Certain web pages won't load

Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
systems on the network can load the page.

I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
nothing. This all happened about the same time.

Any ideas????
4 answers Last reply
More about certain pages load

    I am assuming that you can access some sites. Is this correct?

    "MJD" wrote:

    > Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
    > cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
    > be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
    > systems on the network can load the page.
    >
    > I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
    > downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
    > clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
    > nothing. This all happened about the same time.
    >
    > Any ideas????

    Yes that is true. I can access stuff like google or msn and other sites.
    There are a hand full or sites that don't work.

    "Bryan" wrote:

    > I am assuming that you can access some sites. Is this correct?
    >
    > "MJD" wrote:
    >
    > > Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
    > > cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
    > > be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
    > > systems on the network can load the page.
    > >
    > > I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
    > > downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
    > > clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
    > > nothing. This all happened about the same time.
    > >
    > > Any ideas????

    Perhaps cookie-blocking is the problem? Some sites will not play if
    cookies are blocked. Did the vendor change anything on the site?

    MJD wrote:

    > Yes that is true. I can access stuff like google or msn and other sites.
    > There are a hand full or sites that don't work.
    >
    > "Bryan" wrote:
    >

    >>I am assuming that you can access some sites. Is this correct?
    >>
    >>"MJD" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just this past week approximately 5 of our computer running Windows 2000
    >>>cannot load a heavyily used vendor web page. It just says "The page cannot
    >>>be displayed". I can ping the web page using the URL and ip address. Other
    >>>systems on the network can load the page.
    >>>
    >>>I know a recent virus, zotob, has been affecting Windows 2000 systems, so I
    >>>downloaded a tool from Norton and Stringer from McAfee, but they come back
    >>>clean. It has to be a virus or spyware, but I run scans and come up wtih
    >>>nothing. This all happened about the same time.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas????

    No I dont believe it to be cookie blocking. Of the 5 having troubles, one I
    set all the security settings to as low as they could go. I also added the
    site to the trusted sites list. Still nothing.

    "Dan Seur" wrote:

    > Perhaps cookie-blocking is the problem? Some sites will not play if
    > cookies are blocked. Did the vendor change anything on the site?
    >
    > MJD wrote:
    >
    > > Yes that is true. I can access stuff like google or msn and other sites.
    > > There are a hand full or sites that don't work.
    > >
    > > "Bryan" wrote:
    > >

    > >>I am assuming that you can access some sites. Is this correct?

Windows 2000 Windows