New D&D Computer Game

Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall it
allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

Thanks
Brian
16 answers Last reply
More about computer game

    Brian wrote:

    > Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
    > saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
    > tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall it
    > allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

    Temple of Elemental Evil, and I've also heard that it's very buggy, even
    after the patches. Can't verify that though, but many people say it.
    They could just be repeating what they are hearing, too, though.

    Brian wrote:
    > Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
    > saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
    > tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall it
    > allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

    Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
    has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
    the bargain bin very fast...
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

    "Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    > Brian wrote:
    > > Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when
    > > saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
    > > tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall
    it
    > > allows you to have more than one PC in the party.
    >

    > Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
    > has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
    > the bargain bin very fast...

    I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed and
    tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
    manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped playing
    (OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character creation).

    I've just finished Gothic 2 and am working on Morrowind now ... getting
    Sacred and Arx Fatalis ... not sure when I'll get back to it.

    Mike
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    > > Brian wrote:
    > > > Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day
    when
    > > > saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules.
    Anyone
    > > > tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do
    recall
    > it
    > > > allows you to have more than one PC in the party.
    > >

    > > Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
    > > has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
    > > the bargain bin very fast...
    >
    > I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed and
    > tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
    > manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped playing
    > (OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character
    creation).

    I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download from
    fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion of
    course....

    I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
    wouldn't have bothered buying it :(

    It looks good, but was as buggy as hell on first release, a patch fixed some
    of the problems but not all. Problems I (and others) had were monsters
    spawning inside walls, when you rest, meant to be random encounters I think
    but because the creatures spawn in the walls you cannot attack them, but
    also cannot rest because there are 'creatures nearby..'. You can recruit
    NPC's into your party yes, but you don't have much control of them outside
    of combat, for instance they will loot corpses after a battle and swipe all
    the loot. Sometimes they will nick so much that they become encumbered and
    can't move at full speed, they should sell this by themselves but due to a
    bug(?) don't always bother... and you can't access their inventory. You want
    some good item of equipment they have? Time to pummel them till dead or out
    cold. Some of the quests are also bugged IIRC.

    I would suggest checking the official forums before buying; I gave up a
    while ago, all these issues may have been fixed by now.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2DE22428

    Dave
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message

    > "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    > when
    > Anyone
    > recall
    > > it
    > > >

    > > > Probably "Temple of Elemental Evil". Have not played it myself. Rumour
    > > > has it the pathfinding is awful. I do note it seems to have fallen to
    > > > the bargain bin very fast...
    > >
    > > I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed
    and
    > > tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
    > > manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped
    playing
    > > (OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character
    > creation).
    > >

    > I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download from
    > fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion of
    > course....
    >
    > I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
    > wouldn't have bothered buying it :(
    >
    > It looks good, but was as buggy as hell

    How do you know how buggy hell is?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Sloth wrote:

    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2DE22428

    Totally unrelated and just FYI, but have you ever used www.tinyurl.com?
    It is a shorter URL and doesn't have the ad page prior to going to the
    link. Your like above is:

    http://tinyurl.com/yuluj

    nib
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >"Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn**JUNK**@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    >> when
    >> Anyone
    >> recall
    >> > it

    >> > I have it - got it for pretty cheap 'new in box' on eBay. I installed
    >and
    >> > tried to play it. It is pretty nice looking, but I thought I read the
    >> > manual decently and didn't see how to cast spells ... so I stopped
    >playing
    >> > (OK, that was a total of ~1 hour including install and character
    >> creation).
    >> >

    >> I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download from
    >> fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion of
    >> course....
    >>
    >> I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
    >> wouldn't have bothered buying it :(
    >>
    >> It looks good, but was as buggy as hell
    >
    >How do you know how buggy hell is?

    Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
    good clue.

    Xocyll
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    > "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >

    > >"Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> when
    > >> Anyone
    > >> recall

    Rumour

    > >and
    > >playing
    > >> creation).
    > >> >

    > >> I bought it as soon as it came out - in fact I got the full download
    from
    > >> fileplanet, buying it online. What follows is just my personal opinion
    of
    > >> course....
    > >>
    > >> I *really* wish I had waited for a demo, then played that first, then I
    > >> wouldn't have bothered buying it :(
    > >>
    > >> It looks good, but was as buggy as hell
    > >
    > >How do you know how buggy hell is?
    >
    > Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
    > good clue.

    Flies aren't bugs
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I take it you have never been to New Jersey...

    > How do you know how buggy hell is?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > I've just finished Gothic 2 and am working on Morrowind now ... getting
    > Sacred and Arx Fatalis ... not sure when I'll get back to it.

