet.dk> wrote in message
    > I have a friend with a 2GHz Celeron, 512 MB ram and a GeForce 4 mx 420
    > graphicscard.
    > The computer is running WindowsXP
    > NWN is running very slow under this. The graphics settings for the game
    > are what the game sugested after install.
    > Is his computer just acting up, or does it have too little power to run
    > the game properly?

    My wife has less cpu power (P3 750Mhz !!) but more RAM (768Mb)
    Video card is GeForce 4 MX440, thus a tad better.

    There was some lag in game.
    I downloaded the latest Forceware drivers from Nvidia, and it's a lot better.

    Turn down all video features and increase them one by one, until you get a
    comfortable bargain.
    Try different resolutions too.

    Additionally, if you're the tweaking kind, you could stop some useless junk
    services of Windows XP.

    I hope this basic advice helps :)

    --
    Hiddenson
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger."

    Hiddenson wrote:
    > "Christian buhrkall" <darkwing@hco.kollegienet.dk> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a friend with a 2GHz Celeron, 512 MB ram and a GeForce 4 mx 420
    >>graphicscard.
    >>The computer is running WindowsXP
    >>NWN is running very slow under this. The graphics settings for the game
    >>are what the game sugested after install.
    >>Is his computer just acting up, or does it have too little power to run
    >>the game properly?
    >

    > My wife has less cpu power (P3 750Mhz !!) but more RAM (768Mb)
    > Video card is GeForce 4 MX440, thus a tad better.
    >
    > There was some lag in game.
    > I downloaded the latest Forceware drivers from Nvidia, and it's a lot better.
    >
    > Turn down all video features and increase them one by one, until you get a
    > comfortable bargain.
    > Try different resolutions too.
    >
    > Additionally, if you're the tweaking kind, you could stop some useless junk
    > services of Windows XP.
    >
    > I hope this basic advice helps :)

    he is running the latest extention pack, hordes of the underdark. Do you
    have exp running that on her computer?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Hiddenson" <hfhurtado@nospam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Christian buhrkall" <darkwing@hco.kollegienet.dk> wrote in message
    > > I have a friend with a 2GHz Celeron, 512 MB ram and a GeForce 4 mx 420
    > > graphicscard.
    > > The computer is running WindowsXP
    > > NWN is running very slow under this. The graphics settings for the game
    > > are what the game sugested after install.
    > > Is his computer just acting up, or does it have too little power to run
    > > the game properly?
    >
    > My wife has less cpu power (P3 750Mhz !!) but more RAM (768Mb)
    > Video card is GeForce 4 MX440, thus a tad better.
    >
    > There was some lag in game.
    > I downloaded the latest Forceware drivers from Nvidia, and it's a lot
    better.

    > Turn down all video features and increase them one by one, until you get a
    > comfortable bargain.
    > Try different resolutions too.
    >
    > Additionally, if you're the tweaking kind, you could stop some useless
    junk
    > services of Windows XP.
    >
    > I hope this basic advice helps :)
    >
    > --
    > Hiddenson
    > "That which does not kill you makes you stronger."
    > www.e-quinox.org
    > The ColdScript System, v1.4:
    > http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1059207644523.shtml

    I would also add to Hiddenson's suggestions that you need to make sure you
    run a Defrag. on your Hard Drive, also do a google search for Windows XP
    tweaks Ive found quite a few that walk you through step by step on turning
    off alot of the XP services that you don't need as well as other performance
    tweaks. Also, in addition to video settings, make sure you have the correct
    audio settings as well, if you are running a soundcard that uses EAX try
    turning it off I have found on some systems that the EAX can be a real DOG!
    with resource hungry games, i.e. NWN, I know it won't sound as cool, but you
    won't miss much, IMHO
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

    > His computer has plenty of power and plenty of RAM, but a real dog of a
    > video card.

    And a real dog of a processor. Celeron is extremely good for MS Word and
    similar programs, but when it comes to games...

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
    >
    >> His computer has plenty of power and plenty of RAM, but a real dog of a
    >> video card.
    >
    >And a real dog of a processor. Celeron is extremely good for MS Word and
    >similar programs, but when it comes to games...

