Windows 2000 profile creation problem

My company just recently upgraded a large Windows NT4 based network to a
Windows 2000 based network. Which is cool, but we've run into a few glitches
with some of our user accounts that I can't seem to fix. During the upgrade
we migrated all the user accounts, minus their profiles. Unfortunatley a few
of our user accounts didn't automatically create new profiles under Windows
2000 when they logged on for the first time. Which is odd considering 95% of
them did.

I've been running searches through technet and can't seem to locate a reason
why this would be happening, nor a solution to how I can correct this. I've
already tried manually creating a profile directory for the accounts, but the
server still doesn't create the profile information for them. It just allows
the user to log on with a default/local profile, which of course doesn't then
run our slew of custom scripts that other normal users do.

Has anyone seen this problem before, or have any suggestions on how I can
force Windows 2000 to create user profiles for these few accounts? I know I
can delete the accounts and create new ones, but I'd rather not have to go
through the process of moving the users email (now also on Exchange 2000).

From: "Iggep" <Iggep@discussions.microsoft.com>

| My company just recently upgraded a large Windows NT4 based network to a
| Windows 2000 based network. Which is cool, but we've run into a few glitches
| with some of our user accounts that I can't seem to fix. During the upgrade
| we migrated all the user accounts, minus their profiles. Unfortunatley a few
| of our user accounts didn't automatically create new profiles under Windows
| 2000 when they logged on for the first time. Which is odd considering 95% of
| them did.
|
| I've been running searches through technet and can't seem to locate a reason
| why this would be happening, nor a solution to how I can correct this. I've
| already tried manually creating a profile directory for the accounts, but the
| server still doesn't create the profile information for them. It just allows
| the user to log on with a default/local profile, which of course doesn't then
| run our slew of custom scripts that other normal users do.
|
| Has anyone seen this problem before, or have any suggestions on how I can
| force Windows 2000 to create user profiles for these few accounts? I know I
| can delete the accounts and create new ones, but I'd rather not have to go
| through the process of moving the users email (now also on Exchange 2000).

I ran into that when migrating a NT4 Domain into a OU of a AD Domain.

I renamed the old profile such as...

C:\Documents and Settings\lipman
C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak

I deleted the temporarilily created profile.

I then had the user re-logon and a new profile was created and then had the user logoff.

I then copied all the data from the old profile to the new profile including the NT User
Registry file using my account.

I then had the user re-logon and using their account I then edited the Registry such that
all Registry entries pointed to the right profile.

Its been almost a year since I did that migration so I may have forgotten a step or two but
that's what I remember.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> I ran into that when migrating a NT4 Domain into a OU of a AD Domain.
>
> I renamed the old profile such as...
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\lipman
> C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak
>
> I deleted the temporarilily created profile.
>
> I then had the user re-logon and a new profile was created and then had the user logoff.
>
> I then copied all the data from the old profile to the new profile including the NT User
> Registry file using my account.
>
> I then had the user re-logon and using their account I then edited the Registry such that
> all Registry entries pointed to the right profile.
>
> Its been almost a year since I did that migration so I may have forgotten a step or two but
> that's what I remember.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Its the weirdest problem, and really stumping me. Because Windows 2000
should have created the profile automatically when they logged on for the
first time. And thats exactly what didn't happen for these few users. As I
had said, 95% of our users have no problem, so this isn't an issue with the
default user account/profile we set up for our profile template. And like I
said, we didn't migrate the old profiles to work from. So nothing to copy
here unfortunately.

What I'd really like to find out is why this happened, and why I can't force
Windows 2000 to actually create a profile for this user when he/she logs on.