Want to run 2 PSU'S in my stacker

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
I finally have the hardware that I could use 2 X-Connect PSU's in my coolermaster Stacker 2 case.
Have there been any problems doing this, I know at first there were concerns, but now hear that as long as they are 2 simlilar PSU's I shoiuld be fine, correct?
Also, can I use 1 psu to basicaly run hardware etc... and then the other run my cooling and whats left (I have a aqugate mini for the cpu, another water cooler for the vid card, and 5-6 fans..)
Thanks in advance, its forums like these that make life so much easier and safer.... 8)
DaMorbid1

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Knowing your system specs would be helpful. I am not sure why you need two PSUs, so specs would aid in that understanding.

I know that having similar - or better yet- identical PSUs will help ensure that there are not major differences in amperage and such - a minor concern - but a concern nonetheless.

Regardless, the theory is that one PSU will power MB - and be triggered by the on/off switch on your case. The other PSU will be triggered by the powerup of the first PSU or by the same switch depending on interconnect you use.

Normally, I believe that you would want to power your MB and graphics off of seperate PSUs. Where you power your Drives and Cooling is up for a bit of argument. Then you would power your Graphics and cooling off of the same PSU - unless you are powering a water cooled environment off of that PSU.

Since you have Watercooling, and a fairly extensive one at that (I think). If you simply power your cooling solution off of one PSU, then you do not need to worry about having similar or identical PSUs (as they will never really be part of the same environment).

These are just some initial thoughts - knowing your specs will be helpful.

Cheers.

It should work w/o any problem, just leave output rails of each power supply indpendent (don't splice them together) so you can load-balance.

The psu's don't have to be the same kind/size, I used both ATX and the old AT type PSU back in dec '04 when I upgraded my XP 2800 to an A64-3400 and got a zalman fanless for my 9800 pro (first pic).
<-- thumb links

I started to get some blue screens, random crashes and lockups during OC'd heavy gaming, got a 1" hole saw, 3/8" drill bit, some 2-sided tape, liquid nails, a couple of small zip ties, and blue electrical tape (2nd and 3rd pic). The original ATX unit was 250w and the add-on was an AT 250w (I was able to mod the power switch flush to where the old power cable was, so I just had to manually power it on when I pushed the PC power button) :lol: I hooked it up to all the peripherals and the GPU power to the new one so the original 250w unit was able to be dedicated to the ATX and P4 power connectors only - it was much more stable.

The last two was my old fileserver, I started adding the lots of hdds, and after the 6th hdd was added, I got no post! What to do... Off to the tool box again, this time the 3/8 drill bit and a jigsaw was all I needed for the full-tower in-case dual PSU mod - I roughed a pattern with the drill bit then connect-the-dots w/ the jigsaw (maybe "roughed" is an understatement) definitely ugly looking but functional. Again it was another old 250w AT unit so I just hung the switch out of one of the 3 1/4" bays. I also had to sacrifice the top rear case fan, so I put in a high-output (and loud) 80mm ball-bearing unit. This one had an old Antec 300w originally, with the 250w I was able to have a dozen HDDs and 2 optical drives.

must be nice to have a case that already has two psu mounts 8)

Since yours are both ATX you just have to sync up the green and one of the black ground wires to / from the atx connector and they will power on in unison.
atx5.jpg

the 24-pinout will be slightly different so don't pay attention to the #s :wink:

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
System specs will be:
Intel C2D E6400 (With coolermaster aquagate mini water cooler with a different 120mm fan that has 75-100 cfm instead of the default 7cfm 8()
Asrock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard (want to run agp now, update to PCIE later)
2+ 1gb sticks ram OCZ Dual Channel Gold pc667
AGP BFG GeForce 6800Gt Oc (with a Evercool water cooler with a 90mm 85cfm fan instead of default one and a Koolance modified NV2 waterblock, I also have a Fan card with 2 fans in a PCI slot that blows up on the graphics card, butwith the modified Koolance I may not use it)
Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card w/ Logitech 970181 Z5450 5.1 Digital Wireless Speakers
1 160gb hard drive (would like to run Raid soon)
Coolermaster Stacker 2 case w/motherboard cooling fan etc....
Aero Gate Watch (temp gauges with fan controls etc...)
2+ DVD/RW CD/RW roms
Want to ru 2+ X-Connect 500watt PSU's
Also have 2 120mm 60-80cfm (intake on front) and another 80mm fan (exaust on top)

The Coolermaster Stacker case comes with the hookup for the 2 PSU's, they can be installed 1 on top, 1 on the bottom, very nice setup actualy, has an air intake in the bottom for this as well.

Thanks as always for all your help people!
DasMorbid1

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hiya,

Ya the stackers a lovely case with some great options, i have two seperate power supplies and im using the factory Y that lets them both turn on of the same power switch, i have heard and not sure but i took the advice anways that its best to use your best powersupply for the Motherboard and the video cards, ive heard of at least a coupla problems when people ran seperate power sources to the video card, however now days they have power supplies for video cards only so im not sure if those were wireing issues, power supplies without pfc or what exactly.

Anyways what im doing is running my motherboard, my video cards off one power supply.

My drives and cooling and anything else off the other.

Works for me.