    Well I figured that the fact that it was a 2 GHz version probably made
    up for it being a less than stellar processor.

    MX cards on the other hand, especially if AA or AF is enabled are really
    going to be a weak spot.

    Xocyll
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > > I hope this basic advice helps :)
    > >
    > he is running the latest extention pack, hordes of the underdark. Do you
    > have exp running that on her computer?

    Yes. Of course, I disabled sky boxes on her machine :)

    --
    Hiddenson
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger."
    www.e-quinox.org
    The ColdScript System, v1.4:
    http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1059207644523.shtml
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "QUINN R PAYNE" <quinnpayne@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I would also add to Hiddenson's suggestions that you need to make sure you
    > run a Defrag. on your Hard Drive, also do a google search for Windows XP
    > tweaks Ive found quite a few that walk you through step by step on turning
    > off alot of the XP services that you don't need as well as other performance
    > tweaks. Also, in addition to video settings, make sure you have the correct
    > audio settings as well, if you are running a soundcard that uses EAX try
    > turning it off I have found on some systems that the EAX can be a real DOG!
    > with resource hungry games, i.e. NWN, I know it won't sound as cool, but you
    > won't miss much, IMHO

    Of course, run a Disk Clean Up, a Defrag...

    I just don't know how techie the original poster is, so I didn't want to get too
    technical.

    Among the junk services, there's a wireless one that you naturally do not need
    if you own nothing wi-fi.
    Task scheduler may be stopped if nothing on your box uses it.

    Another very basic tip (but that almost no one knows about) is to get rid of all
    your desktop icons.
    WinXP has this option, just uncheck "show desktop icons" by right-clicking on
    desktop.

    QUINN is right about EAX. On my wife's machine, I have it turned off. Actually,
    I have all game sound turned off because we play in multiplayer and my box is
    next to hers... no use to have two sounds and two musics, my surround system is
    more than enough for our team :)

    There are many other little tweaks, but I digress. The Google search will let
    anyone get started.

    Cheers,

    --
    Hiddenson
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger."
    www.e-quinox.org
    The ColdScript System, v1.4:
    http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1059207644523.shtml
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
    > Xocyll wrote:
    >
    >>>I'm not aware of any integrated graphics chips that don't use system
    >>>ram.
    >>
    >>I'm not aware of any myself, but that doesn't mean no company has made
    >>one.
    >

    > I do consider it a strong indication.
    >
    > I am a bit irritated with the move to integrated graphics on machines as
    > opposed to simply including a video card, however.

    It's a lot cheaper. Cheaper mainboards, cheaper labor putting the system
    together, cheaper labor burn-testing the systems and making sure you
    have everything installed correctly. Marginally cheaper, true, but the
    margins in PC hardware are extremely thin, so anything that provides a
    bit more profit is helpful.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will wrote:

    > Julie d'Aubigny wrote:

    > >>I'm not aware of any myself, but that doesn't mean no company has made
    > >>one.
    > >

    > > I do consider it a strong indication.
    > >
    > > I am a bit irritated with the move to integrated graphics on machines as
    > > opposed to simply including a video card, however.
    >
    > It's a lot cheaper. Cheaper mainboards, cheaper labor putting the system
    > together, cheaper labor burn-testing the systems and making sure you
    > have everything installed correctly. Marginally cheaper, true, but the
    > margins in PC hardware are extremely thin, so anything that provides a
    > bit more profit is helpful.

    Helpful to whom?

    Not to me, I think, as I'd rather buy a system with a Radeon or GeForce
    in the AGP slot than a system with an integrated graphics processor that
    shares system RAM.

    --
    Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
    Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
    AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
    -- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
    > Barry Scott Will wrote:
    >>It's a lot cheaper. Cheaper mainboards, cheaper labor putting the system
    >>together, cheaper labor burn-testing the systems and making sure you
    >>have everything installed correctly. Marginally cheaper, true, but the
    >>margins in PC hardware are extremely thin, so anything that provides a
    >>bit more profit is helpful.
    >
    > Helpful to whom?

    Err...the OEMs, obviously.

    > Not to me, I think, as I'd rather buy a system with a Radeon or GeForce
    > in the AGP slot than a system with an integrated graphics processor that
    > shares system RAM.

