Connecting two PCs w/o Internet access

I am looking for RELIABLE instructions for connecting two PC running
WINDOWS-2000.

The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a cable.

The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
access to the Internet is required.

Thank you.
9 answers Last reply
More about connecting internet access

    It sounds like you already have a peer-to-peer connection. What other features
    are you looking for?

    "Snarky Parker" wrote:

    > It sounds like you already have a peer-to-peer connection. What other features
    are you looking for?

    I DO NOT have a peer-to-peer connection.

    As I wrote, I am looking for RELIABLE instructions for establishing such a
    connection between two PC running WINDOWS-2000.

    In news:A37D4FDD-AAE3-420C-9323-CB13E6701C4F@microsoft.com,
    ATK31 <ATK31@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > "Snarky Parker" wrote:
    >
    >> It sounds like you already have a peer-to-peer connection. What
    >> other features are you looking for?
    >
    > I DO NOT have a peer-to-peer connection.

    Yes, you do. Whether it's configured properly, and working, remains to be
    seen - but you haven't explained what you've done, how they're configured,
    how you're testing, what errors you're getting, etc.

    > As I wrote, I am looking for RELIABLE instructions for establishing
    > such a connection between two PC running WINDOWS-2000.

    Try www.wown.com for some help. You need to be using a crossover cable, or
    you need to get a hub/switch and two straight-through cables, for
    starters....and then you need to install/configure a network protocol,
    (stick with TCP/IP only) and make sure each machine is in the same subnet
    but with unique IP addresses.

    Once you can ping each computer by IP address from the other, you have some
    place to start. Then, it's a matter of setting up shares, and setting up
    permissions - if you use identical logins/passwords on each computer, this
    is a lot easier.

    Lanwench,

    Thank you for your response.

    I DO NOT have a peer-to-peer connection -- there is no connection unless
    data are transmitted between the nodes of a link.

    I know that I "need to install/configure a network protocol, .... and make
    sure each machine is in the same subnet but with unique IP addresses."

    My humble request was for RELIABLE INSTRUCTIONS for connecting two PC
    running WINDOWS-2000, i.e., INSTRUCTIONS for configuring a network protocol,
    etc.

    There is probably some tutorial on this topic.

    Thank you for your help.

    What you need to accomplish your 2-PC file transfer is a setup called a
    Windows Workgroup.

    This requires an 'ethernet-type' networking card in each machine, and an
    ethernet cable between the two cards.

    All necessary software is included in W2k. You may have to use the
    'Add/Remove Programs' control panel applet with the W2k CD to install
    some networking software you may not have installed originally. Don't
    try to do that until you've installed the hardware (below).

    Many many tutorials have been written on this. W2k "Help" has the info
    you need, too.

    Install and connect the cards/cable first if your PCs are not already so
    equipped. (Some newer PCs have the network card built into the mainboard.)

    Then do what the tutorial you found in Help or by Googling for windows
    workgroup (which you printed, of course) instructs you to do.

    In news:D05793B5-2618-4C44-9239-F495C3859D24@microsoft.com,
    ATK31 <ATK31@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > Lanwench,
    >
    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > I DO NOT have a peer-to-peer connection -- there is no connection
    > unless data are transmitted between the nodes of a link.

    OK, have it your way - if you have two computers connected, you have a
    network. If you have no central server, it's peer to peer in my book.

    > I know that I "need to install/configure a network protocol, ....
    > and make sure each machine is in the same subnet but with unique IP
    > addresses."
    >
    > My humble request was for RELIABLE INSTRUCTIONS for connecting two PC
    > running WINDOWS-2000, i.e., INSTRUCTIONS for configuring a network
    > protocol, etc.

    Sure, and the website I posted is one option.

    > There is probably some tutorial on this topic.

    You may find some there - or try posting in a Windows networking group.

    > Thank you for your help.

    No problem - note that typing in all caps, even for emphasis, is considered
    "shouting" and may put some people off as it is considered rude by many.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Dan Seur,

    Your statement "Many many tutorials have been written on this" is the
    ultimate "good answer" to ANY question posted here, isn't it?

    " wrote:

    > What you need to accomplish your 2-PC file transfer is a setup called a
    > Windows Workgroup.
    >
    > This requires an 'ethernet-type' networking card in each machine, and an
    > ethernet cable between the two cards.
    >
    > All necessary software is included in W2k. You may have to use the
    > 'Add/Remove Programs' control panel applet with the W2k CD to install
    > some networking software you may not have installed originally. Don't
    > try to do that until you've installed the hardware (below).
    >
    > Many many tutorials have been written on this. W2k "Help" has the info
    > you need, too.
    >
    > Install and connect the cards/cable first if your PCs are not already so
    > equipped. (Some newer PCs have the network card built into the mainboard.)
    >
    > Then do what the tutorial you found in Help or by Googling for windows
    > workgroup (which you printed, of course) instructs you to do.
    >
    > ATK31 wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking for RELIABLE instructions for connecting two PC running
    > > WINDOWS-2000.
    > >
    > > The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a cable.
    > >
    > > The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
    > > access to the Internet is required.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    A quick Google using the search argument:
    "windows workgroup" setup
    yields ~6,740 hits.