    Ive been playing sacred, and I regret buying it.
    The world is very repetitious, and it is repeatedly crashing and
    disconnecting.
    The play is laggy. The realms are full of hacks and they are going to wipe
    everything.
    The classes arnt balanced. Battle mage is very very weak. Spells take ages
    to regen to you spend half your time running around being chased while spel
    is refreshing. (No mana pool)
    In the event that I can play for a decent time, I get bored after about 30
    mins.

    After being out for about a month, its about beta-test condition now. Maybe
    in a few patches it will be ok. See what people say on the forums.
    Diablo2 is a far better game IMO.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    nib wrote:

    > Sloth wrote:
    >

    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2DE22428
    > >

    > Totally unrelated and just FYI, but have you ever used www.tinyurl.com?
    > It is a shorter URL and doesn't have the ad page prior to going to the
    > link. Your like above is:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yuluj

    Tinyurl also doesn't let you see the url before sending you on to it. So
    someone might send you to tubgirl or goat. For example.

    --
    Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
    Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

    "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    >> "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >>

    >> >"Sloth" <dave@sloth.plus.com> wrote in message

    >day

    >Rumour

    >installed
    >> >and
    >the
    >> >playing

    >from
    >of

    >> >How do you know how buggy hell is?
    >>
    >> Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
    >> good clue.
    >
    >Flies aren't bugs

    Bug is a colloquial term for insect and a fly certainly is an insect.

    The term "bug" for problems in software and hardware traces back to
    finding actual insects.

    See the Jargon Dictionary:

    http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/b/bug.html

    Xocyll
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    This is Temple of Evil. It is based on 3.5 rules and it is the
    closest game I have seen to paper D&D combat. The story is weak and
    there are 2 Temple modules for NWN that follow the same story w/out
    the same quests.

    However, if you want to get a D&D experience, try this game

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:50:00 -0400, "Brian" <reply2me@thenewsgroup>
    wrote:

    >Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
    >saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
    >tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall it
    >allows you to have more than one PC in the party.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Brian

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On 27-Apr-2004, "Brian" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote:

    > Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day when I
    > saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
    > tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do recall
    > it
    > allows you to have more than one PC in the party.

    If it's Temple of Elemental Evil, then I chime in saying that this is a GOOD
    game that properly emulates tabletop D&D. Out of the box it is pretty buggy,
    but once you patch it, it does run and run well. It's turn-based combat and
    strategic, not real-time and based on quick reflexes like NWN. The graphics
    are pretty good, the spells work properly(such as independently targeting
    Magic Missile and Fireballs the enemies don't get to run away from), and
    overall it's a challenging but not overly difficult game, especially if you
    know your D&D. Unfortunately, it's not a very deep game as it's based on a
    very old module that was just a flimsy excuse for killing monsters and
    stealing loot. It's also not a very long game, but has good replayability if
    you want to try different class/race party combos. The henchmen have been
    improved somewhat in the patch, but you still have to let them loot their
    share if you want to keep them(though what they want differs). Finally, this
    game was made with D&D players in mind. If you don't understand D&D 3.5, or
    are new to D&D in general, expect a steep learning curve. It also boasts an
    Ironman mode in which you only get to save when you quit(no quicksaving
    mid-fight to avoid bad rolls).
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >

    > >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    > >> "Insane Ranter" <whoo@hooo.me> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > >> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    > >day

    > >Rumour

    > >installed
    > >the

    > >from
    > >of

    > >> Hey, one of Satan's names is "Lord of the Flies", that ought to be a
    > >> good clue.
    > >
    > >Flies aren't bugs
    >
    > Bug is a colloquial term for insect and a fly certainly is an insect.
    >
    > The term "bug" for problems in software and hardware traces back to
    > finding actual insects.
    >
    > See the Jargon Dictionary:
    >
    > http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/b/bug.html

    Still doesn't mean they are in the genuis bug
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >

    >> Actually, I Was in the store picking up a copy of NWN the other day
    >> when I
    >> saw a game on the shelf that says its based on the D&D 3.5 rules. Anyone
    >> tried it yet? I can't even remember the name of it. Although I do
    >> recall it
    >> allows you to have more than one PC in the party.
    >

    > Temple of Elemental Evil, and I've also heard that it's very buggy, even
    > after the patches. Can't verify that though, but many people say it.
    > They could just be repeating what they are hearing, too, though.

    I hacve the game and have installed the patches. It is still a 5 star
    cockroach motel.

    Kharsis

Computers Games Video Games