back and restore local windows 2000 users

Tags:
  • Windows 2000
  • Microsoft
  • Web Server
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 25, 2005 6:44:43 PM

I am moving users from one web server over to another - both are in the
same workgroup but not in a domain. Is there a way to copy the users
and passwords?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Emick
Programmer
Fox International

More about : back restore local windows 2000 users

August 28, 2005 10:55:01 PM

Well I can tell you what NOT to do....I tried to save the SAM file from
the one server and then load it onto another (using NTFS4DOS) -that is
a NO NO...doing this causes you to lose Network configuration, drive
configuration, and other devices cannot start up. In short the server
was hosed. Luckily I creaded ERD disk and backed up the 5 registry
hives. I had to restore from c:\winnt\repair\regback and copy each
file to c:\winnt\system32\config.

Still looking for a way, but for now I am manually copying the users
!