Any suggestions? TIA

From: "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I have a W2K server, fully patched which will no longer connect to the
| internet. IE 6 just hangs whenever I try to open it. No error, it just
| dies. The same thing happens when I try to open the "connections" tab to
| review the settings.
| I can ping outside my network by IP and name.
| The only changes made to the server have been the MS updates which I apply
| manually.
| Also, my AV software is unable to pull down updates. I think the two
| problems are related.
| Any suggestions? TIA

Sure can be related. You can have adware./ spyware and/or a virus.

First I suggest using BHOdemon v2.0 to see if the problem is a Browser Helper Object
blocking IE.
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

Second I suggest the following anti adware/spyware software...

Ad-aware SE
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpyBot Search and Destroy:
http://security.kolla.de/

Finally, you can use the following tool to remove viruses and other malware...

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David,
Thanks for the advice. The BHOdemon just sits there when I try to run it.
It says it is downloading a local file but never completes.
Adaware (with latest def files) found a few (25) with only 8 critical (Alexa).
SpyBot S&D found nothing. I ran a full virus scan with NAI, it found
nothing. I downloaded the latest stinger, it found nothing.
The interesting thing is that I am having all kinds of problems doing basic
things. For example, I purchased a 160GB external drive to make a backup of
the data. The "found new hardware wizard" appears and just stays there. I
tried to remove my AV software and re-install. I couldn't remove it. I
tried to uninstall my tape backup software (Veritas), I couldn't uninstall
it. It is like this machine is posessed.
Any suggestions, anyone..... TIA

From: "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com>

| David,
| Thanks for the advice. The BHOdemon just sits there when I try to run it.
| It says it is downloading a local file but never completes.
| Adaware (with latest def files) found a few (25) with only 8 critical (Alexa).
| SpyBot S&D found nothing. I ran a full virus scan with NAI, it found
| nothing. I downloaded the latest stinger, it found nothing.
| The interesting thing is that I am having all kinds of problems doing basic
| things. For example, I purchased a 160GB external drive to make a backup of
| the data. The "found new hardware wizard" appears and just stays there. I
| tried to remove my AV software and re-install. I couldn't remove it. I
| tried to uninstall my tape backup software (Veritas), I couldn't uninstall
| it. It is like this machine is posessed.
| Any suggestions, anyone..... TIA

I don't know what you mean by "I ran a full virus scan with NAI, it found nothing" If
anything it is a McAfee VirusScan version and Stinger targets 53 infectors and their
variants and uses a very small subset of the superset that the McAfee VirusScan is capable
of which is approx. 145255 infectors. So running Stinger, a McAfee/AVERT tool, after
running McAfee VirusScan was a fruitless endeavour. However, the Multi AV scanning tool I
provided you adds Trend Sysclean and the Sophos Command Line Scanner to the equation and
they may find what McAfee AV missed. For exmple, I know for a fact that Sophos which catch
the "W32/PrsKey-A" Trojan while McAfee DAT v4567 does not (albeit it may be added to McAfee
DAT v4568 and caught as "Generic Keylogger.c ).

It could be that your OS is just corrupted.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David, Thanks for the advice. I will remember the tips for the AV software.
I wanted to let you know that I found a solution to the problem. It turns
out I am not alone. I found a thread from 8/15 concerning problems after an
update. The thread title is "Issue After Windows Update". Dave Patrick had
the solution. It turns out it was a problem with my APC software. After I
upgraded it, everything started working. Thanks.

From: "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com>

| David, Thanks for the advice. I will remember the tips for the AV software.
| I wanted to let you know that I found a solution to the problem. It turns
| out I am not alone. I found a thread from 8/15 concerning problems after an
| update. The thread title is "Issue After Windows Update". Dave Patrick had
| the solution. It turns out it was a problem with my APC software. After I
| upgraded it, everything started working. Thanks.

Thank you for updating the thread Bryan.