EPoX vs. ASUS 570 SLI

racerx_is_alive

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I'm putting together an AM2 computer, and had pretty much settled on the EPoX EP-MF570SLI mobo, when I decided that firewire would be pretty important. Up to that point, I was very impressed with the reviews I had read on that motherboard. I've recently decided to buy a digital camcorder, so I have two options. I can pick up a $10 PCI card that will provide firewire ports for me, or I can pick the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe. Price-wise, it's a wash.

The firewire card would be the only card in the PCI bus. Am I losing significant amounts of speed by having it on the PCI bus? Is the ASUS mobo good enough that I should pick it over the EPoX?

xmojo

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The firewire card would be the only card in the PCI bus. Am I losing significant amounts of speed by having it on the PCI bus? Is the ASUS mobo good enough that I should pick it over the EPoX?

Possibly. If my calculations are correct (if not, other readers feel free to correct me) the PCI bus runs at 33MB/s (33 Megabytes/sec) which translates to 264Mbps (264 Megabits per second). Firewire has a top speed potential of 400Mbps, so the PCI bus may not realise the potential of the Firewire card.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Possibly. If my calculations are correct (if not, other readers feel free to correct me) the PCI bus runs at 33MB/s (33 Megabytes/sec) which translates to 264Mbps (264 Megabits per second). Firewire has a top speed potential of 400Mbps, so the PCI bus may not realise the potential of the Firewire card.

Your calculations are off, PCI is 33Mhz 32-bit, 32-bit=4 bytes per clock 4 bytes per clock * 33Mhz = 133MB/sec

racerx_is_alive

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
So PCI bandwidth isn't an issue. Has anyone had good results with the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe? I've seen lots of reviews for the M2N32-SLI (the 590 board) but I'm having trouble finding much on their 570 version.