    Yes, but, really, you are in the minority. (Well, probably the majority
    participating in this newsgroup, but we're kind of self-selecting since
    only geeks use Usenet. :)

    A large majority of computer-buyers from the traditional OEMs (Dell,
    Gateway, HP, maybe not Sony) just want a PC that does word processing,
    email, Internet and plays their illegally-downloaded mp3s. Maybe they
    also want to do some photo/video capture/storage/editing. They're not
    that interested in lots of games. The hardcore-gamer community (the ones
    most interested in using state-of-the-art video cards) usually buy from
    less-traditional sources (e.g. Alienware) or, like me, roll our own.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications
    http://www.pyric.com/

    If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> looked up from reading
    the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    signs say:
    <snip>
    >The hardcore-gamer community (the ones
    >most interested in using state-of-the-art video cards) usually buy from
    >less-traditional sources (e.g. Alienware) or, like me, roll our own.

    Maybe i've just seen and read too much about case modding, but that last
    line gave me the mental image of a computer case modded to look like a
    giant joint.

    Xocyll
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will wrote:

    > Julie d'Aubigny wrote:
    > > Barry Scott Will wrote:
    > >>It's a lot cheaper. Cheaper mainboards, cheaper labor putting the system
    > >>together, cheaper labor burn-testing the systems and making sure you
    > >>have everything installed correctly. Marginally cheaper, true, but the
    > >>margins in PC hardware are extremely thin, so anything that provides a
    > >>bit more profit is helpful.
    > >
    > > Helpful to whom?
    >
    > Err...the OEMs, obviously.

    Oh, I realize that. I was being...there's a word for asking a question
    to which you no the answer but think the answer is pants, isn't there?
    :)

    > > Not to me, I think, as I'd rather buy a system with a Radeon or GeForce
    > > in the AGP slot than a system with an integrated graphics processor that
    > > shares system RAM.
    >
    > Yes, but, really, you are in the minority. (Well, probably the majority
    > participating in this newsgroup, but we're kind of self-selecting since
    > only geeks use Usenet. :)

    I realize that, too. :)

    > A large majority of computer-buyers from the traditional OEMs (Dell,
    > Gateway, HP, maybe not Sony) just want a PC that does word processing,
    > email, Internet and plays their illegally-downloaded mp3s. Maybe they
    > also want to do some photo/video capture/storage/editing. They're not
    > that interested in lots of games. The hardcore-gamer community (the ones
    > most interested in using state-of-the-art video cards) usually buy from
    > less-traditional sources (e.g. Alienware) or, like me, roll our own.

    Good point.

    I *usually* make my own, or have someone make it for me (done both), but
    this time around I had neither the time nor the inclination to go that
    way, and buying the machine was cheaper than having it built.

    Depending on where gaming goes, my next may be an Alienware.

    --
    Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
    Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
    AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
    -- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Julie d'Aubigny" <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > A large majority of computer-buyers from the traditional OEMs (Dell,
    > > Gateway, HP, maybe not Sony) just want a PC that does word processing,
    > > email, Internet and plays their illegally-downloaded mp3s. Maybe they
    > > also want to do some photo/video capture/storage/editing. They're not
    > > that interested in lots of games. The hardcore-gamer community (the ones
    > > most interested in using state-of-the-art video cards) usually buy from
    > > less-traditional sources (e.g. Alienware) or, like me, roll our own.
    >
    > Good point.
    >
    > I *usually* make my own, or have someone make it for me (done both), but
    > this time around I had neither the time nor the inclination to go that
    > way, and buying the machine was cheaper than having it built.
    >
    > Depending on where gaming goes, my next may be an Alienware.

    I think it might be fairer to say that the majority buy their first computer
    from the traditional PC manufacturers because they have no idea of what they
    want, and it's only after having bought an overpriced PC & then spent a
    fortune gertting it to actually do anything at all that they then decide to
    upgrade/build themselves.

    Certainly the DIY PC is on the increase in my neck of the woods - once a
    month there's a computer fair locally where you can buy all sorts of
    hardware & softrware cheap, and every month it's getting busier.

    MB

Computers Games Video Games