Certain web pages won't load

Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
systems on the network can load the page.

I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
nothing. This all happened about the same time.

Any ideas????

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am assuming that you can access some sites. Is this correct?

"MJD" wrote:

> Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
> cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
> be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
> systems on the network can load the page.
>
> I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
> downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
> clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
> nothing. This all happened about the same time.
>
> Any ideas????

Yes that is true. I can access stuff like google or msn and other sites.
There are a hand full or sites that don't work.

"Bryan" wrote:

> I am assuming that you can access some sites. Is this correct?
>
> "MJD" wrote:
>
> > Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
> > cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
> > be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
> > systems on the network can load the page.
> >
> > I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
> > downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
> > clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
> > nothing. This all happened about the same time.
> >
> > Any ideas????

Perhaps cookie-blocking is the problem? Some sites will not play if
cookies are blocked. Did the vendor change anything on the site?

MJD wrote:

> Yes that is true. I can access stuff like google or msn and other sites.
> There are a hand full or sites that don't work.
>
> "Bryan" wrote:
>

>>I am assuming that you can access some sites. Is this correct?
>>
>>"MJD" wrote:
>>

>>>Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
>>>cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
>>>be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
>>>systems on the network can load the page.
>>>
>>>I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
>>>downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
>>>clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
>>>nothing. This all happened about the same time.
>>>
>>>Any ideas????

No I dont believe it to be cookie blocking. Of the 5 having troubles, one I
set all the security settings to as low as they could go. I also added the
site to the trusted sites list. Still nothing.