Can surf but can't connect.

joetucker

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I've been having problems with my modem, but since then I've rebooted it (wiped settings) and my router. I can surf the internet but I can't connect to Xfire, Ventrilo, or any game servers. Last time it was a DNS problem and I only had to restart my computer, but I've restarted serveral times.. and it doesn't work. My modem: Speedstream 5200, My router: D-Link DI-624

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The Dlink router has application trigger ports you can use it to auto open up ports. When you set it up the application will try to access a port. This port will inturn open all the other ports needed for the application to work.

Dlink has an options for games.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
First of all, this will seem like a dumb question, but are you sure you can surf and aren't viewing cached copies of the pages? Unlikely but I had to ask. If you can't connect to ventrilo, there are a couple things you can try.

First off, try pinging the ventrilo server IP. If that doesn't work then try running a traceroute to see where the packets are dropping off. That will give you a starting point. If the packets are dropping at your router, then you definitely need to check it out more thoroughly.

You could try telnetting to the ventrilo server like so:
telnet <server ip> <server port>
If it establishes a connection then the network is probably working fine. If not, then you probably need to look at your router and firewall settings.

Most any router will have a default rule that allows any traffic from LAN hosts to go out to the internet. Ventrilo only uses one port afaik, so it should work fine like this. Try disabling the windows firewall completely, i.e. disable the service under control panel. I think it's called ICS and Windows Firewall or something similar.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
If he logs in to the router, he can check the connection status of the WAN port.

True, but ping could tell you the same thing with less trouble. :D

Plus, now that I think about it, the WAN status isn't always accurate on some routers. For instance, if the router comes up and leases an IP, but then the broadband goes down, it won't be reflected on the router unless it uses PPPoE or some other sort of authentication. The ethernet from the modem would still be seen as up, so the router would have no way to know the actual connection is down until it tries to renew the lease.

crazy69

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I also have basiclly the same problem, i can surf webpages,but i cant connect internet threw softwares example: pokerstars,teamspeak,lineage2,trackmania etc, i have turned off firewalls and reset router but nothing changes.My IP from ISP is dynamic so is not it. I dont know what you mean on forward the router or acess router can you help? Also to see those PPOE,DNS options thank you.