Sign in with
Your question

Help with Bridging internet between two buildings WinXP

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 18, 2006 4:59:21 PM

I own a few different Linksys routers, and have different applications for each. I frequently go to LAN parties. Recently, the location of the LAN parties has changed, and as such, there is no internet access. I need to create some sort of bridge which I can use as a means to provide internet access to the gamers in the parties. Is there a way to create a bridge of connections to provide internet to other players using the following items?

Items readily available:
-Two Linksys BEF11S4 Wireless B Routers
-One Linksys WRT54GC Compact Wireless B/G Router
-Bulk Cat5e cable, with connectors and tools to make cable
-One Wireless-Capable Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop
-One D-Link DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter
-25ft USB Male(A)-Female(A) Cable

Note: I already have a pretty broad understanding of networking, as I have taken part of the CISCO certification.

I know that the connection I bridge has to be wireless, as the distance is over a lawn, and is greater than 300ft(Cat5e max). So essentially, I want to connect to the wireless coming out of the router(one's already working there), and bridge that using Windows on the laptop with the ethernet0 traffic. I can set the bridge, and ping the other traffic on the network. Only internet traffic needs to be sent out over the wireless. There are no other computers which need to be connected to the ones in the LAN party.

Questions:

Do the bridged connections need to have traffic on different subnets?

Can I connect to the internet over the bridge itself?

How would I set the network on the router? Would I have to plug the internet port on the router go into the laptop and then out to the switches?
July 18, 2006 5:36:24 PM

Setting up bridges are not hard. Most AP have bridge functions. Require 2, 1 for each end. If you are planning on playing games over it, it will not work, due to lags and very limited band width. You will need to have 2 out side beam antennas connected to the bridges. Here is a link that has the needed equipment http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/24ghz_amplifiers.php

The leads from the bridge to the antenna needs to be less the 9 ft.

I would look at running a FOI connection between the buildings. Then you want have all of the lag and trouble with the wireless.
July 18, 2006 5:40:41 PM

I actually have a pretty strong connection between the PC and the wireless. I've tried setting the wireless routers as bridges, and they don;t have the capability...

I just need to find out how to route internet traffic on one network over the network bridge setup by WinXP and out over the network.

Maybe a linux livecd would work...
Related resources
July 18, 2006 5:51:37 PM

The only bridge I know that MS has is a adhoc which is a multipoint bridge. You maybe able to share a connect if you can get the wireless setup between windows. But if you think you have the bandwidth to play games, you need to do some serous reading. There are post after post with users complaining about lag. Ad the distance get further other timing problems with the tcp/ip protocol start showing up.

In any case you will need 2 antennas, 2 AP that support bridiging, at a minimum. You may even need to add some amps, if your antenna gain is to low, to boost the signal.

Good luck, you will need it.
July 18, 2006 7:13:42 PM

I don't want to send game traffic over the wireless bridge. I just need to be able to access the internet... for things like IM and port 80 traffic.

Is there a linux live cd distro which would allow me to route traffic over the computer to other things..?

A diagram of how the traffic will be routed:

Internet Modem
-------------------
Router A (Wireless)
------------------- <---802.11G connection
WinXP PC
------------------- <---Ethernet Cat5e
Switch
-------------------
Other computers
July 18, 2006 8:08:58 PM

That is do able but you will need some antennas to reach the other building. You may be able to build a reflector to install over your antenna to boost the signal. But you will require line of site. and wireless hardware located at the building face. Any length of coax will create power loss.
Free Antennas has patterns for building antennas. It will be a try and error attempt with out high quality antennas.
July 20, 2006 5:04:50 PM

I actually have enough strangth to access the internet from it. I just need to actually bridge the two different networks.

I can get the network somewhat connected, but I can't get them to ping eachother...
July 20, 2006 5:29:23 PM

I asume you have the pc's set to respond to ping.

I don't think it's posiable with out using 2 bridges to tie them together.

Since you have a wireless conection between the buildings, you may try MS internet sharing, for the pc's in the remote building.
July 20, 2006 7:13:38 PM

I was about to tell you to flash both routers with DD-WRT to add bridging capabilities to them, but DD-WRT is not compatible.

See if you can find two WRT54G ver 1-4s, flash them, then bridge them together wirelessly.
July 21, 2006 1:27:40 AM

Are they cheap? I just need something cheap, and easy to get my hands on. I'm a little low on cash right now, and a little far-out of places that may sell these things...
July 25, 2006 12:32:02 AM

Let me see if understand this. In building A, you have an Internet connection with a wireless router. In building B, you have a laptop that can connect to the wireless router in building A and is able to surf the Internet. Correct?

That's all you need. First, I'd try enabling Internet Connection Sharing on the wireless adapter. If that doesn't work, you might be able to do it with Knoppix or some other live CD. The important part is finding a CD that supports your wireless chipset. What you want to do is create a bridge like so:

[code:1:80350bc8a3]brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 wlan0
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig br0 192.168.100.200 up[/code:1:80350bc8a3]

I used that code under Debian to create a software access point and it worked great. Just realize that you'll need to get your card associated with the wireless network first, before you bridge it with eth0. Once you've done that, plug your ethernet from the laptop into a switch and any other computers on the switch should be able to get online.

Just a note, you could also do this with a normal bridge. You'd just put the bridge in building B and plug it into the switch. You'd need to associate it with the wireless network from building A. Typically routers that can also function as bridges don't support this, you need a real bridge. Try something like a Linksys WET11 (I can't vouch for it personally, but they're cheap).
August 2, 2006 6:41:47 PM

Well he's right, you do want to bridge. You just wouldn't use ICS if you want to use a PC to create the bridge. Bridging is built into XP. Right click both interfaces and click bridge. That's it.

Having said that, it is a poor choice. Buy a dedicated bridge. Preferably WDS capable if your router/AP supports WDS.
!