Sign in with
Your question

Need PSU recomendation.

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2007 3:00:16 PM

I need to upgrade my psu and was thinking about buying the model by Hiper. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

My current PSU is a 450 watt psu that came with my Raidmax case.

More about : psu recomendation

January 9, 2007 3:39:34 PM

what are your pc components?
January 9, 2007 3:45:36 PM

most of them are in my signature, and then add DVD burner and a regualr dvd read only drive.
Related resources
January 9, 2007 3:56:05 PM

Has worked flawlessly in my current system for over 7 months now.
I run this box 24/7 at that.
I'm quite surprised by the quality myself. I usually won't deviate from my usual Manufacturers *OCZ, Enermax, PCP&C, Antec*
But I couldnt resist the asthetic value of this model so I went for it.

If you don't plan to heavily overclock your system or anything I say go for it.
January 9, 2007 3:59:00 PM

Your system shouldn't need such an expensive power supply, or such high wattage, but if you want to spend the money, get a high quality one:
SeaSonic S12-380 ATX12V 380W Power Supply

This is at newegg for 75.
January 9, 2007 4:01:14 PM

Cool man thanks for the info.
January 9, 2007 4:02:34 PM

Quote:
Your system shouldn't need such an expensive power supply, or such high wattage, but if you want to spend the money, get a high quality one:

Personally I don't see a problem with having a lil headroom in the PSU area for future upgrades.
January 9, 2007 4:06:57 PM

Quote:

That psu doesnt even compare to the one I have picked out. 10a on one of the 12v rails and 15a on the other.

Im trying to get better OCs on my system and dont want to fry my current one. Also if im going to be buying a new psu I want it to be as future proof as possible.

Thanks for your opinion though, and the reply.
January 9, 2007 4:13:37 PM

have you done any OCing with this this PSU in your system?
January 9, 2007 4:22:53 PM

Just a suggestion - but IF you think you might want to go to a DX10 Graphics card in the near future, then you might want to check out the nVidia site for their supported 8800GTX/GTS power supplies.

If you think this might be an option, I know the Fortron GLN 700W supports the 8800s in SLI - and it's around $130 on Newegg. I have the 600W Fortron, and it will support one, but not two of these cards.

I suggest going to the nVidia website for this, as a reference for what the DX10 cards currently need. It is likely that the DX10s from ATI will use around the same amount of power - if not less.

Cheers.
January 9, 2007 4:34:40 PM

I've had this PSU in Blue with the Built in LED running in my systems for about a year (orig in a Athlon XP now an AM2). It runs great, nice & quiet, modular connectors for all peripherals, mobo connectors are hardwired. They also have a newer version that offers 700w if you want to cover for usage of an 8800gtx or other high end dx10 card in the future. FrozenCPU
January 9, 2007 4:58:52 PM

Nice thanks for the info i will keep it in mind.
January 9, 2007 5:01:05 PM

I do plan on upgrading to a dx10 card but i dont know how soon. So 600 watts is the minimum to run the current DX10 cards, and most likely the ATI's when they come out , and 700 watts for sli or crossfire ?
January 9, 2007 5:37:39 PM

It really depends on the Amps and the rails. Between the two Fortron GLN PSUs - the 600W has the juice to power one GTX, the 700W version has the juice to power the SLI version.

If I had to choose again, I would go for the 700W Fortron GLN - as it's only around $130 and provides a great deal of headroom. Fortron PSUs are very solid, they have a strong reputation, they are quiet, and have good efficiency. Don't get me wrong, there are other quality PSU manufacturers out there.

IF you read the PSU 101 sticky in the Forums, and go through the various links on the manufacturers - I am sure you will have a better understanding of what to look for.

If you choose to be lazy - get the Fortron GLN 700 W - it will do what you need and more. Otherwise do some reading.

Good luck.
January 9, 2007 5:44:29 PM

Quote:
I do plan on upgrading to a dx10 card but i dont know how soon. So 600 watts is the minimum to run the current DX10 cards, and most likely the ATI's when they come out , and 700 watts for sli or crossfire ?

No, only if you think you'd buy the highest end cards and SLI them, would you need anywhere near 600W, not 700W.

However, you're not getting true wattage with that PSU, you're getting $85 dollars worth. Welcome to the PSU games, ratings are just paper specs that depend on the rating system used, in the end the actual components necessary to support any given wattage and a reasonable lifespan, still don't vary by much.

Keep in mind that your Raidmax 450 is not a typical 450W PSU, most major brand 450W PSU would run a midgrade system and midgrade DX10 video card. Even so, better to have a PSU with more reserve current than you need, than too little. In worst case, you have a PSU more capable of handling the NEXT upgrade after the one currently planned.

The bottom line- factor for the specific parts, not a generalization like DX10. Specific CPU, # of hard drives, and specific video card. Some DX10 parts will even consume less power due to smaller process size, but to pick a wattage you'd have to nail down exact parts powered, else overbuy.
January 9, 2007 5:57:16 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.
!