    The 21st of these, the first hit on my third displayed page, is:
    <http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/a/mynetworkplaces.htm>
    which I believe is what you're looking for.

    I could be wrong, of course. You want me to phone and read it to you?

    As a matter of fact, many of the Qs asked here have been asked &
    answered earlier here and elsewhere. Most often, however, it's just as
    easy to post a complete answer as it is to point out the above or even
    to provide a pointer to the earlier thread. In this case, however, I
    felt that your post asked for a bit much, and did so rather naively.
    Who, for example, determines what your threshhold of "RELIABLE" is? And
    how hard do you expect anyone here to work to meet it?

    Perhaps networking vocabulary is the basic problem here. Trust me, all
    you want is the simplest form of "workgroup". Exotica you don't need for
    file sharing. Security, your call of course, but if these systems are in
    your house, not much of a problem. Wireless? Why bother with just 2
    machines, unless the house/office setup is such that running a wire
    involves drilling holes in the handcarved wainscoating. And so on.

    See my next post for more - that may be VERY HELPFUL!

    :-)

    ATK31 wrote:

    > Dan Seur,
    >
    > Your statement "Many many tutorials have been written on this" is the
    > ultimate "good answer" to ANY question posted here, isn't it?
    >

    > " wrote:
    >

    >>What you need to accomplish your 2-PC file transfer is a setup called a
    >>Windows Workgroup.
    >>
    >>This requires an 'ethernet-type' networking card in each machine, and an
    >>ethernet cable between the two cards.
    >>
    >>All necessary software is included in W2k. You may have to use the
    >>'Add/Remove Programs' control panel applet with the W2k CD to install
    >>some networking software you may not have installed originally. Don't
    >>try to do that until you've installed the hardware (below).
    >>
    >>Many many tutorials have been written on this. W2k "Help" has the info
    >>you need, too.
    >>
    >>Install and connect the cards/cable first if your PCs are not already so
    >>equipped. (Some newer PCs have the network card built into the mainboard.)
    >>
    >>Then do what the tutorial you found in Help or by Googling for windows
    >>workgroup (which you printed, of course) instructs you to do.
    >>
    >>ATK31 wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am looking for RELIABLE instructions for connecting two PC running
    >>>WINDOWS-2000.
    >>>
    >>>The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a cable.
    >>>
    >>>The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
    >>>access to the Internet is required.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    1. Hit START.
    2. Hit HELP.
    3. Enter WORKGROUP.
    4. Hit LIST TOPICS.
    5. Highlight CREATE A PEER-TO-PEER NETWORK.
    6. Hit DISPLAY.
    7. READ AND DO EXACTLY WHAT THE RELIABLE STEP-BY-STEP TUTORIAL SAYS.

    For what it's worth (you may know all this already):

    A workgroup is a peer-to-peer network, a form of LAN. This means that
    there is no heirarchy, no central control really; the member PCs
    interoperate in ad hoc fashion - they actually hold elections to see
    who's in charge right now. Like small boys throwing dice to see who's IT
    when the game starts.

    To share resources - say, partitions, directories, or individual files -
    those resources must be set as "shared" at the PC where they reside. A
    shared partition shares all its contents; a shared directory shares all
    its subdirs and files, and so on.

    For some years now I have shared partitions on my 4-machine workgroup
    LAN. I run extensive backups of numerous large files daily. The LAN has
    run on a succession of different media, and as PCs aged they were
    replaced, all without a hiccup. Last year I put the workgroup on
    wireless, and now all 4 machines in 2 buildings have connectivity not
    only to each other but also thru an integrated cablemodem to the web.
    Very handy for me, but more than it seems you want right now.

    ATK31 wrote:

    > Dan Seur,
    >
    > Your statement "Many many tutorials have been written on this" is the
    > ultimate "good answer" to ANY question posted here, isn't it?
    >

    > " wrote:
    >

    >>What you need to accomplish your 2-PC file transfer is a setup called a
    >>Windows Workgroup.
    >>
    >>This requires an 'ethernet-type' networking card in each machine, and an
    >>ethernet cable between the two cards.
    >>
    >>All necessary software is included in W2k. You may have to use the
    >>'Add/Remove Programs' control panel applet with the W2k CD to install
    >>some networking software you may not have installed originally. Don't
    >>try to do that until you've installed the hardware (below).
    >>
    >>Many many tutorials have been written on this. W2k "Help" has the info
    >>you need, too.
    >>
    >>Install and connect the cards/cable first if your PCs are not already so
    >>equipped. (Some newer PCs have the network card built into the mainboard.)
    >>
    >>Then do what the tutorial you found in Help or by Googling for windows
    >>workgroup (which you printed, of course) instructs you to do.
    >>
    >>ATK31 wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am looking for RELIABLE instructions for connecting two PC running
    >>>WINDOWS-2000.
    >>>
    >>>The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a cable.
    >>>
    >>>The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
    >>>access to the Internet is required.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

Internet Access PCS Windows